The Siege of Jerusalem (Third Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My Siege of Jerusalem session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, I'm playing Siege of Jerusalem, solitair unfortunatly due to lack of available opponents.. However I try to play both sides as good as possible.. Below my session report of the first assault phase. When I play the other phases, I will post them below.

The first assault period began with the Romans taking four weeks for constructing mines. Only one succeeded, collapsing two wall sections of the north wall where it adjoins the Temple quarter, also damaging the northeastern fortress of this quarter. After that, a delay of one week allowed the Romans to construct 3 more mineshafts, although this luck was offset by them not able to construct armored towers, against all odds. They were probably too busy with the mines to concern themselves with the tower.. The first shaft struck the Women’s gate, collapsing the wall section north of it and severely damaging the bastion to the north and the gate itself. The second shaft struck the northeastern fortress of the New city, damaging it and collapsing the wall sections on both sides of it. The last shaft struck, through the recently created breach, the wall of the Tyropean city, collapsing one part, damaging the gate and two sections of the Antonia Fortress, including the northeastern fort.

The 15th legion was placed opposite the Women’s gate, the 12th legion opposite the northeastern fort of the New City. The 10th and 5th legions were placed next to each other opposite the Temple Quarter. The plan was that the 12th and 15th legions would take the New City in a hurried assault, so they could swarm south towards the Tyropean city. In the meantime, the 10th and 5th legions would have reached the breaches near the ‘Alley of death’ (as the space between the AF, Temple and North wall was called in another posting here), leveling more sections and assaulting both the Temple and Antonia Fortress, in conjunction with the 12th legions which should have reached that place by that time. The New city would fall, and with a little luck either the Temple, AF of Tyropean City. The Judeans placed their units dispersed on the north wall, a light guard of militia on the wall of the TC and heavily guarding both the TQ and AF, especially near the created breaches.

The opening fire of the Judean artillery was uneventful. The Roman’s assault began promising. The 15th legion leveled the Women’s gate in the first turn, destroying the ballista on top of it. The towers assaulted the bastions on other parts around the gate. The 12th legion send a ram towards the northeastern fortress of the new city, wanting to level that structure before the cohorts would swarm through the breaches into the city. Meanwhile I tried a new approach to the Roman missile units. I used to keep them back until most of the enemy missile units would be gone from their defensive works. This time the Romans used them in a tactic I called ‘swarming’. They would move all to (preferably) a bastion, stacking 3 high to avoid eliminations, and then, in conjunction with the artillery, deliver a devastating fire attack, disrupting of eliminating the defenders. After that the cohorts would assault the same structure to drive out the survivors. The missile units took some casualties, but this saved time and cohort-casualties. The assault of the 15th legion did not get a good follow up, the cohort which tried to enter the New city were repulsed and driven back by zealots and regulars attacking out of the built up areas. The 12th legion made little progress against the fortifications on the most northern part of the new wall. Attacks against the northeastern fortress had little effect too, until a ram brought the structure and its defenders down. After that the legionnaires entered the new city and began clearing the built up areas behind the wall. The 15th legion still had trouble taking the built up areas, because most of the heavy infantry was busy attacking the bastions of the north wall. A little regrouping of these forces and a determined assault finally broke the back of the Judean defenders. Judean reserves had been popping up in the New city all this time, but with the Roman ‘killing machine’ finally getting moving, the number of defender began to fall down at an alarming rate. One Judean faction leader was killed while defending a built up area in front of the Tyropean city. Even the Roman cavalry entered the fray, making use of the open spaces of the New City. The few surviving defenders retreated to the Damascus gate and reinforced the light defenses of the Tyropean city. Other evacuated the last bastions of the north wall near the breach and made off in the direction of the northwestern fortress area of the New city, sending some units along the walls towards the Yafo gate and beyond.

