Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Use a mic.
Or at the very least record in a room with carpet. I cannot hear you if you record in an echoey kitchen.

Lapel (also get a long extender cord):
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECMCS3-Omnidirectional-Stereo-Mi...

Short shotgun + shoe:
https://www.amazon.com/Azden-SGM-990-Shotgun-Microphone-Blac...

If your iPhone or Camera does not have a mic jack, record audio on your computer and use a clapboard to sync the sound/video.
Or get a direct-to-iOS mic (Shure is a good brand):
https://www.amazon.com/Shure-Digital-Condenser-Microphone-Li...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that lapel mic a model you have personally tried or just an example of a lapel mic? I have been thinking about posting some strategy videos but one of my regular excuses for not doing so has been the horrid quality I get out of my barely-good-enough-for-skype headset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Leach
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also add a plea that for anyone who's making a "list" video, please include a text description of the list (spoiler it if you must) so people don't have to sit through 20-30 minutes or more of video just to see if there's an opinion they're actually interested in watching/listening to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
ThinkingThatsAll wrote:
Is that lapel mic a model you have personally tried or just an example of a lapel mic? I have been thinking about posting some strategy videos but one of my regular excuses for not doing so has been the horrid quality I get out of my barely-good-enough-for-skype headset.

I haven't tried it myself, and it's on the cheaper end. The reviews seemed good enough that it will sound better than an on-board camera mic. It may be better than a Skype headset, because the voice headsets sometimes filter out highs and lows to isolate voice frequency, where this label doesn't seem to filter (I could be wrong).

I've used other Azdens and they're good. Look for the ones that need a battery power, rather than the ones with XLR cables that need phantom power. The one I posted should work.

Condenser mics are also good (used in radio and music recording), but many require phantom power and XLR cables. For quick videos, I think most people want something easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
galad2003 wrote:
I'll be more broad and say add as much production value as you can. Use proper mics, use proper cameras, use proper lighting and film in a decent place. Don't be afraid to do reshoots if able.

I get it, not everyone can afford good equipment. But the better your video the more I am likely to watch it and I assume you want me to watch it. I am not going to watch a poorly lit, video with bad sound where you mumble and stumble your way through.

Yes, excellent advice worth repeating.

The VERY LEAST I want people to learn that a good mic can go a long way. I recently saw a Kickstarter video with some terrible sound. I couldn't hear the rules. So I did not buy in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are recording in a room that is too "live" (read: loads of echo) a lot of that will be coming from the ceiling (weirdly) and can be easily remedied by putting a cheap sheet across the ceiling out of view and that will cut out much of it. I am not an acoustical expert so can't explain why this is but it is a cheap, quick and easy fix since cheap sheets can be purchased at big box stores for well under $20 USD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:
I cannot hear you if you record in an echoey kitchen.

Have you considered posting this complaint directly in response to any offending video ? To let them know and they don't have to guess ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
adamredwoods wrote:

Have you considered posting this complaint directly in response to any offending video ? To let them know and they don't have to guess ?

This is viewed as giving out negative energy and may hurt the videoer's feelings or cause her to stop making videos in the future. A steady stream of good feelings is required in video comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
This is viewed as giving out negative energy and may hurt the videoer's feelings or cause her to stop making videos in the future.

It is readily possible to provide useful criticism in a polite manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campbell
United Kingdom
Ilkeston
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zigihogan wrote:
If you are recording in a room that is too "live" (read: loads of echo) a lot of that will be coming from the ceiling (weirdly) and can be easily remedied by putting a cheap sheet across the ceiling out of view and that will cut out much of it. I am not an acoustical expert so can't explain why this is but it is a cheap, quick and easy fix since cheap sheets can be purchased at big box stores for well under $20 USD.

Generally speaking, your ceiling will be a flat surface so is ideal for the sound waves to bounce off in a uniform direction. Breaking up flat surface with sheets, furniture, etc. will cause the sound waves to bounce off in different directions, cutting down on the 'echo'.

At least I think that's the reason - I'm not a scientist/sound engineer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
TVis wrote:
adamredwoods wrote:

I'm trying to stop it off at the pass. Once a video is made, most people don't go back to re-do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
jumbit wrote:
TVis wrote:
adamredwoods wrote:

This is viewed as giving out negative energy and may hurt the videoer's feelings or cause her to stop making videos in the future. A steady stream of good feelings is required in video comments.

If someone can't handle negative comments on YouTube I would suggest making videos and the internet in general is not for them.

I think if you have a little tact and are genuinely interested in the betterment of something, there's a way to give criticism without sounding like an... jerk. Like, "Hey, I really enjoy your videos and the thoughtful commentary on gameplay. One thing I noticed though is that at times the sound is really hard to hear. Have you thought about..."

But this is a lot more work and others feel like the internet is an ok place to act like an... jerk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:
TVis wrote:
adamredwoods wrote:

I'm trying to stop it off at the pass. Once a video is made, most people don't go back to re-do it.

That's true but they will probably make more and they may appreciate the feedback for future reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:
TVis wrote:
adamredwoods wrote:

I see little hope of this thread stopping someone who has already posted. There is no motivation for them come looking here.

Nor much hope that anyone considering a posting stops here beforehand.
They just aren't thinking of this problem to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do videos but haven't been doing them for long (about 6 months). I have gotten some polite and constructive comments from folks along the way and I have appreciated it and used it to improve my vids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R3DSH1FT wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
jumbit wrote:
TVis wrote:
adamredwoods wrote:

If someone can't handle negative comments on YouTube I would suggest making videos and the internet in general is not for them.

I think if you have a little tact and are genuinely interested in the betterment of something, there's a way to give criticism without sounding like an... jerk. Like, "Hey, I really enjoy your videos and the thoughtful commentary on gameplay. One thing I noticed though is that at times the sound is really hard to hear. Have you thought about..."

But this is a lot more work and others feel like the internet is an ok place to act like an... jerk.

I tried this, the polite thing. In BGG comments, not on YT. There are videos which are interesting but unwatchable. Apparently criticism is bad mojo and ruins the mood, hurting everyone's feelings. Positivity is required. Snowflake culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Contrary to seemingly most BGG, I'm trying to find motives to get rid of games.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmb
jharus wrote:
I'd also add a plea that for anyone who's making a "list" video, please include a text description of the list (spoiler it if you must) so people don't have to sit through 20-30 minutes or more of video just to see if there's an opinion they're actually interested in watching/listening to.

More generally, the misconception is that a large audience means your stuff is good (see: Facebook/mobile free-to-play games); and thus that it's perfectly reasonable that since they keep watching, your videos are respecting your viewers' time. I have no patience for the exact same idea reformulated in 3 different ways because you're improvising and not very good at it. Also, each minute I spend staring at your livestream of words could be 15s in text form, so you better have more interesting visual ideas than your face.

Basically as far as I'm concerned, either go "The Untitled Flash-Based Review" or "Shut Up and Sit Down".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.