Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Gravelyn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone! I had an idea to run a one-shot of Dungeon World at BGGCon and then thought, "why not go bigger?" So I decided to try and get a group together who would like to play Dungeon World throughout the convention. I was thinking of doing 4 days, one 2-hour session each day, that takes players from character creation through the end of a mini campaign. All I need now are some interested players!

If this sounds like something you're interested in, please let me know! I'm planning to GM the game, so I'd like to get 4-5 players to round out the group. Once we have a group, we can settle on definite times for the sessions.

Thanks and see you at the con!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmb
I would have loved too, but too late of notice for me. All booked up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gravelyn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:

Totally fair! This is my first BGGCon, so I'm not sure how the con is, whether there are events or stuff. Hoping to just find a few people who are looking for a laid-back experience. Thanks for your interest though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be interested. For those of us who are unfamiliar, can you tell us a little about Dungeon World?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werewolf Kai Jason
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrmatthew wrote:
cscottk wrote:

Totally fair! This is my first BGGCon, so I'm not sure how the con is, whether there are events or stuff. Hoping to just find a few people who are looking for a laid-back experience. Thanks for your interest though!

Here's a geeklist for player-built events. Might try there. I'm sorta interested too, but don't know anything about the system or world

BGG CON 2016 - "EPIC" Games Meetup List

I currently play 13th Age in Midgard setting and really like the 'making stuff up' and trying to storylink your backgrounds into a usable skillcheck. Works great for building your backstory as you go along kinda thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gravelyn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grysqrl wrote:
I might be interested. For those of us who are unfamiliar, can you tell us a little about Dungeon World?

Sure! Dungeon World is built on the Apocalypse World engine if you're familiar with that. It focuses on cooperative narrative storytelling and tries to simplify a lot of the "math" behind many RPG systems. In this system, you simply tell the GM what you are doing, and then together you decide what "Move" your character will take. There are still dice rolls, but they are not binary do/fail; you can excel, accomplish with setbacks, or fail spectacularly. Everything works towards pushing the fiction forward.

If you'd like an example of play, my favorite go-to is a podcast called Friends at the Table. If you go back to the very first episodes, Episode 00 is about character creation and world building, and Episode 01 is their first session, so you can get an idea how the game actually plays.

Out of the few RPGs I've played, I think Dungeon World is the easiest to get into from a rules perspective. It is a lot more focused on narrative and role-playing, which some players aren't as comfortable with, but I think BGGCon is a great place to meet new friends and play a cooperative game like this.

Let me know if you're still interested and we can get in touch to start planning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of the PbtA games. I will be at the Con and am interested. I'll subscribe to this and see what develops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the description. I don't have time to listen to four hours of podcasts right this second, but I'm definitely interested. My role-playing experience is pretty sparse, but this seems like a good way to dive in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gravelyn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grysqrl wrote:
Thanks for the description. I don't have time to listen to four hours of podcasts right this second, but I'm definitely interested. My role-playing experience is pretty sparse, but this seems like a good way to dive in.

No worries if you don't want to listen to the podcasts. I agree that this would be a really great way to dive into role playing if you've never played a pen-and-paper RPG before, or get into a more role-playing-focused game if you are familiar with games like D&D, etc.

As Kevin suggested, subscribe to the thread if you haven't already, and we can use this as an initial communication hub. If we can all find time that works to get together, great! If not, it could still be fun to meet-up for a literal one-shot and just play for a few hours.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Serpa
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in on the Dungeon World Campaign at the Con. I'm ready to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gravelyn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like we may have a full group! If you all want to send me a direct message with your email addresses, we can get into a group conversation that way. Or, if you have another suggestion for communicating as a group, please let me know. Thanks!

"The Group":
- Manuel (mrfurious)
- Brian (grysqrl)
- Kevin (Dr Mage)
- Kai (Kaiwolf)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Serpa
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you’re so inclined there’s a Slack BGGCon team.

http://bggslack.brubakken.net/

We should be able to set up a private group using the Slack app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werewolf Kai Jason
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrfurious wrote:
If you’re so inclined there’s a Slack BGGCon team.

http://bggslack.brubakken.net/

We should be able to set up a private group using the Slack app.

Indeed, I'm already on it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gravelyn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just added a Slack channel for us, but it looks like grysqrl has joined yet. Once he's in, we can move over to Slack entirely. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just registered. Bear with me as I've never used Slack before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gravelyn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grysqrl wrote:
I just registered. Bear with me as I've never used Slack before.

No worries, my first time on Slack as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.