Meanwhile the 10th and 5th legion had reached the top of the slope where they were confronted by a sortie of regulars and zealots against the siege engines. Those attacks had little effect, taking some units, but not damaging a single siege engine. However, the Romans had a lot of trouble of dispatching these units, which caused a long delay before the siege engine could be put to work against the fortifications on top of the slope. Soon after reaching the top one of the rams leveled the fortress of the TQ and proceeded to demolish the wall section south of it. Meanwhile the 5th legion assaulted the bastions on the north wall north of the breach, while the 10th legion assaulted the Temple outer walls, the Susa gate and north gate of the TQ. After widening the breach in the TQ, the ram entered the temple grounds, while the other focused its attention to the north gate of the TQ. The Judean continued to shower the Romans with all kinds of projectiles. Meanwhile they were preparing the last defense of the temple itself, taking regulars and zealots from the Tyropean city. After a while the bastions and forts on the eastern north wall were cleared, with the help of cohorts from the 12th legion which had arrived from the north at this time. However, it became clear that although the Judeans had taken enormous casualties, the Roman had too little time and concentrated cohorts to assault them at all places. Therefore the choice was made to leave the Tyropean city alone, to avoid more Judean reserves to come to the defenders aid. The 15th legion was too far from the fighting, so they pulled back out of the archers range of the TC and stayed there for the rest of the assault. The 12th legion send a tower and its ram to the AF, assaulting the northeastern fort on which a ballista was located. Meanwhile the towers of the 5th legion began assaulting the AF and temple north wall as well. The Susa gate was surrounded on all sides by the 10th legion, trapping 2 regulars, 1 zealot and Elizair ben Yair in it! The following turns the defenders would take steady losses from the assaults against it. The other part of the 10th legion entered the temple grounds for the first time, while the day ended and nightfall set in. Furious counterattacks from the AF and temple eliminated several cohorts and drove the infantry from the inner temple all together. The leader of the 5th legion was killed in the fighting against the Antonia Fortress. One cohort managed to take the eastern gate of the fortress, but was killed directly afterwards. As the day closed, the Romans withdrew from the inner temple grounds. In the Susa gate, only Elizair ben Yair survived, the Romans had one turn too less to eliminate him. The northeastern fortress of the AF almost collapsed, but was saved by nightfall (including its inhabitants & ballista).

The end of the assault period only yielded the New City. It had begun as a walkover for the Romans but ended in a bitter defeat with heavy losses. However, the Antonia Fortress, the eastern wall of the Tyropean city and the northeastern section of the Temple Quarter (including one of the inner walls) are heavily damaged or destroyed, which will make it hard to defend in the upcoming assault period. While the Romans didn’t achieved their objectives in the first period, they have a good starting point to possibly taking three areas in period two. The Judean defender, however, will have replaced almost all of its losses when that takes place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting read, thanks. This is a border game for me. It has some unique features and some signficant issues. Maybe one day I will pick up a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's hard to find opponents (for me at least). However, it's very suitable to solitaire play, if that's your game.

The main thing I like about the game is the 'normality' of the rules. There a lot of rules, however when you start playing it feels 'right'. There are no abnormal rules, everything is logical. So if you play you could make up the rule and when you read the booklet, you'll see that it fits with your idea.

And ofcourse I LOVE Romanscool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lipka
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice post Vlad.

Yup, the Roman loses a lot as the Phase progresses. Good job setting up Phase II.

How many VP's did the Roman lose ?

Are you going for the Temple ?

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Romans lost 270 VP, which I find quite a lot for only the New City.. At one moment it looked like I could capture the TQ in the first AP, but Alas.. I played the Judeans too good.. and the Romans just ran out of luck. A bastion with only 1 point remaing before it would collapse with a ballista on it.. One attack too few to kill Elizair Ben Yair.. Well, you can't have it all, can you? The propects for AP2 look good, though. The Judeans received almost all their troops back, so it will be a hard fight. Problem is that the area around the TQ and AF is so narrow, that I could only fit 2 legions in it. I think the next phase will see 1 legion attack the TQ, supported by another which has the AF as a primary target. If the first one needs help, the second one will give it. Next to it a 3rd legion will attack the eastern side of the tyropean, which is quite damaged and has a breach allready. This legion could also shift it's attention to either TQ or AF. The 4th legion will attack the Tyropean from the other side, hopefully reducing some forts on the western new city wall and perhaps a part of the Yafo Gate in the process.. That will stretch the Judeans somewhat, so he can't stack everything around the TQ and AF.

