$30.00
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wondering a lot about what practical things we can do to prepare for the terrible things that may be coming in the future.

(I know, a bunch of you are going to say that this stuff will never happen - but isn't it better to be prepared?)

One of the dangers is that people will be either attacked by hate groups, or unreasonably targeted by police.

I have no idea if this is feasible, but it seems like one thing we can do is to try to create community communication and safety nets; setting up contact info and "phone chains" of people willing to stand up for their neighbors, so that a group of close-by people who can come to protect (or at the very least be witnesses) can be within reach of a single call or text. The targeted family makes a call to one person, who then starts calling everyone else, getting as many people as possible to physically get there and support them, record any wrongdoings, or whatever is needed. There's strength in unity. You can haul away one "undesirable" without raising too much notice, but if their whole neighborhood is standing at their side, it might be a lot harder.

Does this sound like a good idea? Is this feasible? Are there ways to do it without exposing the members to too much harm from having their contact info be known?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I had no idea that the fearmongering had its hooks in this deep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started a monthly donation to the ACLU. I'll probably be doing one for the Southern Poverty Law Center as well considering that Trump has just named the biggest vote suppressor in modern American history to his transition team.

Anyone hoping by the way that Trump is going to be more like a centerist - maybe on some issues, not on suppressing the black and poor vote however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GameCrossing wrote:
With BOTH 'concerned' from it A-L-L-! What were YOU expecting then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just like to tell the world here and now... I am a racist. Them darkies, brownies, yellowies (that word doesn't feel right, but I'm assuming that's how I'm supposed to say it)... hate 'em all. I really wanted to say it before but I was too ashamed. But now that Trump is president, you can all get off my lawn, and my lawn stretches from sea to shining sea!!!

Did I do it right? I mean, I don't know how a closet-but-now-emboldened-to-form-street-gangs racist is supposed to sound. But I figure I got close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
I would just like to tell the world here and now... I am a racist. Them darkies, brownies, yellowies (that word doesn't feel right, but I'm assuming that's how I'm supposed to say it)... hate 'em all. I really wanted to say it before but I was too ashamed. But now that Trump is president, you can all get off my lawn, and my lawn stretches from sea to shining sea!!!

Did I do it right? I mean, I don't know how a closet-but-now-emboldened-to-form-street-gangs racist is supposed to sound. But I figure I got close.

Be prepared to be Shreved in 3...2...1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

Does telling our neighbors "we'll stand by you if there's trouble" and setting up contact info seem all that extreme to you?

Several people I know have already been threatened in the streets. Others have had threats spray-painted on their homes or cars. There are active neo-nazi groups in the US, and the KKK still exists as an organization. It's crazy to think they might try to harm or threaten people? There's no precedent at all for that?

Part of the Trump platform is to round up illegal immigrants. Without knowing what the process will be, it seems very likely that anyone could be "reported" as an illegal if they "look wrong", and have the authorities show up to demand that they provide proof. That is a terrifying thought, and there's enormous potential for abuse and wrongdoing.

Maybe nothing will happen. But "let's round up these undesirables", throughout history, has uniformly been horrific. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

I get that you're offended that people are assuming that racist policies will be put in place because Trump is president, and I guess you feel like you're being accused of racism because you are a trump supporter? Honestly I don't even know I don't really pay all that much attention to you so I have no idea who you voted for, but there's a reason to be concerned.

There's everything Trump has said so far about border walls and about people of mexican ancestry being automatically racist against him, and there's also that he's surrounding himself with people who have a really bad track record on race.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/kris-kobach-architect-of-...

So I get that you aren't racist - as far as I know, I mean I don't know you, but mocking people who are concerned because we have an openly racist president surrounding himself with other open racists is still kind of crummy in my opinion.

Nobody's making this up. I didn't donate to the ACLU when Bush took office because Bush wasn't nearly as racist as Trump has already presented himself to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GameCrossing wrote:

surprise Was that YOU going around there with 'notice of whinge/binge' UPON "supposed christian" NON-whites, since somebody ONCE "says" about that and you'd 'misunderstood' their entire "gist", yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
So I get that you aren't racist - as far as I know, I mean I don't know you, but mocking people who are concerned because we have an openly racist president surrounding himself with other open racists is still kind of crummy in my opinion.

We've had an openly racist president who surrounded himself with other open racists for the last almost 8 years now.

I guess if you were scared of Obama's racist policies stripping you of your right to vote (or that of other whites) you should have donated to the ACLU too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Does telling our neighbors "we'll stand by you if there's trouble" and setting up contact info seem all that extreme to you?

