Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Grognards,

I will be running a game of the 1809 campaign with friends and wondered how folks were resolving battles? (This will be a PBEM game with me resolving combats.) What system in Vol. III or in The Eagle Fights (or taken from a completely different game) did you use and how well did it work or fit with the campaign system?

Cheers,
/Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pablo Ramirez Flores
msg tools
Hello good evening mon General.

I had played two times and by Umpire one.

I had used all the battle game system of Le Vol de L,Aigle III

* 1º one it is soo easy but for the empire it is the fastest.
* 2º it is medium but for the one who wanted more simulation its not satisfactory.
* 3º hour by hour with a lot interactive is the dreadfull of the umpire with a lot of gamers (I used it to Waterloo 1815)

Nowdays we are locking for more simulation (www.arsbellica.net) its my web there do you have the After Action Report.

Didier have a miniature simulation Le Combat de le Aigle wich one its better for the most exigent umpire and gamers.

The problem for our crazy point of view its that it could slow the game.
We are checking with other miniatures games (Lasalle, Maurice, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Rouy
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Bob,

It mostly depends if you plan on solving the battles via email or face to face. The three systems included in the Volume 3 are good in face to face, with increasing degrees of historicity, but they can be tricky PBEM as the interactions between sides are constant.

Face to face you can also use figures (we played with Age of Eagles among other systems) or whatever tactical system you want, including the Eagle Fights.

PBEM I would say the simpler the better, if you don't want the battles to take weeks to solve. So the basic system might be better. I also understand it can be frustrating for the players as the number of decisions during the battle is limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, y'all!

I was thinking of "simpler is better" so not to take too much time sending messages back & forth (PBEM after all) between me (as Umpire) and the involved players - while everyone else waits... That would also place the emphasis in the game on strategic maneuver and bringing force to bear, I think.

Cheers,
/Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.