Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

News is breaking that Robert Vaughn died this morning.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was one of my dad's favorite shows, and became mine too by watching with Pa, but I really think that my favorite Robert Vaughn role was Walter Chalmers in the movie "Bullitt".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmb
My fondest memory of him is in Blake Edwards' S.O.B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Vaughn got the punch line (as Lee) in one of my favorite pieces of dialogue on film.

Magnificent Seven

Chico: Villages like this they make up a song about every big thing that happens. Sing them for years.

Chris Adams: You think it's worth it?

Chico: Don't you?

Chris Adams: It's only a matter of knowing how to shoot a gun. Nothing big about that.

Chico: Hey. How can you talk like this? Your gun has got you everything you have. Isn't that true? Hmm? Well, isn't that true?

Vin: Yeah, sure. Everything. After awhile you can call bartenders and faro dealers by their first name - maybe two hundred of 'em! Rented rooms you live in - five hundred! Meals you eat in hash houses - a thousand! Home - none! Wife - none! Kids... none! Prospects - zero. Suppose I left anything out?

Chris Adams: Yeah. Places you're tied down to - none. People with a hold on you - none. Men you step aside for - none.

Lee: Insults swallowed - none. Enemies - none.

Chris Adams: No enemies?

Lee: Alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
Vaughn got the punch line (as Lee) in one of my favorite pieces of dialogue on film.

Magnificent Seven

Chico: Villages like this they make up a song about every big thing that happens. Sing them for years.

Chris Adams: It's only a matter of knowing how to shoot a gun. Nothing big about that.

Chico: Hey. How can you talk like this? Your gun has got you everything you have. Isn't that true? Hmm? Well, isn't that true?

Vin: Yeah, sure. Everything. After awhile you can call bartenders and faro dealers by their first name - maybe two hundred of 'em! Rented rooms you live in - five hundred! Meals you eat in hash houses - a thousand! Home - none! Wife - none! Kids... none! Prospects - zero. Suppose I left anything out?

Chris Adams: Yeah. Places you're tied down to - none. People with a hold on you - none. Men you step aside for - none.

and OF COURSE

NO! Wait. Listen to the rest of it: I sleep with my back to the wall - when I CAN sleep. I eat serpents seven times a week. There's not a major city in this galaxy where I can show my face, or spend my wealth. Right now, your offer looks very attractive to me... A meal, and a place to hide.

It's a shame that great line is not from the Seven, just the same character.

Yes Mr Vaughn always added a touch of class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Finally, when the money was high enough, the script suddenly revealed itself as being very clear to me.

RIP Robert Vaughn - who will always be Napoleon Solo for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
TrustyJules wrote:
Quote:
Finally, when the money was high enough, the script suddenly revealed itself as being very clear to me.

RIP Robert Vaughn - who will always be Napoleon Solo for me

Yep and me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

News is breaking that Robert Vaughn died this morning.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was one of my dad's favorite shows, and became mine too by watching with Pa, but I really think that my favorite Robert Vaughn role was Walter Chalmers in the movie "Bullitt".

Sad news Justin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent actor. Enjoyed him as both good guy and bad guy. My earliest memory of him is from "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." TV series. Never missed one of those shows, from the time they began.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad. He was in a lot of great shows
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He was very intelligent. Here he is on Firing Line.

Buckley's reference to "Thrush" is the organization U.N.C.L.E. was pitted against.

If anyone knows where the full discussion can be viewed, I would greatly appreciate it. Here is another snippet:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I'm now very interested in watching that, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
shumyum wrote:

Magnificent Seven

and OF COURSE

NO! Wait. Listen to the rest of it: I sleep with my back to the wall - when I CAN sleep. I eat serpents seven times a week. There's not a major city in this galaxy where I can show my face, or spend my wealth. Right now, your offer looks very attractive to me... A meal, and a place to hide.

I always considered Gelt to be a much different character from the rest in that particular film. Far more subdued and clearly less flamboyant or flashy than the other personalities, despite the capability of being such. While it makes him stand out, it also made him a bit of an anti-hero, less likable than the primary characters in the cast.

I settle disputes very quickly. I'm very good at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the last season of The A-Team got a lot of flack for straying so far from what the show was for the rest of its run, but I did find guilty pleasure in that season, which predominantly featured Robert Vaughn as, basically, the guy who caught the A-Team and forced them to work for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
shumyum wrote:

Magnificent Seven

and OF COURSE

I always considered Gelt to be a much different character from the rest in that particular film. Far more subdued and clearly less flamboyant or flashy than the other personalities, despite the capability of being such. While it makes him stand out, it also made him a bit of an anti-hero, less likable than the primary characters in the cast.

I settle disputes very quickly. I'm very good at it.
I pretty much agree, he was also the best character.

It was like he was imported (well he was) from a totally different film. In a way the character jarred a bit as he did not fit the overall tone, and I think the version he would have fitted in woudl have been a better film.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.