That's what we non-liberals call neighbors, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

I get that you're offended that people are assuming that racist policies will be put in place because Trump is president, and I guess you feel like you're being accused of racism because you are a trump supporter? Honestly I don't even know I don't really pay all that much attention to you so I have no idea who you voted for, but there's a reason to be concerned.

There's everything Trump has said so far about border walls and about people of mexican ancestry being automatically racist against him, and there's also that he's surrounding himself with people who have a really bad track record on race.

Nobody's making this up. I didn't donate to the ACLU when Bush took office because Bush wasn't nearly as racist as Trump has already presented himself to be.

My entire point in this is that we have had at least a decade of people who say that the only thing the GOP has had to offer is fearmongering. People openly laughed when gun sales spiked after each of Obama's victories. But now we see what happened when the Dems ran a campaign entirely on fearmongering, when the most prominent message of Hillary was "That guy is evil." Those listening to her believed her. Now women are rushing to get birth control that will last at least four years to outlast Trump. People are posting suicide hotline numbers on their feeds because they know people are fearful for their lives. The hysteria over this is based largely on the fearmongering that we had been fed for a year.

Is there stuff to be concerned about with Trump? Absolutely. But I don't see how buying into the hysteria is going to work any better for the left than it did for the right. Fight it when it comes up. But acting like there are guys who have just been waiting to crawl out of their basements lookin' for someone to oppress and this is now their chance....

Look. I have no doubt that there is a momentary spike of ugly people being extra ugly here in this wave of euphoria of "their guy" getting elected. But soon paying bills will take over and things will settle into their normal level of "some people are good, some aren't so good, and most are a weird blend of both." I applaud the calls for individuals to be more aware and to call it out and decry it when they see it. But there is just a CRAZY amount of hysteria right now. And it looks a lot like the hysteria that got laughed at eight years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
I just started a monthly donation to the ACLU. I'll probably be doing one for the Southern Poverty Law Center as well considering that Trump has just named the biggest vote suppressor in modern American history to his transition team.

Anyone hoping by the way that Trump is going to be more like a centerist - maybe on some issues, not on suppressing the black and poor vote however.

Why would you donate to two near-terrorist groups like them? The ACLU doesn't even recognize the entire Constitution.

Ick.

I've added a monthly contribution to the Gun Owners of America to counter.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

We've had an openly racist president who surrounded himself with other open racists for the last almost 8 years now.

I guess if you were scared of Obama's racist policies stripping you of your right to vote (or that of other whites) you should have donated to the ACLU too.

The ACLU supported Obama's racist policies, so that would have been a waste.

I gave to the ACLJ instead.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But now we see what happened when the Dems ran a campaign entirely on fearmongering, when the most prominent message of Hillary was "That guy is evil."

I don't know what Hillary's campaign was. I read her posted platform. I checked on a lot of the "scandals". I paid attention to Trump and was horrified by literally everything I saw about him.

I am not scared about what the Democratic party or the media is saying; I am scared based on what Trump is saying, on what his supporters are saying, and what his policies say.

His literal policy is to round up millions of people and throw them out of the country.

He has literally received the support of neo-nazi groups and the KKK.

He has not quite literally, but very close to it, used nazi-propaganda in his campaign.

People I know have literally had people tell them, in person "now that Trump is in power, we're going to get rid of you".

Quote:
People openly laughed when gun sales spiked after each of Obama's victories.

Of course people laughed. There was nothing in Obama's platform saying that he was to round up large groups of people. He never instructed his followers to beat up protestors. He never called on his followers to assassinate his rivals. He never declared that his foreign policy would be to murder innocent people. FEMA death camps and NWO conspiracies were springing entirely out of the heads of his detractors, and from Fox News.

Here, they are springing directly out of Trump's mouth and his campaign platform.

If Trump tries to do what he literally said he was going to do, terrible things will happen.
If Trump supporters and people emboldened by Trump do what they literally have said they are going to do, terrible things will happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

The ACLU supported Obama's racist policies, so that would have been a waste.

I gave to the ACLJ instead.

Ferret

The group that supported bills in Africa that call for homosexuals to be executed?

http://www.hrc.org/resources/10-things-you-should-know-about...

That would not have been my choice. Obviously we're pretty different people.

I would love to see some examples of how the ACLU is a "terrorist organization" but I think I already found your source:

http://mediamatters.org/research/2005/03/03/oreilly-on-aclu-...

Please let me know if you have a source for your beliefs other than "Bill O'Riley feels scared of the ACLU so I feel scared too!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But I don't see how buying into the hysteria is going to work any better for the left than it did for the right.

