Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This next training scenario involves bare bones combat. No Overruns and no Surprise rolls. Also, units are assumed fully fueled for the duration of the Scenario and always have Combat Supply. This particular scenario has two full turns, which means each side has 4 rounds of moving and attacking. Victory conditions for the German player means destroying a whole Russian Division while destroying 3 German units will give the Russians the win.

Germans deploy elements from both the 18th Panzer and 3rd Motorized ID as well as one full Independent ID.

Russians deploy one Cavalry Brigade, one Infantry Division and one Tank Division.

I can set up the Germans within 4 hex’s of the SW exploit marker and the Russians within 5 of theirs in the NE.

I opted to place them adjacent the river, so as to make it more difficult for the Germans as well as getting more use out of the Terrain effects chart. These are Teaching scenario’s after all.

In the Original Rule set, there is a Mode Determination Phase right before the Movement Phase. The player needed to decide which Mode their units were going to be in at the start of the turn, Move or Combat Mode, before they even moved their first unit. During Playtesting, Dean decided it would be acceptable to determine this during the Movement Phase, just as long as players didn’t take advantage of any results from Overruns and/or Hip shoots. For this particular scenario I decided to use the Mode Determination Phase, but only because it has an extremely low counter count.

Leaving the German Pz. Battalion in Reserve as well as its supporting infantry, I moved the German forces into contact. The 53rd Recon advances to the hex adjacent to the Bridge and RR Bridge, which negates the Russian Cavalry’s ZOC so the 2 Motorized units can cross to the other side, so they won’t be hindered with the penalty of attacking across the river.

I considered moving up 18th Pz. Motorcycle Battalion to the other side of the river, but that would make it too easy for the Russian TD to destroy it at 20:1 odds, even with considering the -3DRM. The remaining 18th Pz. Units move half their MP’s, still in Reserve.

Russian Reaction Phase

Seeing an opportunity to kill off its first German unit, the Russian TD comes out of Reserve to attack the 18th Pz. MC Battalion.

Even though attacking across the river reduces the attack factors by half, Armor attacking into clear terrain doubles, so the attack is resolved on the 9:1 Open Terrain column with a -3 DRM. The result is 5 (after the -3 DRM) which is an Aol/DL1o1. First blood to the Russians. The MC unit is destroyed and the Russian TD can ignore its option.

German Combat Phase

The 3rd Motorized Infantry units and the Independent German ID attack the Russian ID in the Woods, making it 11 attack factors to 10 in Close Terrain for 1:1 with +2 DRM, resulting in an AL1o1/Do1. The German ID takes the step loss (it used its AR) and the rest retreat, becoming DG’d in the process for retreating into a ZOC.

Exploit Phase

Attacking the Russian TD with the 18th Pz. Panzer Battalion does not seem like a good idea here, at 1:3 odds even with a +4 DRM, so I move their Infantry Regiment to reinforce them, just in case the Russians want to get froggy.

The DG is removed and this ends the Germans 1st half of Turn 1.

Russian Movement Phase

The Russian Cavalry moves adjacent to the Infantry Division. In hindsight, I should have combined them. The Russians see this as the best chance of eliminating the German Panzer Battalion, so move to engage.

No Reactions available for the Germans

Russian Combat Phase

The Russian TD attacks the 18th Pz. Units at 4:1 odds in the Open with a -4 DRM, resulting in an AL1/Do1. Russian TD takes it first step loss while the Germans retreat.

No Russian Exploit Phase

2nd German half of Turn 1

The German Infantry units switch to their Combat Mode sides in the Mode Determination Phase

German Movement Phase

Switching to Combat Mode allows the Infantry units to travel through Ezoc’s with Leg MP and not have to stop, unlike being mounted in their trucks would. The Independent ID aides the 18th Pz. Units against the Russian TD.

