Subject: How common is owning more than 1 copy of a game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently taken some good natured jabs from friends over owning more than 1 copy of certain games. For me, some are sentimental and others because I can see enjoying the game long enough that I'd like to have something in more pristine condition.

Does anyone else do this? Which game(s) and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to own two copies of Agricola, so that one could stay sorted for 2p at home, and one could go to game night, and we wouldn't worry so much if something happened to it.

Also, I have multiple copies of things that I've thrifted. Many thrifters have lots of duplicates, especially when they do a lot of selling/trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I have multiple copies of the Axis & Allies family of games but only one copy of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own four copies of my favorite game Nuclear War,but they are all different printings

I own two copies of Glory to Rome,but that because when I bought the expansion, the cards didn't march so I had to buy a newer version so that they would match.

Own two copies of Speculation, but that because I found an original edition at a flea market for $10 store credit trade.

Not that it counts,but own multiple editiokns for a couple games where the rules have changed between editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see owning multiple copies for a few reasons. Deluxe editions for collecting, games going out of print to hold on to for resale later, games going out of print for when the current much played game wears out, replacing a previous edition...I'm sure there are many more reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents have the weird idea of always buying me a present that isn't on my wishlist. This means that if I tell them that I am enjoying a certain game that they will buy me a copy of it - not realising that I already own it. The worst is when they buy the same game for my kids since the kids usually want to keep it rather than return it for something else that we don't already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not own two copies of games to keep one "mint" but I do own a few games where I have more then one copy. Mostly it's becasue one copy has an interesting difference (where there is more then one edition).

Or where I have needed more components (such as Heroscape and Federation and empire).

I could understand doing this for a limited edition or deluxe version of a game, but not for a bog standard game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few games with multiple copies so that I can support a larger number of players.

Other reasons that make sense to me but I don't have the budget for:
For some games that are hard to replace, I could see having a backup copy for replacement parts.

indigopotter wrote:
We used to own two copies of Agricola, so that one could stay sorted for 2p at home, and one could go to game night, and we wouldn't worry so much if something happened to it.

That sounds like a cool idea too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I owned 2 copies of Star Realms to play 3/4 players.
But I have sold one and I have the other one on sale in order to buy only one copy of each stand alone box (but in French this time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
I own 1 copy of all my games. Although technically I'll be able to have 2 Cthulhu Wars games on the go at a time with the expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a few duplicate copies of games.

Dungeon Lords, Escape: The Curse of the Temple - had the regular edition, then bought the big box version. Should really get rid of the regular one.

Shadowrift, Wok Star - have both first and second editions. Should get rid of the old Shadowrift; tempting to keep old Wok Star as the two are a bit different.

Hanabi - have the original version (Hanabi and Ikebana). Bought a newer version as the cards were wearing out. Then was given the deluxe version with tiles. Not planning on getting rid of any of these.

Many miniatures games (Warhammer series, WH40K, Epic) - have multiple editions,but wouldn't get rid of the older ones as I still use all the minis.

Space Dealer - bought two copies to play up to 8 players. Have never used the 2nd copy. Should just get rid of it.

Factory Fun - first copy was damaged by water. Bought a copy to replace it, but somehow never opened it; just kept playing the water damaged one.

Friday - bought two copies so Lisa and I could both play at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had two copies of Animal Upon Animal so that we could have some longer and more epic games. I have since bought all the other versions of Animal Upon Animal so I sold the second copy of the base game. I need to post a picture of all my animals, it's crazy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
I've recently taken some good natured jabs from friends over owning more than 1 copy of certain games. For me, some are sentimental and others because I can see enjoying the game long enough that I'd like to have something in more pristine condition.

Does anyone else do this? Which game(s) and why?

Yes.

Squad Leader - 3x
Cross - 3x
Crescendo - 2x

Extra counter sets and mapboards - A lot X

There are several other dupes in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the card and tile version of Hanabi, same reason as the above person. I got the card version first. I prefer the tile version. The card version is great for travelling.

I have two copies of Salem, the small book version. I lost a token in my first copy. I could have asked the company for a replacement but the game is cheap enough I figured I would get another copy for replacement parts. I figure it wouldn't be the first time it will happen.

I have the version of Acquire that is all cardboard, which isn't very good. After the fact I got the 3M version from a trade. I will get the new version at some point and then the cardboard version will go away.

Technically multiple copies of Star Realms to be able to play with more than 2 players. Multiple copies of Epic to be able to use the Kickstarter god and demigod cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have extra copies of some games because I wanted extra parts, some for trade, others for more options as far as game play goes. For the most part though, with the exception of very few games I mainly have only a single copy in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought two copies of Mijnlieff so I could have many more board layouts and play a longer game with twice the number of pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doubled up on several card games where I want a copy for play at home and a copy for gaming on the go. I like having them stored in a different way so I can quickly grab and rotate what I want to play out and about.

I don't double up to have a spare copy in case of wear and tear. I sleeve cards as some kind of measure though queue folks saying they have a game from 1946 that they have played 33,000 times and didn't use sleeves and it still plays perfectly well.

They are correct I am sure but I trashed an unsleeved game in a matter of months.

Must be my shuffling.

blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having more than one copy of a game usually has to do with getting my hands on lots of extras of the components. For Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game buying a second copy of the starter doubled my number of TIE fighters and X-Wings, my dice (a necessity!), and my movement templates (an important back-up!). For Space Hulk, an expandable game, more corridor and room tiles means bigger missions and scenarios and more miniatures to populate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
I need to post a picture of all my animals, it's crazy!

post it! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own two copies of games that are based around the deck building mechanic.

And I mean true deck building, not deck pooling. They are very different.

That way my wife and I can each build whatever we want. Or with small two-player games it opens up very cool building ideas.

Big deck builders -
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Android: Netrunner
Vs System 2PCG: The Marvel Battles

Small two-player games -
Blue Moon
Catan Card Game
Scarab Lords

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
I think I have about five or six copies of the original Milton Bradley Gamemaster Axis & Allies because I keep finding them at yard sales and thrift stores and it's hard to pass up all those cool plastic bits for two or three bucks. It's a sickness, I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
I owned 2 copies of Star Realms to play 3/4 players.
But I have sold one and I have the other one on sale in order to buy only one copy of each stand alone box (but in French this time).

Noooooooo why? We need more people who can speak English, not less :'(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have several Go and Shogi sets, e.g. light portable sets vs nicer heavier non-folding boards.

Melody303 wrote:
I bought two copies of Mijnlieff so I could have many more board layouts and play a longer game with twice the number of pieces.

I have 2 Trax sets and 2 Palago sets for sort of similar reasons: they are tile laying games which can continue indefinitely until someone wins, and occasionally one set runs out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep second copies of our favorites at the lakehouse.

I've also mistakenly bought an extra copy on occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An extra copy of a favored game that has gone out of print is a form of insurance against unforseen damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.