GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,047 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: What you Do Not need from your duplicate copies (includes sleeving info) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered multiple copies and I had my own little dilemma of determining exactly what to sleeve and what not to based on what was an unnecessary duplicate. Especially since I intend to play up to 4 players. I did some digging around and included a list here of what I uncovered so we have a reference. If anyone has differing information, please let me know so I can update this list.

You do not need to use the following content from your extra sets:
- The 110 Scenario cards (shown on page 3 of the Learn to Play guide)
- The 5 Investigator cards
- The 5 Mini Investigator cards
- The 10 Investigator-specific cards *(see below for list)
- The 10 Basic Weaknesses
- The Lita Chantler card
- 44 Chaos Tokens

Sleeve Count:
- For the first set: 234 Standard Sized Sleeves, 5 Mini Sleeves
- For each additional set: 98 Standard Sized Sleeves

Sleeving Tip:
You can choose to sleeve and use the not-needed cards mentioned above to pre-build multiple scenarios and create extra character decks for faster setup and gaming flexibility. To pre-build all the scenarios in the box you will need 2 core sets. But be aware that all the future Adventure Packs and Deluxe Expansions can and will use some of the Base Encounter decks (thus requiring you to disassemble some of these pre-built scenario decks).

You may also want to sleeve duplicate copies of certain scenario cards (like Lita Chantler) if you are playing two games at once (for example I have decks set up for a solo game and a two-player game running concurrently).

Content Fit in Box:
I tried KMC Perfect Fit Sleeves at first but felt that they were not a good option for me. They are too loose in the width (the cards can fall out) and the length is right up to the edge of the card (allowing possible top damage). Instead I used Fantasy Flight Silver sleeves for the standard sized cards and the Fantasy Flight Yellow sleeves for the mini cards. When talking about fitting, please note that I am using those as a frame of reference.

Once sleeved, the cards for one box set would no longer fit in the components section of the included box insert. I was able to fit two copies of the game in 1 box by removing the insert. I did not include the extra cards and bits listed above. Fitting any additional content, other than a few Mythos packs, may require a custom insert.

I tried the Broken Token Compact Card Game Organizer for my box. I have two core sets (excluding the unnecessary duplicate items listed above) and the Rougaroux expansion sleeved and in the insert. Using Fantasy Flight sleeves, I don't think I will get much more in there. The token box that sits in the center has 6 slots and fits the extra chaos tokens, physical damage tokens, mental damage tokens, clue/doom tokens, resource tokens, and the 5 investigator minis you can get. Also a thin cloth token bag can still fit in the box flat on the top (with the rulebooks). Simply gather all of the current tokens into the bottom of the bag and rest that part in one of the first card slots.

* Investigator-specific cards:
- Roland's .38 Special
- Cover Up
- Daisy's Tote Bag
- The Necronomicon
- On The Lam
- Hospital Debts
- Heirloom of Hyperborea
- Dark Memory
- Wendy's Amulet
- Abandoned and Alone

Sources: Game rulebooks, suggestions in this thread, and Investigator specific cards, can you have more then 1 in your deck? - May need an official FFG ruling on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You will not use the following content from your extra sets:
- The 110 Scenario cards

I will use mine. Extra copies of these means that I can keep more than one scenario pre-built and ready to run instead of having to stop and assemble the encounter deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryalyn, thanks for the totals breakdown.

dboeren wrote:
Quote:
- The 110 Scenario cards

I will use mine. Extra copies of these means that I can keep more than one scenario pre-built and ready to run instead of having to stop and assemble the encounter deck.

Great point, David!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Quote:
- The 110 Scenario cards

Thanks for pointing that out. A lot of people (myself included) had been asking for a specific count, bare minimum, of what they needed to sleeve so that's what I was going for here. As with any list like this, it is subject to adjustment based on personal preferences.

One other thing to note: players CANNOT use duplicates of these in their decks as it is against the deck-building rules to do so:
- The 10 Investigator-specific cards
- The Lita Chantler card
However, if you want to keep multiple character decks for your characters, you could still sleeve them and use them as well.

( edits -- so many typoes >.< )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shakka
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You dont need a second set of basic weaknesses, do you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Ryalyn, thanks for the totals breakdown.

dboeren wrote:
Quote:
- The 110 Scenario cards

Great point, David!

Thanks! Also, I adjusted my wording to make it sound more optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shakalaka wrote:
You dont need a second set of basic weaknesses, do you?

Not positive. I assumed, when playing with 3-4 people, that we would need those to have enough cards to build all the decks. Since I have not had a 4-player game yet, I am not sure. I can check the details on deck-building and the deck lists to see what it says on the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shakka
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Learn to play, page 14 under Random Weakness.

For example: Stephanie owns two copies of the core set ... To create a single set of basic weaknesses, she takes all of the basic weaknesses in one core set ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shakalaka wrote:
Learn to play, page 14 under Random Weakness.

For example: Stephanie ows two copies of the core set ... To create a single set of basic weaknesses, she takes all of the basic weaknesses in one core set ...

Thank you! I have updated the OP.

Woohoo, I get 10 more sleeves back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
dboeren wrote:
Quote:
- The 110 Scenario cards

what a nice idea! +1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the KMC Perfect fit sleeves and they are great. I have four player decks built and have played many games with them. I have replaced the perfect fit sleeves with KMC Matte sleeves (clear) because these cards are going to get a lot of use this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Quote:
- The 110 Scenario cards

Not only some. I read that you could keep the entire core campaign built with two core sets. Which is what I am planning on doing if that's the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Winchester
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ryalyn wrote:

Content Fit in Box:
KMC Perfect Fit Sleeves are not a good option. They are too loose in the width and the length is right up to the edge of the card. I used Fantasy Flight Silver sleeves for the standard sized cards and the Fantasy Flight Yellow sleeves for the mini cards.