I'm puzzling how many weeks I should wait before the next attack. since the northeastern secion of the Temple walls is non existent anymore and one fort of the AF is about to collapse, I don't need a ramp. Also, mines are not really neccesary (at most one in the western part of town, or against the AF. What I would like is some reinforcements for the Romans.. and an armored tower wouldn't be bad too..
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lipka
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Vlad -

You are absolutely right about the narrow avenue of attack against the Temple. It becomes something of a meat grinder when you feed unit after unit into that area ... only to see them die with little result. Attacking through the eastern Wall of the TC is not easy either. Once into the Built-ups, the Roman loses his Cohort advantage and there is no Missile fire to soften up the defenders.

From the looks of it, you played the Judaeans pretty well ! Phase II will give you more opportunity to do so. How are you going to play the Redoubts on the NC Wall ? It looks as if there may be a real opportunity to take the NC back late in the game if the Roman ignores you there.

And how will you defend the Temple ? You can stack two high (plus Artillery/Cauldrons) on the outer Temple Walls. Remember that they are really Bastions and defend as such ! The Tadi Gate and the SE Antonia Fortress Fort can be a tough nut to crack if defended to the max. Judaean Artillery that can fire into the Temple Quarter will make any incursion there horribly bloody. Add to it the need to Breach the inner Temple Wall. That means several turns of ramming. Once Breached, the Ediface doubles Judaean defenders and the Roman will be halved as he attacks through the Breach ... nice place for ben Yair and two Leaders, eh ? Defense in the Temple gets -1 on the Melee Table and counterattacks get a +1 !

If you need a "neutral commentator" to place your Judaean Artillery for Phase II, I would be happy to do so. Good luck ... and play tough !

Best -

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wel, the Tadi gate is non-existent.. To be precise: one hex south of the first bastion on the new wall, on the side of the AF/TQ, there is a breach of 5 hexes wide, almost reaching the Susa gate. And there is a breach (1) in the inner wall. The Tadi gate is gone, and the hexes adjacent to it are both damaged.

The Judean had all forts (5) on the western side of the new wall. It's a pity to need a whole legion to level those. But that always happens with the New City. Luckily, other city areas have less of those places.
But with some nicely placed artillery on nearby bastions, I think I can shoot them out one at a time. Still, I do need a legion.

TQ will be tough yeah, but I think the time is right. Another option is the 'leisure' strategy. Take 2 legions against the TC, one against NC-forts and one against the AF and leave the TQ be. That way the number of defenders will be less (although slightly), and the romans can concentrate their forces better. (and they could place a ramp from the TC side of the TQ/AF).

If you would give me a artillery setup I would be very happy. The romans got a little lucky: the Judean misses the one ballista they lost and a catapult. The rest is available to them.

Do you have the picture clear where the breaches/damage is? Above I described the TQ. The AF has no breaches, but the northeastern fort is 1 point from collapsing (prior to repairs though). the hex to the west of it is a little damaged. Then the wall to the north (Tc wall) is damaged, as is the gate (not much though 4-5 dam.) Next to that is a breach in the TC wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I continued the game (preparation for the second AP). I'm now at the point that I have to set op my roman legions. However, the Judeans should occupy the five bypassed forts (western new city wall). None of those forts were damaged in AP1. Could you give me, besides the arty-setup, also the garrisons of the forts?
The Judeans have nearly all their start forces plus new reserves from the NC. No TC units so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lipka
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Vlad -

Yes, I will set the Garrison units as well.

If you would, please send me the hex coordinates of all Breaches and the exact damage to all elevated hexes. Since the Roman potential for taking the Temple is so good, the Judean really needs to coordinate his defense. angry

My map is clear at the moment as I think about my own Phase II attempt, so it is no trouble to get back to you on your set-up within a few hours. If you wish, you can e-mail me (alipka@ec.rr.com).

Would you be willing to set the Judaean units for my game ? That would be a great help !

Regarding redoubts, I went back to the Rules to check on bypassed Forts ... and noticed that they need to be "occupied" [18.34] at the end of the Assault Period (not just controlled) in order for the Judaean to man them in the following Phase. My Judaean alter ego completely forgot about this in my Session ... blush ... how about yours ?

Best -

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok,

Breaches: QQ34, QQ33, QQ32, QQ31, QQ30, OO33, NN36, LL28

Damage: LL27=3; LL30=7;LL29=4; MM31=14; NN34=3; PP33=7

I left out the breaches in the north wall, don't think you need those.
All forts on the western wall (5) are undamaged.
Alle damage above is before applying the repairs.

