Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Enemy engagement with multiple valid targets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If an enemy spawns or readies in a location with more that one Investigator, and that enemy has no Prey instruction, who does it Engage with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All things being equal, it will engage the investigator who drew the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
valpocarnie wrote:

What if no-one drew the card (as in the second case, that being an enemy readying, not spawning).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
valpocarnie wrote:

What if no-one drew the card (as in the second case, that being an enemy readying, not spawning).

I've been playing it where the investigators choose (not sure if that's the official rule or not).

I just like to picture Skids yelling out "Hey Ugly! Over here!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Basic rule of thumbs of Enemies:

Whoever draws the monster, gets to fight the monster.

This is only overridden by Spawn effects (Spawn tells you where the Enemy must appear at).

Prey is sort of a tie breaker for the monster to decide whom it will fight if it is not currently fighting anyone. If a monster is currently engaged with anyone, it ignores its Prey ability and continues the current fight.

So if you draw an enemy with no Spawn effects, it is immediately engaged with you. Even if that enemy has Prey instructions, if you drew it and somebody else is better qualified, it is engaged with you. You draw it, you fight it. Base rule of thumb.

However, if you manage to evade your enemy, then it will use its Prey ability (if any) to see whom it will attack. If there's an enemy readying in a room with 2+ investigators, then Prey will determine who the enemy fights. If the enemy has no Prey stat, then the First Investigator decides who the enemy will engage (be nice to your First Investigator).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Learn to Play guide: "Enemy—When an enemy card is drawn, that enemy spawns engaged with the investigator who drew the card, unless it has a “Spawn –” instruction."

EDIT: I originally posted the following, but it doesn't actually apply here! But it might in certain circumstances, so I'll leave it below.

So long as the enemy has no prey requirements, the official rule is actually that the lead investigator chooses who the monster engages. Also in the Learn to Play guide: "If multiple investigators are at the same location as a ready enemy, the lead investigator chooses which of those investigators the enemy engages" (p. 13)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
valpocarnie wrote:

I see nothing in the rules indicating this is the case. When you draw an enemy with Spawn instructions, you add it to an appropriate location, ready and unengaged. When a ready, unengaged enemy shares a location with multiple investigators, you get to choose who it engages (respecting Prey rules, if applicable).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:
valpocarnie wrote:

I see nothing in the rules indicating this is the case. When you draw an enemy with Spawn instructions, you add it to an appropriate location, ready and unengaged. When a ready, unengaged enemy shares a location with multiple investigators, you get to choose who it engages (respecting Prey rules, if applicable).

"If the card is an enemy, spawn it following any spawn instruction the card bears. (A spawn instruction is any text bearing a “spawn” precursor.) If the encountered enemy has no spawn instruction, the enemy spawns engaged with the investigator encountering the card and is placed in that investigator’s threat area."
Rules Reference, page 24
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Twitch_City wrote:
Enemy—When an enemy card is drawn, that enemy spawns
engaged with the investigator who drew the card, unless it has
a “Spawn –” instruction. If the enemy has a spawn instruction

EDIT: The following doesn't apply here! But it might in certain circumstances, so I'll leave it below.

So long as the enemy has no prey requirements, the official rule is actually that the lead investigator chooses who the monster engages.

In the Learn to Play guide:

"If multiple investigators are at the same location as a ready enemy, the lead investigator chooses which of those investigators the enemy engages" (p. 13)

I THOUGHT I'd seen that, but couldn't find it in the RR! It's sneakily hiding in the L2P! (And it is relevant; part of my question related to enemies readying at a location with multiple valid targets).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.