United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Played the nuclear scenario last night with 3 veterans and 1 newbie.

We got stuck trying to figure out where the suitcase was hidden and were playing around with the shoelace and the map. We saw what appeared to be a shape similar to one of the shapes on the keys. But that didn't seem right to me.

New guys says "Hey! Look at this, there are 4 keys with that shape on them, let's try them!" I was like um no. That's not really how these games work. He insisted. And I thought sure go ahead and be wrong it will only cost us a minute.

Much to my dismay it worked. Even though I knew it couldn't possibly be right. So onward we went with opening part 2.

Once we completed the scenario we played around w the decoder and sure enough every time you put in those 4 keys we got a positive sound.

What gives? Did we just randomly stumble on a valid code?

I read the hints and am still not 100% certain how we were supposed to solve that puzzle. Can someone explain it to me in laymans terms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I you use the string to follow the most probable path of his walk, it resembles the shape of one of the bridges. The coordinates for that bridge are the answer.

As for the problem of always having another answer give a positive sound - is that just for the first step of an adventure? It very well be the answer to the first step in one of the other adventures or even an upcoming expansion?

I'm not sure how the decoder is working, and I didn't run tests on it, but since we're not telling it what mission we're doing, all of the first steps should show as valid when you start. If the rest of the steps aren't always valid, they should become valid after we tell it which mission we're doing with step one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
As for the problem of always having another answer give a positive sound - is that just for the first step of an adventure? It very well be the answer to the first step in one of the other adventures or even an upcoming expansion?

I'm not sure how the decoder is working, and I didn't run tests on it, but since we're not telling it what mission we're doing, all of the first steps should show as valid when you start. If the rest of the steps aren't always valid, they should become valid after we tell it which mission we're doing with step one.

Not sure. It was the first step of the adventure so guessing we just lucked into a random working code. Almost a shame you don't have to tell it what scenario you are doing to avoid this, but I realize it would complicate things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't give the decoder more credit than it is due. It doesn't know which mission you are on. From the factory it comes programed with a set of codes that are "phase winners" and a set of codes that are "game winners". With 16 keys, there are thousands of potential combinations. Even if the decoder only holds 100 "winner" combos, that is more than enough to support the game and dozens of future expansions. Yes, it is possible that your friend input the correct code through sheer dumb luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.