Ofcourse I would like to help you too. I hope I do it right, because the first turn didn't do any good.. The first ballista gone in turn 1..

No all my forts were manned at the end of phase 1. With lousy militia, but manned nonetheless.

How do you deploy your militia? I don't want to stack them with regulars (which would be could as cannon fodder), but that gives an unfavorable dieroll on missile attacks..So i usually place them 1 one in the inside of builtup hexes and they can hurry to any point were they would be needed.

Rules question: I find the rule about Judean reserves very unclear. I think I do right, but I'm not for sure. How do you apply them?

Regards
Vlad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lipka
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha ! I sent the set-up via e-mail so you can open it at your leisure. You won't need me to set up the Garrison units, as they can be set up with your Factions after the Roman set-up. No secrecy needed, so just use them as you wish.

I got so full of my big bad Judaean self in Phase I that I did not leave the Redoubts manned and now Aaron is going to really take me to task ! cry It will make for an interesting Phase II though !

Militia do get in the way, don't they ? laugh I usually put them double stacked in Built-ups. I also deploy them to hold bypassed Redoubts. I do not, however, use them quite so casually ...

Reserves: At the start of the Judaean Rally Phase, I look to see if the Romans are on any two Wall hexes or in the City Area. If they are, I roll for reserves. One die for >1 Wall hex, two dice if Romans are in the City Area. If the Romans have played coy, I look back at his attacks for that Turn. If 2 or more hexes were attacked by Missile fire or Melee, I roll for reserves. One die.

If the Roman fires at any number of hexes during the Judaean Turn, it makes no difference, as the Rule limits reserve activation to the Judaean Rally Phase of each Turn. Does this help ? Hope it does.

Best -

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I'm sorry but I didn't state it very clear: with garrisons I didn't mean the 3 standard garrisons, but the occupants of the 5 bypassed forts. They setup before the romans do, so that will effect the roman setup (and mining attempts).

Reserves: do I read it right that you only get reserves with romans on/in the city? Or do missile or melee or ram attacks count?
The confusing part is that there seem to be two conditions, which have to be met both:
1: is a roman on the wall or in the city AND THEN
2: if yes (determine the number of dice according to what happened).
Which mean that if a missile unit attacks the wall, 1 is not valid, so no reserves will be activated.
Or did I just not understand it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lipka
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Vlad -

I do not think you need me to set up the boys in the Redoubts. Bypassed Forts may be garrisoned or abandoned just before the normal Judaean set-up. The actions before the Roman set-up are just to show that the Judaean holds that Fort. See Steps 7, 13, 28, 29 and 30 of the Sequence of Play from the Errata FAQ. (For what it is worth, I always garrison bypassed Forts.)

Judaean reserves confuse me too. Aaron and I have gone over it word by word and here is our interpretation:

Reserves are determined and activated during the Judaean Rally Phase if any of the following is true:
1) Roman units have occupied 2 or more hexes (including its Walls) of a City Area OR
2) One or more Roman units are inside a City Area OR
3) Missile/melee attacks were made on 2 or more hexes of an Area (including its Walls) in the preceding Roman half of that Turn.

EX. Romans melee attack a Bastion on the NC Wall from a Tower and an adjacent Wall hex. The attack succeeds and all attackers advance into the Bastion. Reserves WILL be activated (one die) because the Roman occupied 2 hexes of the NC Area (including its Walls), even though only one is occupied at the moment.

EX. Romans melee attack a Wall from a Tower and an adjacent Breach. The attack succeeds and the Romans on the Tower move on to the Wall. Reserves are NOT activated, since the Breach is not inside the City Area, nor is it a Wall.

EX. Roman Missile Fire attacks a Bastion. A Ram attacks a different Bastion. Reserves are NOT activated, since rams do not make missile attacks.

EX. Roman Missile Fire attacks a Bastion. Two adjacent Towers melee the same Bastion, getting continuous combat and re-attacking it. Reserves are NOT activated, since only one HEX has been attacked, albeit by 2 or more attacks.

