Subject: I just got rolled, mate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Cioffi

Pennsylvania
msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Spoilers for second session of the campaign

Wow. So the first session really eases you into the game. Although I ran into my own challenges there, bailed out of my house and left it still standing with the priest inside, the second session really amped things up. I got next to nothing accomplished and ran into an escalating series of hurdles, mis-allocation of resources, and plain bad luck. I can safely say this game feels like Arkham Horror now.

Roland emerged from his house bruised but breathing.

"We need to find the rest of the cultists," Rita explained.

Roland nodded. He had managed to grab a shotgun on the way out of the house. He looked it over, found two shells intact, and cocked it with bravado.

"Let's do this."

That's how I felt at the beginning of the scenario, anyway. Everything quickly went to shit. A cultist wizard showed up in the graveyard, just as I managed to collect my first two clues. I thought I would take care of it real quick before delving into the cultist deck but found myself in an inescapable quagmire as a night-gaunt joined the party, followed shortly by the masked hunter. Damage, horror and doom racked up in quick measure, my shotgun was ineffectual and I had no choice but to limp away and resign before accomplishing anything. I can't wait to see how screwed I am for the conclusion!

You guys having similar luck out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've completed all 3 scenarios and have had pretty good luck. BUT I've not played them solo. All my plays have been 2P or 3P. The last 2 games we have played have not been super great and we've yet to "win' secenario 3, we always end up resigning. Although the first play we got a lot farther than we did in our 2nd play (we've played the full campaign 2xs now).

Good luck with scenario 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt the same way during the 3rd scenario. Didn't manage to visit more than 1 location other than the starting card. That's what I get for messing with forces I don't understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cioffi

Pennsylvania
msg tools
Heilz wrote:
That's what I get for messing with forces I don't understand.

Yep.

I was so confident too. I bought the shotty with my measly 4xp from the first session, drew it in my starting hand on the second session and thought I was going to start blasting some cultists.

Ohohoho how wrong I was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Scenario 2 is definitely much harder. The best I've done so far is three of the six cultists and that was with either Roland Banks or "Skids" O'Toole (heavily armed, I might add). Of the three scenarios, Scenario 2 seem designed the most for multi-player, since it's so hard to move all over the place with just one investigator, especially when you have other 'less-important' monsters to deal with.

On my second trial with "Skids" O'Toole I missed getting Herman Collins (cultist #4) by just one action before having to resign before Agenda 2a advanced. That was the best I have yet been able to do with a single investigator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most branches allow you to continue the campaign even on a perceived failure. The second campaign does really reward good investigation ability. I have not tried that one with just one investigator. I managed to pull it off mostly with Roland and Wendy (though Roland went insane during it and took a trauma) and again I faired pretty well with Daisy and Skids. In the first one I advanced the Act deck. In the second I did a lot, but Resigned instead of risking the Agenda deck running out. I have a four player campaign that we haven't finished yet where scenario two went south hard. While you have the freedom to spread out that also means the number of clues you have to pick up is scaled quite harshly and some enemies get quite a hefty HP total. This made it just as challenging for 1 as it was for 4 investigators it seems. The first scenario is relatively easy. The second campaign is when it gets real, but keep in mind Resign is there as an option from the beginning and if it looks like sticking around is just going to get you killed Resigning into the third scenario while not the most glamorous option is probably the best option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played solo. I'd consider 3 cultists in scenario 2 to be the mark for "succeeding". I've gotten 4 but it's not easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two plays of Night if the zealot have been played with Wendy and Roland 2P game). First run through we got 5/6 Cultists and the second time due to some bad luck/chaos tokens we only got 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dockter
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played for the first time with Roland and Agnes. We doing very well and confident going into the third act. Little did we know we'd be so unprepared for what happens. Needless to say we got schooled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly what I thought! First scenario ( Roland / Wendy)went pretty well had time to investigate and make some choices , burned the house the down and gained Lita... um then we went around Arkham for scenario 2 and couldn't get anything done!! We had ghouls and acolytes everywhere on us , 2 cultists only and resigned ! Jeepers creepers on that one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
A couple of images from a 2-handed solo game. (I was using Tabletop Simulator for this game as I'm testing a table layout for an upcoming video. The game was a single core set play though, without duplicating any cards.)

This contains spoilers for Chapter 3 of the Core Set campaign. Don't click unless you know what happens when Agenda 2 transitions to Agenda 3.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
A whole bunch of stuff went wrong during this scenario, but the cherry had to be when I resolved Agenda 2b.

This occured *just* as I was trying to stabilise out of a spiral. Roland in particular had been desperately digging for his First Aid (drawn into a moment prior), outside of that he had options for dealing with things. Wendy had just drawn into and played Hot Streak (pay 3 resources, gain 10) and she was ready to beef up.

So we have Roland, hurt, but prepped for handling many ill effects if he can just get a moment to fix himself up. Wendy with a carrysack stuffed to overflowing with assorted useful valuables and things to apply them on.

Which is to say, Roland has a full hand of 8 cards. Wendy has a big old splash of resources.

They both draw their weaknesses and..

(weakness cards are highlighted so they oversize)

Oh dear. So much for that windfall of resources Wendy.

Oof. That stacked hand you had a moment ago Roland isn't looking so good anymore, huh.

...I never did manage to stabilise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.