Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, I know, …people typically read "user created variant" and move on before the page loads! But please bare with me and risk giving this one a little more consideration than you normally would otherwise.
laugh

7 Wonders Duel is one of my favorite two player games and my personal pick for 2015's best two player game of the year. At it's core, 7WD has a unique drafting system developed by Antoine Bauza & Bruno Cathala that can be easily adapted to fit most existing card games. This is my proposal for an Epic 2-player "Structure Draft".

Rules for Epic Structure Draft (2 players)

Overview
An Epic Structure Draft consists of 3 or more "draft rounds" wherein each player drafts 10 cards from the "structure" in order to build a deck consisting of at least 30 cards.

Creating the draft deck
This format requires a card pool of at least 60 cards (20 cards for every draft round). The card pool is shuffled to create the "draft deck". – (Most players will simply use their entire Epic set to create the draft deck.)

Building Structures
• Each draft round has it's own corresponding layout of cards know as the "structure" from which players will make their draft selections. These structures are built by drawing the top 20 cards of the draft deck and arranging them into the corresponding layouts listed below.

x = face down
o = face up

Round One:

o o
x x x
o o o o
x x x x x
o o o o o o

Round Two:

o o o o o o
x x x x x
o o o o
x x x
o o

Round Three:

o o
x x x
o o o o
x x
o o o o
x x x
o o

• Note that the rows of the structure alternate between face up and face down cards — do not look at the face down cards.

• When building the structure, ensure that the descending rows slightly overlap each other so that only the bottommost row is fully uncovered at the start of the round.

The structure in round one should look something like this.

Flow of the draft
• Randomly determine a player to begin the draft.
• Players take turns drafting one card at a time, keeping all of their draft selections face up in front of them.
• Players may only draft fully uncovered cards — (These are cards which are not overlapped in any way.)
• As players draft and remove cards from the structure, previously restricted cards will become fully uncovered and accessible. If a face down card becomes fully uncovered, reveal it — flipping it face up.
• Once a structure has been entirely drafted, build a new structure using the top 20 cards of the draft deck then begin a new draft round.
• The player who drafts the last card in the previous draft round chooses which player begins the current draft round.
• The player who drafts the last card in the final draft round chooses which player begins the game once players have built their decks.

Optional "enhanced" rules for an Epic Structure Draft
• Players may begin each draft round with an agreed upon amount of "gold". – (For instance: Both players begin each draft round with 2 gold.)

• At anytime during your drafting turn, you may pay one gold to banish an accessible card in the structure and replace it with the top card of the draft deck.

This may be done
1) before your draft selection – (Ex: in hopes of revealing a more useful card.)
– or –
2) after your draft selection – (Ex: to deny your opponent that Flame Strike that just flipped over.)

This is a fun and fast draft format filled with meaningful decisions and a hint of chance. Since the structure is comprised of both face up and face down cards, players begin each round with only half of the available information. Your strategic draft selections will either control your path toward unlocking a desired card or limit your opponent's options during their turn.

I hope someone in the community gives this format a try. Let me know what you think. And let us know if you decide to give it a shot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I broke out my Epic collection, dusted off the cards, started thinking decks again and am ready to give this great game another go. It has been a while.

Once my son and I have spent some time with the cards, I will certainly be giving this format a go. Thanks for posting, and once we have tried it out, I will let you know how it goes.

I really like this draft idea in 7 Wonders: Duel. I may have to pick up a copy, although our collection is jammed with 2 player games we love and hardly get time to play.

What other games would you suggest to play with this draft format?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AJEddy wrote:
Last night I broke out my Epic collection, dusted off the cards, started thinking decks again and am ready to give this great game another go. It has been a while.

Once my son and I have spent some time with the cards, I will certainly be giving this format a go. Thanks for posting, and once we have tried it out, I will let you know how it goes.

That's awesome to hear! Welcome back to Epic. I hope it goes well and that you'll enjoy this format as much as we have. My casual groups have found it to be a really fun draft alternative and something to keep in regular rotation with Dark Draft.

AJEddy wrote:
I really like this draft idea in 7 Wonders: Duel. I may have to pick up a copy, although our collection is jammed with 2 player games we love and hardly get time to play.

c'mon there's always room for one more. Honestly, 7wD is some of the best gaming money I've spent this year. It's a perfect choice for gamer couples or low player count families with age 10+ children.

AJEddy wrote:
What other games would you suggest to play with this draft format?

I recommend using this format with Seasons. And if you haven't played Seasons, I recommend Seasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a really fun way to draft! Thank you for sharing. I'll give it a try this weekend with my Uprising cards that I received yesterday. I'll post my thoughts here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suspence wrote:
This looks like a really fun way to draft! Thank you for sharing. I'll give it a try this weekend with my Uprising cards that I received yesterday. I'll post my thoughts here
My Uprising arrived yesterday too!

Hope you enjoy the format. I'd love to get your thoughts and I'm definitely open to constructive criticism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.