EX. Roman Missile Fire attacks two separate hexes of the same City Area. There are no Roman units on Walls or in the City Area. Reserves ARE activated (one die), since 2 different hexes of the same Area were attacked my missile fire.

EX. Roman Missile Fire attacks a Bastion. A second missile attack is made against Judaeans in a different City Area. Reserves are NOT activated, since the attacks are not against the same Area.

EX. Roman Missile Fire attacks a Bastion. The Roman melees a different hex. Reserves ARE activated (one die), since 2 different hexes of the same Area were attacked, albeit by different methods.

Hope this helps !

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a moderator can move this part of the discussion to the 'rules' section?

Quote:
Reserves are determined and activated during the Judaean Rally Phase if any of the following is true:
1) Roman units have occupied 2 or more hexes (including its Walls) of a City Area OR
3) Missile/melee attacks were made on 2 or more hexes of an Area (including its Walls) in the preceding Roman half of that Turn.
Agree. And 1 and 3 give the judean 1 die and 2 gives 2 dice, right?

They state however that the Judean may continue to activate those reserves until romans control the area. But what if the ROmans would retreat after the first attack? How many dice may be used then? Or should you use the amount of dice you used when the conditions where met?

I agree to all examples, but a question about this one:
Your second example: a bit tricky, not counting the breach a part of an Area. Before it was, as an elevated hex, but once breached it's gone from the area? I would say: it becomes part of the city's (groundlevel) area. When you look at the people who are living in the area, what is more alarming: a roman on the wall, or a collapsing wall with romans pouring through? I would say the latter, so they would get 2 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The interphase between assault 1 and 2

After getting a bloody nose in the first assault and the Judeans getting 90% replacement (giving them a number of units higher than before)the question was what the Romans should do next. When you look at the week-schedule, waitig has the advantage of mines, replacement, armored towers and ramps; disadvantages are VP for the Judean and repairs.

Replacement would be more than welcome for the romans, from who several cohorts were not 'whole' anymore. Looking at the size of the fortifications before them (although a little bruised and battered in some places) an armored tower would be nice too and the most valuable would be many mines. At first I thought I could push through the existing holes with the legions, levelling all damaged fortifications in the proces with the rams. However, the size of the Judean force made me decide otherwise, so I needed mines to gain more entries.
The one thing not needed right now were ramps. The access to the temple was already open and there was no space it can easily be placed and create a wonderful breakthrough (I doubt that those wonderful breackthrough will ever come).
The downside: repairs, well, they would be offset by the mines and VP, well that's too bad, but can't think about that now. Without mines the Judean would gather far more than those few points..

The attack-planning: after thinking about the first plan 3 legions against TQ, AF and TC and 1 legion on the other side of the TC against NC-bypassed forts and TC itself. However, the death alley looked frightening and I didn't want to be so reckless as in AP1, so I shifted the attention of the legions to the AF and TC. TQ can wait.

So digging mines it was. The romans waited for 5 weeks. You can say about their fighting skills in AP1 what you want, but when it comes to engineering things they are the best: 4 mines again! How often do you do that, rolling a 6 again, just like in the first phase?
The first mine struck the eastern inner wall of the TQ, right at the gate (eh, who says I have to attack with my legion the same place the mine hit? Just softening her up for future phases). The attack created a five hex damage section, with the 3 bastions all taking considerable damage and the northern inner wall (north of the inner gate) collapsing, making the second breach.
The second mine struck, not surprisingly the eastern side of the Antiona Fortress. Damage was again stretched out over 5 hexes, doing damage to one of the outer walls of the TQ, damaging the 2 fortresses (one being back to the point of collapsing, after Judeans had repaired it considerably in the interphase), the bastion gate and collapsing the 'junction-wall' where it connects to the Tyropean city wall.
The third mine struck the Damascus gate, with heavy damage to the gate and creating a breach next to it.
The last mine struck the northwestern section of the New wall, where 3 forts were still holding out. 1 fort and 1 fortress got damaged, one adjacent wall collapsed.

The Judeans had setup their artillery very clever (thanks to Alan!), with several units in the back of the TQ and AF to crossfire on intruding romans. Luckily the TQ is not an official target for this assault, but the enormous amount of artillery on other sections is frightening too.

Finally the romans rolled for an armored tower, which they failed to do in AP1, but finally they got one.. and they traded one tower and ram for another armored tower.

