$30.00
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried. I really did. Over and over, I try to get a houses strategy to work.

I've given it some thought, wondering if it might work better in multiplayer, but I keep coming away from the game thinking that it's not just a solo-game thing - it's just not a viable strategy.

I admit, now that I've tried it three times, I think I've figured out the key, and could have played better today, but I still think I would have topped out at 110ish.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
To make it work, I think you need a few things to go your way:

1. You need an Occupation that easily gives you either an Orange or Red tile boost. This gives you the items you need to keep filling houses.

2. And/or you need an Occupation that will give you building resources more easily. This gets you the houses more cheaply and lets you save some resources for covering the -1's on the stone house and shed.

3. I'm not as certain about this point, but I think it is correct: You have to forgo income on the main board. It simply takes too much energy and time to fill all those spaces with larger tiles. I think you need to open with something small in the corner to get 2 income a turn, maybe surround mead for the free red, and then ignore main board until you fill the -1's at the end of the game.

I blew it on step 3. Taking the time to build up the main board (ending with 15 income) didn't allow me to get the snowball effect from longhouses.

Thoughts from anyone who has tried this strategy a few times?

Anyways, my strategy was fairly straightforward, and a nice twist one what I usually do: Master Builder (Pay 1 less stone when building houses) in order to get cheaper houses earlier. Flax Farmer (Get bonus flax every round in which you have 7+ Vikings in the second column) to get support flax for the houses. Flax Farmer seemed like a decent idea because I could fail either Hunting 2 or Trapping, grab a stone house for free, build a chest with my Hunt/Trap fail-wood, get a sheep, make clothing for main board coverage - all in the same column.

My mistake was probably making clothing early and trying to cover my main board. I would have done better to save clothing for later and use the furs and linen to cover houses quicker for bonuses.

Or something.

Still a fun game, but I am scratching my head as to whether or not you can really do well with houses in solo play. In multiplayer, I think you wouldn't be able to get all the houses you need to score well (i.e. other players would grab a longhouse or two).

Key Occupations: Master Builder, Flax Farmer.

SCORING
00.Ships
18.Emigration - knarr from build
00.Exploration boards
64.Sheds and houses
00.Sheep and cattle
06.Occupations
03.Silver
15.Income
---------------
106 Subtotal
-06 Home board
-13 Sheds and houses
---------------
87 FINAL SCORE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really think it takes the right cards. I think I could get 120 with some experimentation, and Andrew had two different housing strategies get 140+, with no exploration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
I really think it takes the right cards. I think I could get 120 with some experimentation, and Andrew had two different housing strategies get 140+, with no exploration.

I saw those scores after I posted this, so anyone reading this: IT IS POSSIBLE! Just don't follow my strategy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.