Empires in Arms» Forums » General

Subject: Combat system rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The combat system in Empires in Arms looks really interesting but wondering if it's just rock paper scissors in the end? Do you go through a real decision process depending on your force composition compared to that of your opponent when choosing tactics? Any other game with a similar system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

There's definately an element of rock-paper-scissors. That said, there's much more to it than that. Leader ratings, nationality, relative strength, morale and terrain will also play a big role in your decision.

It's been a very long time since I played EiA but I clearly remember liking most aspects of it, including the combat system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tactics choices take away the pure mathematics of combat system, many war games "way back then" made it so 3-1 odds and there was at best a 1/36 chance of failure, or usually you would succeed just a matter of casualties. I grew up on those games, In came Empires in Arms, and now you don't win so much by pure "killing" of units as by breaking morale, and all sorts of ways to change the morale equation depending on risks you take etc. One of the better simulations of a "battle" of the period that you can finish in 5 to (if agonizing over tactical choices, and reserves etc.) 15 minutes. And you usually only have a handful of these in any given turn (if that many, often it's just one or 2)

IF ever I can get my house built out and settled I plan on reengaging in this and some other "monster" strategic games, like VG's Vietnam or Civil War, and World in Flames (another ADG product and IMO the best simulation game of WWII in global terms) Problem is they take multiple sessions and I don't have a "safe place" to leave them up in between.
Vassal just isn't the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Cairol
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Any other game with a similar system?

Not quite. I don't know any other game with this system. However, 1776 also uses a combat matrix, but in this case it only provides a die roll modifier rather than resolving the whole battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
1805: Sea of Glory has a tactic selection based combat system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments, will check the other games how they handle it. Agree that it's an interesting system
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brastias wrote:

There's definately an element of rock-paper-scissors. That said, there's much more to it than that. Leader ratings, nationality, relative strength, morale and terrain will also play a big role in your decision.

It's been a very long time since I played EiA but I clearly remember liking most aspects of it, including the combat system.

Also, Napoleonic combat was a bit of paper-rock-scissors with infantry fighting in line till one side broke, unless there was cavalry around when they would form square which was a great target for artillery, which could be terrible vs. cavalry and was terrible to defend against infantry (unless the infantry broke before they closed), etc. It went in there ad nauseum. I think the EIA combat choices work pretty well to model this AND they are fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dren608 wrote:
IF ever I can get my house built out and settled I plan on reengaging in this and some other "monster" strategic games, like VG's Vietnam or Civil War, and World in Flames (another ADG product and IMO the best simulation game of WWII in global terms).

Ah! A player with taste in wargames! I've got a VG The Civil War game going now...

Yes, the EiA combat system has a lot to it. Try reading my long set of session reports for the Portland game from 2010 through 2014 to get some of the flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Peterson
United States
Haltom City
Texas
flag msg tools
The best part of EIA is deciding what chit to pull before combat. This can sometimes take a long time, so our group has a two minute time limit for the players to make their decision. The system lets both players roll dice during combat, and that somewhat limits the luck factor. If there's any downside to the system, it's that it only uses 1d6 on the combat resolution chart. But in my opinion, it's one of the best systems out there.

Our group is playing tomorrow! We're exactly halfway thru the 1792 Campaign Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.