Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D McHenry
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Playing without any optionals and I'm confused how CAP is modeled. This is how I'm guessing it works:

-Carrier launches CAP (interceptor-capable aircraft) in the air operations phase, creating an Air Formation in it's hex.
-Carrier TF moves, leaving the just-launched Air Formation behind.
-In Air Movement phase the CAP has to catch up with Carrier TF?

The issue I see here is if you lose the initiative roll, then your CAP is in the wrong place when enemy planes move into the Carrier TF hex.

Is there a rule I'm missing here? Can friendly planes shadow a TF? Does the "In Flight" box represent a CAP box and allow planes to move with carriers during TF movement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have the rules in front of me, but I don't believe that the CAP gets "left behind," nor do you have to count hexes, it just goes with the TF. Sorry I can't reach the rules to find a cite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the way Doug describes. Even without looking up a specific rule, it would be pretty ineffective CAP that didn't notice the carrier steaming off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

There is no CAP order in Flat Top. You must track every hex of a plane's movement. In part because you need to know how many hexes it has travelled (and how many turns it has been airborne), and if it just follows a taskforce, you don't have a (separate) record of this, to be able to keep track properly.
IF you want it to serve as CAP you have to make sure its movement path keeps it with the task force. (Identify the hex numbers it will be travelling through--every turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerónimo Menéndez
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Romper y no doblar
mbmbmbmbmb
Place the FA counter in the "In Flight" box of the TF you want to protect. You don't need to move it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xerof wrote:
Place the FA counter in the "In Flight" box of the TF you want to protect. You don't need to move it at all.

This is correct. No need to track hex numbers, for this Air Formation (or any other). All you need to know is how many turns they've been in the air
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Xerof wrote:

That's a lot easier.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D McHenry
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anyone have a rules reference on this interpretation? Or are folks just sharing their house rules?

We played the starter scenario twice and really enjoyed it. But I'm struggling with the rules. They seem oddly incomplete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hall
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmchenry99 wrote:
Does anyone have a rules reference on this interpretation? Or are folks just sharing their house rules?

Page 12 in the Avalon Hill rule book, 14.19 should cover it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmchenry99 wrote:
Playing without any optionals and I'm confused how CAP is modeled. This is how I'm guessing it works:

-Carrier launches CAP (interceptor-capable aircraft) in the air operations phase, creating an Air Formation in it's hex.
-Carrier TF moves, leaving the just-launched Air Formation behind.
-In Air Movement phase the CAP has to catch up with Carrier TF?

The issue I see here is if you lose the initiative roll, then your CAP is in the wrong place when enemy planes move into the Carrier TF hex.

Is there a rule I'm missing here? Can friendly planes shadow a TF? Does the "In Flight" box represent a CAP box and allow planes to move with carriers during TF movement?

Whether the rules say it or not, that clearly CANNOT be the designers' intent. Have you ever heard of anywhere in the history of carrier operations that a CAP didn't CAP (because its ship(s) moved)?! Of course not.

In Victory Games' Fleet-series, the airborne planes get but on a track(er) and a chit (named, appropriately, "CAP" or "CAP AEW") gets put on top the task force/group and follows its carrier automagically. Then again, Fleet series have a CAP phase, and sounds like FT does not. So....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tooslow56 wrote:
dmchenry99 wrote:

Page 12 in the Avalon Hill rule book, 14.19 should cover it.

Correct. Official rules:
Quote:
14.19 In Flight Box
An Air Formation that is in an In Flight box of a plane carrying ship is considered to move with the TF the ship is a part of during the Task Force Movement Phase. Should the Air Formation decide to leave the hex the TF occupies, it would have its MF reduced by the number of hexes the TF moved that turn. An Air Formation in the same hex as a TF that is not in the In Flight box of a plane carrying ship may not move with the TF during the Task Force Movement Phase.

Also, the optional rules compilation has a couple pages on Ready CAp specifically for game mastered games (ref. The General, Vol 19-6)

I believe these are available online. I have a copy of the pdf compiled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars W
msg tools
mbmb
In general, a CAP shouldn't need to record time aloft as in reality, the CAP aircraft take off and land/ refuel constantly, so as to have a maximum of fuel in case enemy aircraft were sighted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lars Wistedt wrote:
In general, a CAP shouldn't need to record time aloft as in reality, the CAP aircraft take off and land/ refuel constantly, so as to have a maximum of fuel in case enemy aircraft were sighted.

Incorrect as far as game mechanics go. You absolutely do have to track time aloft on every air formation, including those assigned to CAP

In this game rotating the planes on CAP is entirely on you, and it's one of the many delightful puzzles you have to juggle. I typically launch a fairly large AF to CAP at dawn, and then almost immediately start bringing planes down from it over the next few hours to cycle through the refueling process and send them back up, which is how you accomplish in the game exactly what you describe as the reality.

I very typically end up with 3 or more Air Formations in the CAP box, each AF at a different fuel state
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.