No Russian Reaction available

German Combat Phase

The 3rd Motorized units attack the Russian Cavalry with 2:1 in Close Terrain with a +1 DRM, resulting in an AL1/Do1. Tough bastards! That’s 2 of the 3 units needed for a Russian Victory.
18th Pz and ID attack the Russian TD at 2:1 in the Open with a +4 DRM. A bad roll here could end the game for the Germans, but a 10 is rolled, and with the +4 DRM, the result is Ae4DL1o2. Hmm, I didn’t realize Exploit was allowed in this Scenario until I started writing it up. I could have very possibly destroyed that remaining step of the Russian TD, which is now at half strength and DG’d, so that Exploit, had I caught it during play, would have been 3:1 in the open with a +5 DRM! Missed opportunity.

2nd Russian Half of Turn 1

Mode Determination Phase

All units switch to Move Mode and the Russian ID goes into Reserve.

Russian Movement Phase

The Cavalry and what’s left of the TD retreat to the village, and the Russian ID, still in Reserve, retreats half its MP’s.

No German Reaction available
No Combat Phase

Exploit Phase has the Russian ID come out of Reserve and Retreat further to take up a defensive position in the village.

Clean up Phase removes the Russian TD’s DG.

This ends the first Turn.

Second Turn

German Mode Determination

3rd Motorized switches back to Move Mode and goes into Reserve, as does the Independent ID. The 18th Pz. Units stay in Combat Mode, but also go into Reserve, having nothing to fear from the Russians in this particular instance.

Movement Phase

German units advance in preparation for the Exploitation Phase, where all units can then participate.

No Reaction available for the Russians

No Combat Phase for the Germans

Exploitation Phase

All German units pop their Reserves and move adjacent to their respective targets.

18th Pz. Panzer Battalion attacks the last step remaining to the Russian TD at 2:1 Open with +4 DRM. An 11 results in Ao1/DL1o1. The last step of the Russian Tank Division is destroyed.

The scenario is technically over, but just to see if the Russians can make it a draw by destroying one more German unit, I play on.

The German Infantry units attack the Russian ID at 4:1 Open with a +2 DRM, handing out an Ao1/DL1o1.

No Exploit or Clean Up

Russian 1st half of Turn 2
Mode Determination

Remain Russians switch to Combat Mode

Movement Phase

Being able to get rid of the Panzer Battalion would benefit Mother Russia the most, so the remaining step of the ID and the Cavalry Brigade move to attack it.

No German Reaction

At 3:1 odds in the Open with a -2 DRM, an 11 is needed to destroy the Pz. unit and end the game in a draw. An 8 is rolled, and with a -2 DRM, the result is an AL1/Do1.

Dead Pile

This was a nifty little exercise not only to demonstrate the Basic Combat aspect of OCS, but to also compliment the previous learning scenario with deciding when and which units to put into Combat/Move mode and which ones to put into Reserve. The game itself, I don’t believe, can be “updated” to current rules without totally breaking it, but with some little tinkering, I believe the training scenarios here can be used in any “current” OCS game.

These training scenario’s are quick to set up, quick to play out and then reset and play again (15 minutes or less for the first 3). Each one pertains to individual parts of the rulebook and its mechanics and then builds up your experience as you complete each one. Dean got it right in this first OCS game.

Next up: Surprise and Overruns!
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1670982/training-scenar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Spiering
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Needing to determine mode before starting any moves would melt my brain.

It would be fairly easy to make scenarios like this with more current OCS games. Surprised it has not been done before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiering8 wrote:
Needing to determine mode before starting any moves would melt my brain.

So far, it hasn't been an issue, but the scenario's are quite small. I'm actually getting used to the idea though. We'll see if I continue to use the Mode Determination phase once the Training scenarios are completed.

Just loaded up Training Scenario 3 for approval. Hope to have #4 completed this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Spiering
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Session reports require approval?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiering8 wrote:
Session reports require approval?

Yup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Klyuykov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mb
Jeez, 3-step Soviet Tank Division! More to come, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MoriQuessir wrote:
Jeez, 3-step Soviet Tank Division! More to come, please!

Yup, and even at AR1, rolling in the open is 40 Attack Factors. I'm learning to keep the Panzer Divisions stacked together when these Units are near.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.