The romans will setup their legions: one on the nice ledge outside the NC-wall, eastern side. (out of range of that nasty artillery)while placing their heavy artillery in the captured bastions and forts, so the death alley will see an artillery duel..
The other one has been placed in the NC, eastern side, just out of range of the Judean archers. On the clear open western side of the NC two legions are placed, one opposite the Damascus gate, one opposite the western NC wall.

The four Judean factions are placed as follows:
The biggest faction, the Levi, are placed around the TQ and AF, with a lot of regulars guarding the towers and a fair deal of zealots as well. Ben Yair is on the outer temple wall (western side) so he can move to AF, TQ or TC, wherever his help is needed. The Giora faction guards the northeastern side of the Tyropean city, blocking the two breaches and manning the bastions. The Gurion faction, which had taken a severe beating in AP1 (only one unit remaining)guards the environs of the Damascus gate and finally the Shimmon faction guards the Yafo gate, the southwestern wall of the TC and the several bypassed fortresses.

This will be a brutal fight..

More updates when I'm done playing the second AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite all high expectations, the second assault phase began at a slow pace with the Romans hardly making any headway into the Judean fortifications. The opening artillery barrage of the Judeans was largely inconsequential, mainly due their ‘second-line-defense’, which would focus on shooting Romans breaking through the defenses. In the western section a catapult and ballista of the Romans was damaged, rallied, but then disrupted again. The roman response was as lackluster as the Judean’s. They caused hardly any damage, besides some disrupted units. The Roman assault was as unsuccessful as the artillery fire had been. In the east, the 3 armored towers closed to the eastern wall of the Antonia Fortress, while 15th legion assaulted the eastern wall of the Tyropean city. The attacks didn’t have any effect, as was to be expected. The rams would have to do the work against the heavily defended fortresses. In the west the 10th legion started to attack the bypassed fortresses of the New City, quickly capturing one. On this side of the city the Roman had made some big setup mistakes. An onager, placed in a bastion on the new wall, was useless once the adjoining fort was captured. A siege tower which helped taking the fort, now had to traverse the whole New City to be of some use against the Tyropean city wall. One of the other forts was besieged on all sides, while the fort closest to the Yafo gate complex was heavily defended by the Judeans, making it very hard to capture. The fort and fortress in the ultimate northwest were beset by a ram which started to pound the gate to rubble first. An attack from the north wall was a failure. A later counterattack destroyed a heavy infantry.
Near the Tyropean wall the Romans achieved a dramatic success however. There were already two breached next to the Damascus gate (eastside). In the first assault the Romans captured the bastion east of it, which would make the defense of the breaches very hard for the Judeans. West of the Damascus gate the Romans moved in to silence one of the two onagers which used an accurate crossfire on the besieging units and caused heavy casualties (as well as disrupting the Roman ballista, as described above). The Roman ‘swarming’ tactic with missile units attacking bastions en masse was successful though with many units being disrupted. The Judean replaced those units with fresh regulars while the disrupted one recuperated in the city below. The Judean attack caused some eliminations and almost disrupted Titus himself near the AF.

In the second turn the Roman rams finally brought down the northeastern fortress of the AF, killing its inhabitants and artillery. At the same time the Damascus gate and the northwestern gate of the New City collapsed. Romans poured into the breaches near the Damascus gate, but failed to do some damage on the defenders in the built up area’s beyond. One more fort on the western new wall was captured, but a attack against the bastion and bastion gate of the TC (eastern side) failed. Attacks on the AF failed as well. The Judean counterattack failed to do much damage as well, the cohorts which were in the clear area between the built-up area and walls of the Tyropean city couldn’t be dislodged. A cfull cohort which had entered through the breach of the AF was beset on all sides by Judean missile and artillery fire and was quickly disrupted. The Judean missile attacks were devastating however, several units were disrupted and some eliminated. At this point things looked bleak for the Romans, but the Judeans had their worries too. They had failed to dislodge the Romans and the continuous bombardment of the walls by the Roman artillery and missile units began to take their toll. Between the Yafo gate and the Antonia fortress there is only 1 fort and 1 fortress on the Tyropean wall, the rest consisting of bastions. The fortress had been leveled with a ram on its way to the fort. The bastions were a prime target for the massed Roman missile/artillery units which continued to disrupt the units within. The Judean has the choice of putting inferior troops in the bastions in order to save them from being captured by the Romans, but those units are much more susceptible to missile fire and don’t have the ability to do anything against the massed (and exposed) archers below the walls. Regulars who show up at the bastions tend to be shot and disrupted immediately. This way the Judean had a carrousel of disrupted units entering the built up hexes below to be rallied and other units taking their places. However, the quality of the troops was rapidly diminishing. New reserves were coming to their aid, but most of these were of dubious quality (militia).
At the end of the second turn the Romans had cleared the two eastern bastions of the TC and stood poised to take possession of them. The two bastions between the Damascus and Yafo gates were being emptied also, with one of the onagers on the northern one being demolished by the Romans. The battle for the interior of the Tyropean city is about to begin.

