Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two questions about this:
1) Do you get to see what the scoring conditions are before choosing which side of your Quarters to use? (For example, if Scarcity is up, you might not want to start with a rocket or crystal)

2) Is there any harm in letting players pick their starting condition regardless of color, and even allowing 2 different players to choose the same one?
There are a lot of players who are in love with playing a certain color, but might want to try out different starting resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Two questions about this:
1) Do you get to see what the scoring conditions are before choosing which side of your Quarters to use? (For example, if Scarcity is up, you might not want to start with a rocket or crystal)

I've personally enjoyed choosing the player colors after the rest of the board is setup (expansion, Initial tiles, scoring schemes). That way you get the most information before choosing.
With that though, there might be more competition for particular colors. So in that case, I think I'm going to write up an "unofficial-official" color-drafting method:

Normally the player order is determined by by taking all chosen color pawns and shuffling them down into the tile queue. Instead, players can agree to "draft" the colors: first the player draft order is chosen randomly (die-roll, etc). Then in draft order, each player picks their color and places their claim pawn in the queue next in order behind the starting line. This way, the player who gets first choice of player color would go last in turn order.

I've done this a few times when playing with expansion Award tiles and, say the all-four-resource-types award is up, multiple players want to play Yellow (who can start with two resources instead of any coins). Then the player who DIDN'T get Yellow could jump ahead and steal the Robotic Smuggler Initial Tile (which gives two resources), preventing the turn-1 Award-win.

In fact, I'm going to add this "color draft rule" to the FAQ right now.

jozxyqk wrote:
2) Is there any harm in letting players pick their starting condition regardless of color, and even allowing 2 different players to choose the same one?
There are a lot of players who are in love with playing a certain color, but might want to try out different starting resources.

I'd say if you're ok with that, you can make that ok. It does make what happened in my story above a bit more complicated, but if you're fine with that, then sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The drafting idea's not bad...

I guess the reason question 2 came to mind was because, after setup, everyone's equal.
So, essentially, these variable starting resources are just like each player buying a "turn 0 tile".*

If, on the other hand, player-color were linked to unique special abilities that can be used through the whole game (i.e. Pandemic), that would be very different. But I guess we'll have to wait for an expansion or user-created variant for that one

* Actually, that gives me an idea for a starting variant slightly different from the draft (I might post this to the Variants forum after refining it).
Why not streamline the idea by using the Rondel itself to choose starting color?

Starting Variant wrote:
Shuffle the Starting Quarters and place them in the first 5 slots of the board before placing Initial tiles.
Players start as "colorless" astronauts and starting order is determined randomly.
Each player's first choice of tile must be a Starting Quarters. A player may not choose multiple Starting Quarters. And yes, Spot can potentially remove one of those from the available options.

Something like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
The drafting idea's not bad...

I guess the reason question 2 came to mind was because, after setup, everyone's equal.
So, essentially, these variable starting resources are just like each player buying a "turn 0 tile".*

If, on the other hand, player-color were linked to unique special abilities that can be used through the whole game (i.e. Pandemic), that would be very different. But I guess we'll have to wait for an expansion or user-created variant for that one

* Actually, that gives me an idea for a starting variant slightly different from the draft (I might post this to the Variants forum after refining it).
Why not streamline the idea by using the Rondel itself to choose starting color?

Starting Variant wrote:
Shuffle the Starting Quarters and place them in the first 5 slots of the board before placing Initial tiles.
Players start as "colorless" astronauts and starting order is determined randomly.
Each player's first choice of tile must be a Starting Quarters. A player may not choose multiple Starting Quarters. And yes, Spot can potentially remove one of those from the available options.

Something like this?

Interesting! I'd be down with trying that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
One other question to piggyback on this thread, which I noticed while I may or may not have been trying to come up with a Variant for full variable player powers:

Was it deliberate that the Purple, Yellow, and Green Quarters, on their reverse side, lost their "semicircle" status?
The Orange one is still a semicircle, and the Gray one, of course, has all 3 subtype-symbols.
Was this a game balance thing with the starting resources?

Just wondering...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
One other question to piggyback on this thread, which I noticed while I may or may not have been trying to come up with a Variant for full variable player powers:

Was it deliberate that the Purple, Yellow, and Green Quarters, on their reverse side, lost their "semicircle" status?
The Orange one is still a semicircle, and the Gray one, of course, has all 3 subtype-symbols.
Was this a game balance thing with the starting resources?

Just wondering...

Correct, a deliberate game-balance thing. Extra rocket/crystal is pretty powerful AND still gets a starting point, the Orange was for awhile strictly worse than just having a starting rocket. So it got to keep the dome to help level the playing field.
Good eyes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.