Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the purpose of the Honaire loot? It's not given out in either the base set or adventure one, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the Estra character card list, she automatically gets Honaire as one of her starting cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't looked over the MM rules, but shouldn't Honaire be classified a Cohort instead of Loot? Loot is handed out as a reward for completing scenarios, and Honaire is definitely not "loot", despite Estra's background as a con-artist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
No, because the Cohort rules don't apply to him. Particularly, if he were to get banished, which I've seen happen, he is not lost forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek
Poland
Chorzów
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this was a deliberate decision by Paizo. As a cohort he'd be stuck with Estra the whole game, and could be banished, which would make the character useless as Balazar if he'd lose his cohort.

As loot, this card can be equipped by almost any character and can then be passed on to another character during play or between scenarios.

-K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also means he's classified as an Ally where Cohorts aren't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. LOOT is the *wrong* word based on the framework Lone Shark/Paizo set up.

I guess I'll post something in the Paizo forums and see what they say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Loot is PERFECT. If Honaire was a regular ally then any schmo could acquire him. That would be bonzo broken. Instead, by slapping Loot on there, only specific things can award him to a player. IE ownership. Have you seen Estra's stats? She has a d4 on everything he can help with. On anyone else, he'd be bonkers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I started up a thread on Paizo's forums.

This is confusion over how Loot cards behave in regards to deck construction:

Quote:
Your deck must end up meeting the Cards List requirements on your character card. Loot cards count as cards of their type. For example, if your character’s Cards List specifies 3 items, and you keep 1 loot card with the item type when you rebuild your deck, your deck must contain exactly 2 other items.

Loot cards would still have to be "earned" either as a scenario reward or granted via a character card. There are still some cases where "some schmo" could acquire Honaire.

1.) The rules allow a hero to give a card to another hero on their turn. Honaire is a card, so this is allowed unless Honaire's card says otherwise.

This is a minor nit-pick though, because Estra would reacquire the card at the end of the scenario when building her deck, and this tactic would have to be repeated every scenario.

2.) There is still the problem with character death. All the characters cards remain to be picked over if Estra dies.

Quote:
The other characters may use the dead character’s cards when they rebuild their decks after the scenario; any cards they don’t keep are then returned to the box.

The best time to do this would be at the start of the campaign - Estra simply discards her cards every turn until she dies (can't draw her hand size). and the other heroes take a knee and let the Blessing Deck run out. The survivors can pick up Honaire and add it to their decks provided the replacement character isn't Estra. The condition of earning the card was already met when she joined the party - it entered play because of a character card and is then treated like an ally.

You can't do that with a Cohort because cohorts require a specific condition to be in play, and since decks don't have a "cohort" section, you couldn't add it.

Conceptually, I understand "loot" is desirable as a consistent word because every type of card could be covered. Sure Honaire is a cohort/ally, but what if later something like Valeros' Tankard or Seelah's Helmet became "loot"? If the word was "cohort" it wouldn't fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would think that the Honaire card is intended to stay with Estra. I don't have the card so I can do more that suppose, but it's essentially her Cohort. I would think that if you want to find some loop hole and give it to another character, that's what you will do, but I don't think that's what is intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
jhochges wrote:
I would think that the Honaire card is intended to stay with Estra. I don't have the card so I can do more that suppose, but it's essentially her Cohort. I would think that if you want to find some loop hole and give it to another character, that's what you will do, but I don't think that's what is intended.

It depends on much you want to stick to the theme and original source material. If theme isn't critical, then after you start the game, who Honaire accompanies is up to you.

But mechanically, there are differences between loot and cohorts, and it only makes sense to be attentive to those differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's the whole problem, which is why I brought it to Paizo's / Lone Shark's attention. There are unintended side-effects to expanding the classification of "loot" to include character-specific starting cards. Lone Shark should have used a different word, and the fact that they dropped cohorts means they thought about the problem, but didn't thoroughly vet the solution - unless the intention was to allow starting loot cards to be stolen, in which case well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Wait. 'Stolen'?

I assume you mean given away / redistributed. How does one steal a card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Besides, wasn't this kind of covered with some of the loot cards in Wrath that showed up in adventure 3? That was loot that had an owner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.