Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: what's your campaign crew? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DicE GameGeek
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
So we've (re-)started our campaign 2x now. Everytime because we're not happy with our selection of active/passive main characters and crew deck.

So what's your favorite setup and why? What combo's do you want to try and use?

Our next attempt at the first 3 episodes we'll try this:

Main characters:
active (3 player game) : Kaylee - Wash - Simon
passive main characters: Inara - Jayne
crew deck : Zoe - Book - Mal - River

Curious what you have.

DicE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use Jayne and River.

They are the only ones that allow for deck reduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DicE GameGeek
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
you mean they both go in your crew deck then? as their talent is not related to deck reduction.

as you have to device 5 main characters / 4 crew deck characters can you be more specific?

Rygel wrote:
We use Jayne and River.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Freer
United Kingdom
Connecticut
flag msg tools
After a few disaterous games we concluded that Simon should be played by a player or not in the game, otherwise you just don't get enough heal, especially for a campaign. That said you could possibly get away with having Inara as a supporting character instead as she has some heal too.
Mal's cards seem really strong to us, so we tend to play without him. We had some pretty bad games with Book's cards, so we tend to use him as a main character but not a player character. There are some really good combos.
Between Kaylee and Wash and Jayne and River particularly.
Zoe is a bit lukewarm to play with, but her cards can work quite well. Inara is a bit trickier, her talent is really nice early-> midgame on if there are lots of players, but she definitely tails off later on or with less players. In 4 or 5 player for instance Inara is really good as the baracks gets cycled quickly and the really expensive cards come out.
River and Jayne both have flaws which can be really bad in games with more players.

So a lineup I like is:
Main Characters: Simon, Janyne, Inara, Wash, Book (players using leftmost available characters).

Supporting: Mal, Kaylee, River, Zoe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our campaign runs:

Main: Inara, Simon
NPC: Book, Zoe, Wash
Deck: Mal, River, Jayne, Kaylee (Built to have as many power cards in the deck as possible)
House Rule: One round of setup

Our strategy is Inara burning through talents to buy strong cards early game. Inara also buys all "Captain Reynolds" and "Timely Interruption" to protect Simon and fill his deck with Talents so he can cover any and all healing.

Thanks to "Machines Talk To Me", ship strikes can be easily repaired. "Vera", "My Kind Of Party", "Public Relations" and "No Power in the Verse.." can take care of almost every combat easily.

We're up to Episode 6,7,8 by now, and are playing everything except 1 and 2 blind. We've encountered no major bumps, yet.

Rygel wrote:
We use Jayne and River.

You can't use their deck reduction at the same time. River's "Look Good In Red" depends on Jayne being a main character. If you have Jayne as a main, you can't run his reduction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Fletcher
msg tools
Running our first campaign with my daughter now. I'm Mal. She's Kaylee. Book, Zoe and Jayne are the other mains. Really, we just started the first game with the suggested characters, and she wanted to keep going.

We finished up to episode 8 today, our Hero Deck is empty and it seems to be a little bit too easy at this stage. We had a scare at the end of episode 5 where Crew Strikes nearly wiped us out, but we're sitting pretty now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fletch_smf wrote:
our Hero Deck is empty and it seems to be a little bit too easy at this stage.

what do you mean by your Hero Deck being empty?
Aren't you suppose to reset each player deck to the default (7 Shiny, 5 Misbehave, 1 Talent) after each "game" (i.e. the set of three episodes)?

The Ship Upgrades, Ship Strikes, and Crew Strikes carry over, but you don't keep building up the player decks I didn't think, since that would make the subsequent games too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:

The Ship Upgrades, Ship Strikes, and Crew Strikes carry over, but you don't keep building up the player decks I didn't think, since that would make the subsequent games too easy.

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.