Subject: It cost HOW MUCH?!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought an anniversary card for my wife today.
I have long been on the record as hating greeting cards, mostly due to the price but also because you look at them once and put them on a counter for a week or a month and then toss them.
No one picks up a card two days after they received it and sits down and reads it again, then gets all misty and lovey-dovey over the sentiment.

But it's my wife, and I haven't bought her a card in probably 3 years (this upcoming being our 28th anniversary), so I picked one with a nice bit of prose, and took it to the cashier.

NINE DOLLARS!! Plus tax!

It's a piece of thin cardboard with words on it!
I paid $9.50 for my burrito at lunch, just a minute before this.
I could buy a coffee maker for the same price as three greeting cards!

Poll
1. How many cards (birthday/ anniversary/ etc) do you figure that you buy in one year?
10+
2. Am I the only one? Are cards not insanely expensive?!!
Yep. insane. You're preachin' to the choir, buddy.
Really expensive, but it's a necessary evil.
The cost is irrelevant. The message is everything. Don't you love your family?
No, the cost is about where it should be.
      124 answers
Poll created by MABBY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You know that there are lines of cards available for $1, as well as cards available at actual dollar stores...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what your options are in Canada, but here in the states you can buy "lesser" brand cards at the grocery store that run between $1 - $4 and, while not the best, are not bad. But yes, I agree that the cost of cards seems to be quite high these days. The last time I bought a nice card was for a friend's wedding because I know some couples actually will keep those cards. Outside that, I agree that a cheapo card is fine for something that is going to provide someone with memories that they are going to cherish for only a few seconds of their life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Jib Jab for electronic cards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Better that I don't give her a card at all, than a $1 or e-mail anniversary card.
I mean she knows that I'm cheap frugal, but "this event is only worth about a buck to me" isn't the best message that I can give her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Mc Donald
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
With the internet, now more than ever it's not necessary to spend store-prices on greeting cards. Make your own, print one out, use the free blank ones you get from charities you support & personalize it. Plenty of options that don't require store-bought stuff (and the message can be truly personal.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
We send out about 100 Christmas cards out every year. Pricey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple solution:
1)Greeting card software with thousands of cards that can be customized.
2) computer and printer (which most people already have anyway)
3) card stock weight paper (pennies per sheet)

For a small investment you can make all the cards you could ever need/want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with ya. I try to do cheesy gift when I can over a card, more bang for your buck usually.

It helps if you think of the card as art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
On the poll you needed a "there's one born every minute" choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I buy a card I get them at Dollar Tree - they are 2 cards for $1.00 and almost as nice as name-brand cards.

For Christmas, I make cards for my husband, daughter, and father. This year I will make one for my brother-in-law, since we will be visiting him during the holidays.

For work, I am making cards using images from gift wrap glued onto scrapbook cardstock, decorated with jingle bells, and other doo-hickies.

I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices and refuse to get into those holiday card exchanges with friends and family. It's like a contest and accounting. You give me a card, I give you a card. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who spent 40 years running retail Card & Gift shops, Thanks!

However, for the best of both worlds, buy a blank card ($2-3, maybe $4 with special processes or attachments) and write your own sentiment, in your own hand*. Much more romantic.

*even better if you can write in calligraphy, otherwise just use a nice pen

BTW... when I started, at 12yo in Dad's shop 1969, we still had cards for 15 cents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
MWChapel wrote:
We send out about 100 Christmas cards out every year. Pricey.

We do photo cards, but they usually come out to something pretty cheap per card. Certainly not $9.

But, mostly, I just have the kids draw something and use that as the card for any occasion other than the holidays.

I do sometimes buy cards (ideally blank) as souvenirs. As maf man says, it's a reasonable way to get well-printed small art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a very average card yesterday and didn't look at the price until the register. It was $6. I was angry enough to decide that I won't be buying cards again like that. Not because I can't afford it, I can, but I'm not going to enrich those thieves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's things online where you can print your own, which you can make much more personalized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a $9 card is a bad move. Because it tells the person you're giving it to that they're only worth $9.

I think you should buy one of my line of $30,000 greeting cards.

Lined with solid gold, diamonds included, these greeting cards let your loved ones know that they are worth three stacks of high society.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Story time!

When my wife and I first got married, on our 1 month anniversary, I got her a red rose. On our two month, two red roses. Three for three months - yeah, you guys are bright, you get where this is going.

I think it was around 6 that I realized they were cheaper by the dozen, so got her a dozen. My wife stepped in here and brought me back down to earth, pointing out (accurately!) that it's a little silly to be trying that every month. The month after that I got her a ring she had been looking at (not a hugely expensive ring, it actually was about what a dozen roses would have run me) and she liked that.

Anyway, she broke me of the habit of roses, but I've taken to giving her monthly anniversary cards. Just over 10 years now, and I've only missed one (out anniversary is the 25th, and one year Christmas got a little crazy and it was a week later when I realized I had missed the anniversary aspect) though I've been late on 2, I believe.

So, the funny thing? The thing even sappier than me getting these cards? She keeps them. All of them. She has them in a little box and occasionally will read a few of the older ones.

So, while most folks throw away most cards (I do, to be honest) there are a few who don't.

(I do sympathize with the cost of good cards, though!)

Hey, that reminds me, my 153rd month anniversary is coming up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife got MAD at me for buying her cards. "Stop wasting our money I don't want that!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:

Hey, that reminds me, my 153rd month anniversary is coming up...

I find it difficult to find 153rd anniversary cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
If they'd just send you the same card back for your birthday, you could save a lot of money: http://imgur.com/a/dx8c3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.