I'd also like to point out that for what I am suggesting, if you are right and nothing at all happens, all that we've done is get to know our neighbors better and maybe given them some strength and confidence to help them get through was going to be a very scary time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

My entire point in this is that we have had at least a decade of people who say that the only thing the GOP has had to offer is fearmongering. People openly laughed when gun sales spiked after each of Obama's victories. But now we see what happened when the Dems ran a campaign entirely on fearmongering, when the most prominent message of Hillary was "That guy is evil." Those listening to her believed her. Now women are rushing to get birth control that will last at least four years to outlast Trump. People are posting suicide hotline numbers on their feeds because they know people are fearful for their lives. The hysteria over this is based largely on the fearmongering that we had been fed for a year.

Is there stuff to be concerned about with Trump? Absolutely. But I don't see how buying into the hysteria is going to work any better for the left than it did for the right. Fight it when it comes up. But acting like there are guys who have just been waiting to crawl out of their basements lookin' for someone to oppress and this is now their chance....

Look. I have no doubt that there is a momentary spike of ugly people being extra ugly here in this wave of euphoria of "their guy" getting elected. But soon paying bills will take over and things will settle into their normal level of "some people are good, some aren't so good, and most are a weird blend of both." I applaud the calls for individuals to be more aware and to call it out and decry it when they see it. But there is just a CRAZY amount of hysteria right now. And it looks a lot like the hysteria that got laughed at eight years ago.

I don't think Trump is evil because Hillary said he's evil. I honestly don't care for Hillary and really didn't listen to her speak much at all, I do not find her very interesting or inspiring.

I'm not that concerned about grassroots "covert racists" attacking people...yet, I mean it's not happening that much more than it usually does yet, but I am really concerned about Trump being an actual racist and putting actually racist policies into place.

This is the guy who said "beat him up, I'll pay your legal bills" about a protester. People have reason to be concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

What makes you think I didn't/don't?

Do you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:
But I don't see how buying into the hysteria is going to work any better for the left than it did for the right.

I'd also like to point out that for what I am suggesting, if you are right and nothing at all happens, all that we've done is get to know our neighbors better and maybe given them some strength and confidence to help them get through was going to be a very scary time.

I would say it seems like a practical and grass-roots solution to something I really think will never come to a head. Kudos for being pro-active in solving a problem you see on the horizon. I just think it's the fallout of fearmongering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Maybe now you understand how ridiculous liberals thought people rushing out to buy guns was now?

I applaud people looking to solve their problems on a local level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

I don't think Trump is evil because Hillary said he's evil. I honestly don't care for Hillary and really didn't listen to her speak much at all, I do not find her very interesting or inspiring.

I'm not that concerned about grassroots "covert racists" attacking people...yet, I mean it's not happening that much more than it usually does yet, but I am really concerned about Trump being an actual racist and putting actually racist policies into place.

This is the guy who said "beat him up, I'll pay your legal bills" about a protester. People have reason to be concerned.

And I'm not concerned about it. Because that's why we have the legislative and judicial branches.

The worst I could see is that the social changes we've experienced the last decade slow down greatly. Slow down, but not stop. And surely as hell won't reverse. Society doesn't work that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
The SPLC has beclowned itself recently by declaring actual Muslims to be anti-Muslim extremists.

I don't know why anyone would donate to that ridiculous organization. Your money would be better spent on games.

You are aware that people can be, for example, American but also radical anti-American terrorists, right? The specific case in point appears to be about a guy who presents himself as a former radical muslim who is now working to combat radical muslims but in the opinion of the SPLC, is actually just trying to make money by demonizing all muslims. I really don't know the truth or falsity of these claims, I'd have to look into it further.

I'm not too familiar with the details of their recent listing on anti-Muslim folks. I haven't made up my mind as to if I'm going to give them anything or not yet, I'll probably do some additional research first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Seems like not a bad plan.

Once I had time to get through some of the anger and sadness of this election result, I went looking for something practical to do. It's a very small thing, but this website identifies organizations providing pro bono legal services related to immigration status.

https://www.justice.gov/eoir/list-pro-bono-legal-service-pro...

Consider finding organization like these or others that provide basic services to those who will be most impacted by Trump's policies and set up a recurring donation. I'll admit it's not much, but it felt better than complaining about the election on FB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
GameCrossing wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

And I'm not concerned about it. Because that's why we have the legislative and judicial branches.

The worst I could see is that the social changes we've experienced the last decade slow down greatly. Slow down, but not stop. And surely as hell won't reverse. Society doesn't work that way.

Mass deportations can easily happen without those other branches getting involved. Several other policies can be put in place via executive order (and we'll see the Democrats cringe at it at that). I don't get your optimism. I do think the very worst legislation probably won't pass due to his own party, but there's quite a bit that will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.