I use the Perfect Fits for my LotR LCG and I think that they are great. Aren't the FF sleeves too long?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
happycatmachine wrote:
I use the KMC Perfect fit sleeves and they are great. I have four player decks built and have played many games with them. I have replaced the perfect fit sleeves with KMC Matte sleeves (clear) because these cards are going to get a lot of use this weekend.

That's the opposite to my experience. KMC Perfect Fit Sleeves (the thin, tight-fitting ones) did not fit well. They were too wide so they flexed and dropped out cards when shuffling and handling. Also they were as long as the cards which I do not like because the tops of the cards still get damaged that way.

bamjoe wrote:
Ryalyn wrote:

Content Fit in Box:
KMC Perfect Fit Sleeves are not a good option. They are too loose in the width and the length is right up to the edge of the card. I used Fantasy Flight Silver sleeves for the standard sized cards and the Fantasy Flight Yellow sleeves for the mini cards.

I use the Perfect Fits for my LotR LCG and I think that they are great. Aren't the FF sleeves too long?

They are longer but I like mine to be a little bit taller than the cards in order to protect from top damage and drink spills. In this case, the sleeves are a bit taller than I like but I would take that over too short any day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've updated the OP with the tips you all have been suggesting. Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bamjoe wrote:
Aren't the FF sleeves too long?

I've found very few sleeve companies are immune from the occasional miscut sleeve (too short is the worst, and Ultra Pro tends to have that happen a lot, besides the obnoxious sticker) so the extra room on an FFG sleeve means, even if miscut, it's still plenty long to cover the card. Can't say that about the sleeves that fit super-tight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miloshot wrote:
Not only some. I read that you could keep the entire core campaign built with two core sets. Which is what I am planning on doing if that's the case.

Yep, you can. The "encounter sets" are used only twice at most among all three scenarios, so two core sets are enough to have all three scenarios readily prepared at the same time.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, I have sleeved the following (from two sets):

5 investigator mini cards.
5 investigator cards.
5 investigator special cards.
5 investigator special weakness cards.
20 Basic Weaknesses (two sets of 10 each).

140 class player cards (28 for each class; 2 copies each).
40 neutral player cards (4 copies each).
1 Lita Chandler (kept with the neutral player cards).

110 scenario cards from the first set.
27 scenario cards from the second set, which are used twice between the scenarios.
1 Lita Chandler (kept with the first scenario).

2 player reference cards.

In total you need:

5 mini sleeves
346 standard sleeves (you only need one set of Basic Weaknesses)

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome list, thank you!

Ryalyn wrote:
You can choose to sleeve and use the not-needed cards mentioned above to pre-build multiple scenarios and create extra character decks for faster setup and gaming flexibility.

Thanee wrote:
The "encounter sets" are used only twice at most among all three scenarios, so two core sets are enough to have all three scenarios readily prepared at the same time.

I haven't bought or played the game yet, but I already know I'd like to have multiple playable player decks and scenarios ready to go. (Especially if I can do so with what would otherwise be leftover stuff.)

It's great to see that you can just keep all 3 scenarios built and ready with 2 sets.
However, I don't think I'd want to have more than 1 deck for each unique character.

With that in mind, how much of the normally unneeded duplicates would still be usable?

(Thanee, it might be that your last post is already the answer to this question. If so, my apologies, I'm just not entirely sure.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
20 basic weaknesses (two sets of 10 each).

Is there a reason you did this? I believe the rules say you pick Basic Weaknesses from one set rather than all the sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miloshot wrote:
Thanee wrote:

Is there a reason you did this? I believe the rules say you pick Basic Weaknesses from one set rather than all the sets.

Maybe to have one each for two campaigns?

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:
However, I don't think I'd want to have more than 1 deck for each unique character.

With that in mind, how much of the normally unneeded duplicates would still be usable?

If I get this right... between 0 and 12.

The only additional cards, that are there for building more than two decks from two core sets, are three neutral cards, which every core set has 4 copies of (Knife, Flashlight, Emergency Cache).

In fact, though, it will be a struggle to even have one deck per investigator (from the core set, there are plenty more coming in expansions, the next one already has five more) readily built.

With two core sets, it is possible to have four decks (but not five) ready at the same time (there are 180 total player cards with 2 copies of every class card and 4 copies of every neutral card, of which 132 are level 0, and you need 30 per deck, so you need pretty much all of them plus maybe some of the 12 "extras" mentioned above; not much left over), but these decks will be fairly weak, since you have to distribute the 2 copies of each class card between two decks.

If you want two decks with no class overlap, you have no limits with two core sets, you have all card options you want.

But when you go beyond that, you will have to remember, that the core set investigators each have two (from five total) classes (one major and one minor), so they can pick cards for their deck from two different colors. Or in other words, among all five core set investigators, every class or color is used twice.

You have no problems there, if you pick two investigators with no overlap, like Wendy (survivor and rogue) and Roland (guardian and seeker).

But if you build decks for Roland (guardian and seeker) and "Skids" (rogue and guardian), you have to distribute all the guardian cards between the two decks.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
miloshot wrote:
Thanee wrote:

Maybe to have one each for two campaigns?

Bye
Thanee

That's a lifehack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Teeka wrote:

(..snip..)

You have no problems there, if you pick two investigators with no overlap

That's good to know! Thank you very much for the very thourough explanation! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miloshot wrote:
dboeren wrote:

i just assembled all 3 scenarios from 2 core sets. The Ghoul Priest (card #116) is potentially (based on campaign progression) used in all 3, thus it seems to be impossible to 100% pre-package all 3 scenarios from 2 core sets. Close, but not quite. That's the only outlier i see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.