GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,046 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Games in the Classroom

Subject: Ideas for a lesson on narrative? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 1.AUDIENCE:-School [+] [View All]
Mr. Boardgame
msg tools
I would like to have students create a card game with index cards that would explore narrative threads and emergent stories to simulate what happens through choice when playing video games. Does anyone have a lesson plan idea or link for this?

Also, how do you find your posts on this site? It doesn't make any sense.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a lesson plan for this specific task (although I like the idea, and may borrow it from you!). What you're describing sounds like a lesson on building a Decision Tree...maybe something like this will help?...

https://www.mindtools.com/dectree.html

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~jps7/Lecture%20notes/Lecture%2...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_tree

- - - - - - - - - -

UPDATE: I found something else that might help...

"The Four Steps in Constructing a Decision/Event Tree

"Step 1: Identify the problem.

"Step 2: Identify the major factors/issues (the decisions and events) to be addressed in the analysis.

"Step 3: Identify alternatives for each of these factors/issues.

"Step 4: Construct a tree portraying all important alternative scenarios.

"a. Ensure that the decisions/events at each branch of the tree are mutually exclusive.

"b. Ensure that the decisions/events at each branch are collectively exhaustive."

Source: Morgan D. Jones, The Thinker's Toolkit (rev. ed.; NY: Three Rivers, 1998) 127-28. ISBN 0-8129-2808-3.

- - - - - - - - - -

To your other question, there may be a simpler way to do this, but here is how I find my own posts...
1. On the main page, at the top, go to the pull-down menu next to "SEARCH" and click on "Users"; then enter your User Name in the window, and click "Go";
2. In the Search Results, click on your User Name;
3. In the next window, Click on the "Contributions" tab; then, on the right-hand side under "Threads and Replies," you can click on the number associated with your desired category.
4. In the next window, you should see your posts listed by subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have lesson plans, but, you could let the kids see/play a choose your own adventure style gamebook (some are free on the net), and then give them a stack of index cards to attempt to create their own branching adventure.

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/teachergame/contributions Or, click on your username, then click on the contributions tab. Then, down the right hand side you'll see categories your posts are in, like forum threads or forum replies. Further, when you start a thread you may want to Subscribe to it, which is another link near the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can make 'Choose your own adventure' stories in Google Slides. They then design their slides for the story and they click a decision and it takes them to another slide in the presentation to continue the adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Boardgame
msg tools
I need something for index cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm. I can't imagine what goals/objectives this activity is reaching for. Are you a literature teacher? A Game Design instructor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Boardgame
msg tools
Teaching game design and want students to experience branching and emergent narratives in analog form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that this is the right sort of thing but there is a simple game that is very easily adaptable called Braggart. When a player plays a hand it is basically a story line. In card game terms there are four suits and you are trying to put together a hand with one of each. In story terms you are trying to link heroes, heroic deeds, outcomes etc. Even if you cannot find the game you could easily adapt it for index cards and even invent as many 'suits' as you wanted.

Roj
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Donnelly
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
Hi there,

I'm an educator as well. Most of the choose your own adventures I do are digital, but I found one that may help you with your to find an analog story on the cheap:

https://en.islcollective.com/resources/printables/worksheets...

If you'd like something more in depth, this current Kickstarter project looks pretty amazing and since they have a digital version, it can be delivered in January.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/protagonist-ind/home-by...

Feel free to keep in touch. I'm excited to hear how the adventure turns out.

-Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Please check out my student game design Geeklists! You rock!
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to consider the RPG The Quiet Year. Players create a narrative based on cards, each of which offers two choices, and later choices are affected by previous choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Neuhauser
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
funkdonut wrote:
You might want to consider the RPG The Quiet Year. Players create a narrative based on cards, each of which offers two choices, and later choices are affected by previous choices.

I was thinking about mentioning this too. There is a free "reimagining" of it called The Deep Forest on the site too. http://buriedwithoutceremony.com/the-quiet-year/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wake
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'd also consider using CYOA books, or, for a more game-like experience, one of Jackson and Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy books.

If you're looking for material on this being done in the classroom the only article I've read on the topic is Barbara Sargent's 'Writing "Choose Your own Adventure" stories' which is in The Reading Teacher 45(2) (1991). That article is about middle school students.

Have you considered using something like TWINE with your students? (www.twinery.org)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.