The battle for the Tyropean city really began in earnest now, with cohorts of the 12th legion pouring through the breaches. On the eastern side the 10th legion attacked. The battle for the Antonia Fortress didn’t proceed very well. The rams were so slow at bringing down the one remaining fortress on the eastern side, that the Judeans had already evacuated all valuable troops from it and replaced them with expendable militia. The main problem, however, was how to proceed after the leveling of the eastern side. The towers can’t reach the western side of the Fortress due to the edifice hexes in between. The roundabout way would take much to long to do be of any effect. The only thing the Roman could do there was to inflict as much casualties on the Judeans and assault the remaining northern TQ outer wall hexes to clear the way for a major assault on the temple in the following phase. Lesson learned: the AF can only be taken when both the New and Tyropean city are captured, or you need some speedy rams to circumvent the walls and attack the western fortresses very quickly (Not the armored towers I use..)
Meanwhile the northwestern fortress of the New City was brought down by a ram, leaving only the fort nearest to the Yafo gate in Judean hands (and heavily assaulted every turn). The 12th legion made deep forays into the built up areas, while the 10th legion only took the built up area next to the breach, to be repulsed next turn to the breach by some zealots. In the western section the Judeans had a hard time, trying to man the two remaining bastions and fort. The Bastions were constantly being harassed by missile and artillery fire, which made it hard for the Judean to keep fresh units inside of them. The northern bastion (soutb of the Damascus gate) was assaulted on all sides by Romans, but withstood the attacks, causing sever casualties on the Roman’s heavy infantry. The fort (with gate) south of the Damascus gate was finally being assaulted by a ram.

Bloodbath
The 12th legion, which was assaulting the TC from the destroyed Damascus gate was pushed back to their starting positions with heavy losses. Because their forces were also attacking the bastions to the immediate south and east of the (former) gate, they had no heavy infantry left to continue the assault and waiting instead for the other legions to do the work.
The 5th legion attacked the positions near the Yafo gate, the last remaining fortress on the New City wall and the bastion on the TC wall nearest to the Yafo gate. The Judeans made an effective defense, taking their disrupted units out of the beleaguered forts to rally in the Yafo gate complex and sending fresh units back. After heavy fighting and concentrated missile/artillery fire the Romans finally succeeded in capturing the bastion. Attacks on the junction of Yafo gate and New City walls (to flank the fortress on the New City wall) only resulted in destroyed heavy infantry. Meanwhile the 10th legion finally managed to push the Judeans back into the Tyropean city, capturing the remaining bastions on the north wall of the TC in the process. The 15th legion finally had some success in capturing in one turn both the eastern bastion gate of the Antiona Fortress and the fortress south of it. Further attacks on the northern TQ wall were to no avail however. Attacks on the edifices of the AF also met with disaster as concentrated artillery and missile fire routed and destroyed several units. Therefore the 3 armored towers tried to move around the AF, 2 to the TQ-side and one to the TC, to bring down the walls on all sides to make an attack in the 3rd AP easier. A sortie of 3 regulars from the Susa gate failed to wreck those towers and they were instead routed by cavalry, which was immediately routed itself by concentrated fire from the temple walls. The four legions (and especially the 12th) had taken severe damage from the fighting, so a long recuperation period would be necessary after this assault.

