$15.00
$20.00
$30.00
$5.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: What I'm afraid of, and how to fix it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I have some hope that Trump is just as disinterested in following through on any promises made to appeal to bigotry as politicians have long been on social issues. What I'm starting to fear isn't that he'd be nice to Russia, but that he'd adopt their leadership ethos, which is often described as "kleptocracy". His unwillingness to release his tax returns looked like a campaign strategy, but now I fear it also means we'll never be in a position to know how much he made from his time in office.

A simple step to defuse some of that concern would be a law requiring the IRS to release the tax returns of high federal officials (I'm thinking congressional representatives, President/VP/cabinet members, SCOTUS justices, and their immediate family, but I'm flexible). That's as subject to gaming as taxes, but it seems like it would be a positive step.

Thoughts?
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
I have some hope that Trump is just as disinterested in following through on any promises made to appeal to bigotry as politicians have long been on social issues. What I'm starting to fear isn't that he'd be nice to Russia, but that he'd adopt their leadership ethos, which is often described as "kleptocracy". His unwillingness to release his tax returns looked like a campaign strategy, but now I fear it also means we'll never be in a position to know how much he made from his time in office.

A simple step to defuse some of that concern would be a law requiring the IRS to release the tax returns of high federal officials (I'm thinking congressional representatives, President/VP/cabinet members, SCOTUS justices, and their immediate family, but I'm flexible). That's as subject to gaming as taxes, but it seems like it would be a positive step.

Thoughts?


Getting corrupt politicians to vote to an end to their own corruption while exposing it seems, ah, difficult.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It won't happen and this election may be the end of revealing your tax returns. Now there is precedent of not revealing them and winning.

I think President-elect Trump will plunder the government for at least a billion dollars for himself and his family. A leopard doesn't change its spots. Many U.S. events will be held at Scion businesses and the Scion businesses will charge inflated rates.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I wonder whether this is the sort of thing Obama could do by executive order. While it would then be in the power of President Trump to countermand it, doing so might seriously tarnish his anti-corruption credibility.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't feel Mr. Trump has any credibility yet. He destroyed any possible credibility at least a half dozen times during his election run.

He's going to have to rebuild it from zero.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump's already announcing plans for his kids to run his business dealings, instead of doing what every modern president has done and put it into a true blind trust.

The scope for corruption is immense. Trump already ran his presidential campaign as a profit-making enterprise. He's demonstrated corruption at every level before. No reason not to expect it to continue.
13 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Trump's already announcing plans for his kids to run his business dealings, instead of doing what every modern president has done and put it into a true blind trust.

The scope for corruption is immense. Trump already ran his presidential campaign as a profit-making enterprise. He's demonstrated corruption at every level before. No reason not to expect it to continue.


Right, but I think this is exactly the sort of issue on which Trump's supporters would be easy to get on board with those of us who'd like to see him a bit more constrained. Even the deplorable element seemed excited by the anti-corruption stuff.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Trump's already announcing plans for his kids to run his business dealings, instead of doing what every modern president has done and put it into a true blind trust.

The scope for corruption is immense. Trump already ran his presidential campaign as a profit-making enterprise. He's demonstrated corruption at every level before. No reason not to expect it to continue.


Right, but I think this is exactly the sort of issue on which Trump's supporters would be easy to get on board with those of us who'd like to see him a bit more constrained. Even the deplorable element seemed excited by the anti-corruption stuff.


This assumes the media reports it. Probably won't be a main topic for Breitbart or Fox.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fox news anchors completely lost their composure the other day. They were interviewing some trump guy and after that guy left, in the middle of reading the next story one of the anchors cut in and started talking about how awesome that last guest was and the other anchor dropped the story completely and just started gushing as well.

It was a new low for fox news. Something I might expect from hannity.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Right, but I think this is exactly the sort of issue on which Trump's supporters would be easy to get on board with those of us who'd like to see him a bit more constrained.


because people within a cult of personality are known for their rationality about said personality, of course

look here's a sneak preview of the conversation in question

"I think there should be a law that major public officials should have to release their tax returns"
"you're just trying to attack President Trump!"
"but this would apply to Democrats too"
"they'd just ignore it because they're corrupt unlike President Trump!"

basically, just always assume any conversation of this sort is with a version of Drew who's publicly pro-Trump instead of embarrassedly pro-Trump as a barometer for how far you will get
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
The fox news anchors completely lost their composure the other day. They were interviewing some trump guy and after that guy left, in the middle of reading the next story one of the anchors cut in and started talking about how awesome that last guest was and the other anchor dropped the story completely and just started gushing as well.

It was a new low for fox news. Something I might expect from hannity.


well, Trump TV isn't a thing now, so they've got their marching orders

remember:

good

little

soldiers
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:

Thoughts?


I think people are using their irrational fears to justify their views.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Sarxis wrote:
rinelk wrote:

Thoughts?


I think people are using their irrational fears to justify their views.


This particular fear seems to me grounded in his unusual behavior during the primaries. His refusal to release his tax returns, consistently using his campaign as an advertisement for his properties, jacking up the rates charged by those properties once he wasn't footing the bill, and his inability to put his assets in a blind trust all call his ability to resist financial conflicts of interest into question. Consider this: lots of people think Clinton was illegitimately profiteering off her time as Secretary of State, but all of these were a bridge too far for her.

But I grant your larger point that those who selected media which conformed to their pre-existing views have seen an emphasis on Trump's worst moments and qualities, and so have a biased view of him. But, just as a check on how wrong they are, it helps to talk to some people whose families can't all pass for the same race. In less than a week, I've already heard some stuff I find very troubling. Do you have a few such families in your life who are close enough that you would know if their treatment had changed since Trump's election?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Trump's already announcing plans for his kids to run his business dealings, instead of doing what every modern president has done and put it into a true blind trust.

The scope for corruption is immense. Trump already ran his presidential campaign as a profit-making enterprise. He's demonstrated corruption at every level before. No reason not to expect it to continue.


I thought Hillary was the corrupt one?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This strikes me as very likely, I agree entirely. The fact that he thinks a Blind Trust means letting his family run his business, while also serving as part of his presidential transition team, is a good sign that he's still in it to make money at the expense of everyone else -- the racist rhetoric was just instrumental, but his goal has always been money.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.