Subject: Why so expensive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Khian Foo
United States
Minot
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Why is this game so expensive? Worth the money ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris
2ème
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expensive? - try buying it in France. And yes, worth every dollar/euro and then some!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the answer is in one of these past threads?

Why is this game so expensive?
Too expensive for me
Caverna Price increase?
price
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm newer to the game so wasn't involved in the earlier discussions. However I can see why it's expensive - it has a crapload of components in the box.

The box isn't a coffin box, but it's certainly not small either - same as Agricola but considerably deeper. While Agricola comfortably holds all its components with room to spare if you use a plano type box, Caverna I can barely fit everything in.

In part this is because they chose to support up to 7 players, and I can see why this was criticised; it must certainly add to the weight and the cost because they include addition components to provide that support.

There are other threads discussing whether this was a good move or not, but the fact is that the components are why it's expensive and that's exacerbated by them choosing to support 7 players. If it only supported 5 players then it would probably cost ~20% less, making it not much more than Agricola or most other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just to clarify, my point is not "But look at all the STUFF you get!!!!". You can get a lot of 'stuff' for not much money, and you can pay £50+ for a video game and the only 'stuff' you get is a disc, a case and an paper cover.

You're paying for the whole package - the components set the minimum price, because you simply cannot make a profit by selling something for less than it cost to manufacture. But you are also paying for the work that went into designing the game.

So, you get a purely digital video games being great value at £60 while some board games with plenty of components terrible value at £5. You pay for both design and physical components. The price of Caverna is a combination of both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because someone thought making it a seven player game, thereby needing the components to suit seven players, was a "good" idea. I love it, I love Uwe's games, but this behemoth does not need the added player count, components, or game time, for seven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
but this behemoth does not need the added player count, components, or game time, for seven.
It does if there are 7 people who want to play it at the same time ... there are few games that accommodate a group of 7, and those that do are welcomed ... by groups of 7, mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Olivier Fiset
Canada
flag msg tools
I thought the same thing about the component count before playing it twice at 6 players. Now I can't wait to play a 7-player game. I'm glad the components are in the box. Everyone in our group loves this game, and we don't mind the long playtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The key to avoiding excessive downtime is to realise that the next player can play his/her turn while the first player is deliberating on e.g. the results of his expedition (and many other actions). I have played a game where it came around to that player's turn while they were still deliberating. If players get in the habit of deciding on their TWO preferred courses of action they can be ready to take their next action quickly after the preceding player has taken his. Or indeed hers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SeanFR wrote:
Expensive? - try buying it in France. And yes, worth every dollar/euro and then some!

Yes, it is quite a bit cheaper in France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
but this behemoth does not need the added player count, components, or game time, for seven.
It does if there are 7 people who want to play it at the same time ... there are few games that accommodate a group of 7, and those that do are welcomed ... by groups of 7, mostly.

Make an expansion for the extra player counts then. Many companies do this and it is much more cost effective for those who want to enjoy a great game at a reasonable price.

What would Caverna retail for if it only had components for 4 players? Certainly, less.

Waste of money for all of the "extra" components which just sit in the box.

Bleh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kinder
msg tools
new user
It's SUPER heavy and has a lot of content. It is rated one of the best board games ever, as well. Found a coupon code that made it the cheapest around. www.gamenerdz.com, givemecaverna, $20 off. Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.