United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb

Vanity Fair wrote:
GARY JOHNSON AND JILL STEIN HANDED THE PRESIDENCY TO DONALD TRUMP

Few people knew or cared about either third-party candidate, but enough of them voted to cost Clinton the election.

Jezebel.com wrote:
Fuck Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson, a Libertarian nominee so baldly ill-equipped to win the presidency that his own VP Bill Weld semi-openly supported Clinton, has done his part—to the tune of a historic 4 million votes—to help ensure a Donald Trump presidency. Fuck you, Gary. We see you, and we won’t forget this.

Here's the deal: We know you're mad (we aren't terribly pleased either) but here's a few things to keep in mind:

A) Voting Libertarian is not a "protest vote" it's a principled vote. It's voting for what you believe in no matter what various narratives are being spun by ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX/CNN/MSNBC/ETC. If there were any "protest votes" in this election, they were cast by Trump supporters.

B) Despite "few people knowing or caring" about us, we at least got off of our asses and voted. For some of us, it's at least the 5th straight presidential election in which we have voted Libertarian (some of us even pulled the lever for Bob freakin' Barr in 2008, that was a tough one.) So instead of throwing shade at us for actually voting, maybe it's time you told your lazy Democrat friends to get off of their posh asses and make it happen.

Because if you Democrats weren't already sad enough, here is the deal:
Trump got fewer votes than Mitt Romney in 2012.
Trump got fewer votes than John McCain in 2008.

It was distinctly in your power to avoid this, but your butthurt Bernie boys (and girls) stayed home.

C) Stop crying about it and organize yourselves. Find a purpose again. Don't take peoples' votes for granted, and maybe try having an actual political message that isn't "Well that guy is a terrible mess!" Because while it might be true, it apparently isn't getting your folks to the polls.

-yrs truly, (in Peace, Love, and smaller government)
mayor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't vote against something hard enough!!! You should be ashaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
GameCrossing wrote:
You didn't vote against something hard enough!!! You should be ashaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamed.
There is an irony that the "hate-filled mobs" have suddenly shifted from Right to Left.
But as per usual, the LP will be forgotten soon enough (until the time comes 'round to scapegoat us once again.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm blaming Hillary Clinton for being smeared for 20 years and appearing to be toxic to so many people. And white women for being stupid enough to vote for Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe all of the Hillary voters should not have wasted their votes on her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kissa
United States
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
There is an irony that the "hate-filled mobs" have suddenly shifted from Right to Left.
But as per usual, the LP will be forgotten soon enough (until the time comes 'round to scapegoat us once again.)
The dems are just mad and lashing out against anyone and everyone. They only have themselves to blame... from the false media narrative to the corruption at the dnc and the strong arm tactics of party politics as usual. It's interesting to note that the repubs weren't able to strong arm their populist candidate out of the running like the dems did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Maybe all of the Hillary voters should not have wasted their votes on her.

That's good. Actually all of those Clinton voters cost Johnston the election and handed it to Trump!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's out of line.

I don't think it was the most strategic vote, but people who voted for Johnson did not vote for a demagogue. Johnson is a good guy who didn't stoke the flames of racial division.

It's a pity he didn't get more votes. We could really use a strong Libertarian party, because I have a sinking feeling that there will be a lot more populism winning elections in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I love this fascinating assumption that libertarians would have voted Democrat if they didn't vote Johnson. Yes, because libertarians love MORE government control!

Voting Johnson was a fine vote.

The important thing to take away from this election is that as much as Americans love celebrities, they do not give a fuck who celebrities think they should vote for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There was zero chance I was going to vote for Clinton or Trump. I probably would have written someone in if there were no acceptable third parties on the ballot (or skipped it entirely if that wasn't an option somehow).

I'm really not sure why anyone thinks most people voting for Johnson are disgruntled potential Clinton voters anyway. I would think you should be directing that at Stein voters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
Going back to the point, only blame is to the people that didn't show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:

I don't think it was the most strategic vote, but people who voted for Johnson did not vote for a demagogue. Johnson is a good guy who didn't stoke the flames of racial division.

It's a pity he didn't get more votes. We could really use a strong Libertarian party, because I have a sinking feeling that there will be a lot more populism winning elections in the near future.

Worth noting the Bernie Bros wanted the left populist instead of the right populist. They still wanted a ragemonger populist though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
windsagio wrote:
Worth noting the Bernie Bros wanted the left populist instead of the right populist. They still wanted a ragemonger populist though.
I was perusing Reddit in the immediate aftermath, and a very popular sentiment among the (admittedly liberal) rank & file was nominating Jon Stewart. Their thinking was, "Hey, if it's cool for a popular celebrity pundit with no political pedigree to be President, you could do a lot worse than this guy."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's predictable, the Dems didn't have Nader to scapegoat this time for their bad candidate. Stein didn't even get enough votes for them to exaggerate her role by ignoring larger Hillary faults, so they go after Johnson.

The reason that Johnson got as many votes as he did was because Trump was a bad candidate. Most of those voters would have went GOP with a sane candidate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's rich. Rig your primaries and tell everyone you stepped on that you don't need their vote, then turn around and blame them when your corrupt candidate loses without their vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacking 3rd party voters and candidates when you can't draw your own base to the polls seems pretty stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

If Bernie wins the nomination in 2020 maybe I should decide to vote third party if wanted some other Democrat to win.

That was for you Chin and she2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, at the end of the day I suspect if the Johnson votes disappeared and were distributed by second choice, it would be a wash or slightly pro-Trump.

That's hindsight, though. Even though it didn't cost THIS election, it could have.

But ultimately, no Trump's election isn't Johnson's fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Yeah, at the end of the day I suspect if the Johnson votes disappeared and were distributed by second choice, it would be a wash or slightly pro-Trump.

That's hindsight, though. Even though it didn't cost THIS election, it could have.

Well, what would you expect from the guy whose greatest "contribution" to mankind is Family Guy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Well, what would you expect from the guy whose greatest "contribution" to mankind is Family Guy?

I always get him confused with Todd MacFarlane, someone whose work is enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Actually given the preponderance of rape jokes on MacFarlane's shows, I'm surprised he didn't back Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Honestly Seth McFarlane needs to shut his fucking mouth regarding anyone else's moral choices as long as he's making a living making truly nasty garbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
There is the Cosmos reboot, but some Christians take exception with the characterizations of their spiritual forebears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Honestly Seth McFarlane needs to shut his fucking mouth regarding anyone else's moral choices as long as he's making a living making truly nasty garbage.

No he doesn't. It's a free country... for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnson and Stein got so few votes, I'm not sure it would have made a difference. Sure, the popular vote would have been more skewed but many (most) of those votes are in states where Trump won by over 5%.

However, if any 3rd party voters from swing states could have made a difference (and I haven't bothered to check because it doesn't matter), then I don't feel any sympathy for any suffering they will experience under Trump, the republican government, and the next two to three decades of hard right, theocratic, pro corporate, (and even possibly misogynistic and racist*) supreme court.

*I think a lot of women are going to suffer under anti abortion and a casual attitude towards sexual assault and rape held by republicans even before Trump.

*I think the new federal judges will allow voter suppression and that once the supreme court is captured, it will back them up. On rolling back the civil rights act, or mass deportation, or allowing businesses to hire and promote white males it's not as certain but they are all on the table).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.