Sudden death
The night saw units from 3 legions pouring into the TC, finally save from the devastating missile fire. The 10th legion pushed the Judeans around the northwest corner of the AF. The remaining units of the 12 legion, finally having captured the bastion to the east of the Damascus gate entered the city again in force. The ram of the legion brought the fort gate south of the Damascus gate down with all its defenders inside. Units of the 5th legion entered the TC through the recently captured bastion north of the Yafo gate, while its ram destroyed the bastion gate of the Yafo gate which leads to the New City. The rest of the Gate complex would not fall, however. The Romans pressed the Judeans into a corner of the TC and Titus, unable to make any difference in attacking the fortresses of the AF (western side), decided to help the Romans in making as much casualties as possible, to make things easier in the next AP. Two veteran units and Titus cut a swath of destruction through the Judean lines. Through a series of continuous combats he managed to rout and destroy several units, but in the process he got separated from the other Roman units. In the last turn, all remaining Judean units (3 zealots, 5 regulars, 1 leader and several militia) managed to surround Titus on all sides and attack him with a 4:1 ratio. Even with those odds, Titus had a fair change of surviving this, due to the –1 on the die roll (+1 night, -1 Titus, -1 Built up). The Judeans, however, rolled a 6, eliminating both veteran units and they were allowed a continuous attack against the lone Titus. Another 6 sealed his fate.
The legions, seeing their commander die and having taken some severe damage themselves (43 heavy infantry units in this AP only!) decided they had enough and mutinied. Titus successor, Tiberius Alexander, could only decide to pull back the legions to the coastal areas of the Judea and thus life the siege. The New City had been leveled, its outer walls destroyed in many places, The Tyropean city was heavy damaged. The Temple Quarter’s northeastern walls and the Antiona Fortress’ eastern forts were destroyed, but the city was saved. The Judeans had prevailed.

Looking back at this game I found it very dissatisfying to lose the game as Romans this way. They had a hard enough job in the next AP, and it shouldn’t end this way. The siege itself was very tense and exciting, making this a wonderful game. However, just needing to rely on a ‘six’ so many times, tends to make this game a little luck-dependent. In this game, the Judeans clearly had the luck on their side and the Romans didn’t (except for the mining attempts). The battle is a tough one for the Romans and if the die rolls work against them, well forget the siege then..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lipka
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Martijn -

Quote:
Agree. And 1 and 3 give the judean 1 die and 2 gives 2 dice, right?

Yes.

Quote:
They state however that the Judean may continue to activate those reserves until romans control the area. But what if the ROmans would retreat after the first attack?

We have always played that Judaean Reserves are generated EACH turn per activation conditions. So, if the Roman retreats and does not attack, no Reserves are activated that Turn.

Quote:
not counting the breach a part of an Area

There is no Rule addressing this. However, Rule 18.3 states that "The city is divided into ten separate areas by Walls ...". The area is inside the Wall. The Wall is a separate feature. A Breach is not inside the Wall, so it cannot be part of the city area. A Breach is not an Elevated Hex, so it is not a Wall. A Breach is a Breach, and should not be considered either a Wall or a city area whenever applying Rules to either.

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lipka
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Looking back at this game I found it very dissatisfying to lose the game as Romans this way. They had a hard enough job in the next AP, and it shouldn’t end this way.

Hi Martijn -

You are absolutely correct. After working so hard to accomplish so much, the loss of Titus (and the ENTIRE Game), is tough to take. With so much on the line, the lesson is clear ... protect Titus. It sounds so simple, doesn't it ? Why do we (you and I as fellow Romans) get so careless at the end ??? cry

This points out one of the key Roman considerations, i.e., conservation of units. The Roman must go from prepared assault (where he husbands his units) to wild melee (where he spends them recklessly) to solid defense (where he protects them passionately) if he wishes to avoid a Pyhric Victory.

Thankfully, since the Game is solitaire, you can ignore the Mutiny and simply carry on with Tiberius. Or perhaps you wish to try Phase II again ? Either way, you will learn a lot and have a great deal of fun. I think you gotta try Phase III from this position ... laugh

Best regards -

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I put all counters back in the box. I don't think that with over 50 HI out of the game, the Roman had much chance, against 80% of the Judeans..

I think concentrating your forces spares your troops. Now I had one legion attacking the outer works and the inner city at once, with too few troops to pull it off. If you do something, do it right..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls