Paul Brown
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hello All,

I have a copy of this sim put out by Avalanche a while ago. It is my first contact with this most excellent system first devised by Brien Miller etal and am finding it a blast even for the small scenarios in NITD as they are really towards the bottom limit of system desgned for Napoleonic ‘big battles’ . As such I have moved from using the rules that came with NITD to the Empires of Eagles rules v3.1 from the Compass Games who are also publishing games based on this system. The v3.1 rules are more comprehensive and detailed than the series ruleset that came with NITD, understandable given the development time since NITD was published, but they are still quite easy to read across directly to the NITD scenarios.
Just thought I would highlight a few areas of difference where I think the more recent rules are an improvement:

1. Command Phase (v3.1 sectn 9). This is now moved AFTER the Activation Phase whereas it was before that phase. This means you don’t really know which of the out-of-command formations can move and fight once activated as they roll for initiative once you’ve committed to activating them. Previously you checked command status of your entire Army first so you knew exactly which formations could/couldnt fight before deciding which to Activate. I think the new way is better and more in line with the Command Control focus of the rules

2. Morale superiority (old rules 13.6) This mechanism is dropped in the v3.1 rules. Again better as the original mechanism gave a double-whammy advantage to high morale troops i.e. +1 on the to-hit die rolls AND extra dice based on the morale difference. I guess you could argue either way but I thought the double whammy was a bit too far.

3. Retreating (v3.1 sectn 14.4) – If the attacker retreats then the defender can now stand in place but still reduce his losses. This and a related rule about the attacker only taking the full loss if he advances prevents the common situation (at least in my solo sessions) where the defender would retreat to avoid losses but then the attacker (normally the energetic French troops) would do the same to reduce his losses ..preferring to take a chance on winning the next Activation to advance into the vacated area. The change means that, for example, the Mameluke troops can see off the assaulting Frenchies but opt to stay in their trench lines and STILL reduce their losses

4. Recovery v3.1 sectn 15.2). The separation distance from enemy units to allow you to recover steps to infantry divisions (the long counters) is reduced from 4 to 2 areas. That makes it easier to rebuild your heavy infantry strength (calling in stragglers, reforming the battalions etc). Again you could argue either way but the change gives more chance to rally and return to the fray...whereas it would normally just be a theoretical possibility due to the length of time and the number of activations it took to retreat 4 hexes, recover with a leader and then return to the line of battle.

Hope all of this is helpful and helps motivate you to try out this Napoleonic battle system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.