BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Advice moving into heavier games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Basler
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I have just under 20 games in my library. I really like solo games and have a lot of co-op games also. Whenever I talk about solo games on this site someone always brings up Mage Knight. It sound amazing. I really want to jump in and do this.

I really have stayed mostly in middle range of difficulty and I know Mage Knight is a really heavy game. Robinson Crusoe is on my list too and I know that also in a pretty heavy game.

I guess my main question is this, when jumping into a game well beyond your comfort zone do you have any advice? Things to look out for? Maybe suggest resources to look into. It intimidating looking at that difficulty rating and feel comfortable clicking that buy button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't over-think it. Just try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
cloudsurfer45 wrote:
I guess my main question is this, when jumping into a game well beyond your comfort zone do you have any advice? Things to look out for? Maybe suggest resources to look into.

Ideally to learn a game, I read the rules, watch a rules overview, then read the rules again. For heavy games, there are also usually helpful player aids in the Files section in the games database.

Quote:
It intimidating looking at that difficulty rating and feel comfortable clicking that buy button.

Have you read the actual rules yet? If you suspect the weight will be too much for you, DEFINITELY do this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For mage knight look up ricky royal and his youtube playthroughs.

For any game in general, set it up and go through rulebook. Since it is solo you can go at your own pace and restart if any huge rule errors are discovered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be afraid. Plenty others are enjoying these games, so you can do it, too.

I would probably recommend going with Robinson Crusoe over Mage Knight as a first stop, simply because it is a bit easier to get into, especially with the new edition having made things a bit clearer in the rulebook.

Both are superb games, though. Among the best out there.

When you play solo, and are still learning, take your time. You won't get everything right on the first try, surely, but you will improve.

There are plenty videos around, where you can see how the games work.

And, finally, when you have questions, do not hesitate to ask in the according game forums. There are always nice people around who will help out, rest assured. Best to first search in the Rules part of the game forums for a bit before asking, chances are good, that someone else has asked the question before.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
Don't get something based on perceptions about accessibility. Read about the games you are interested in, watch videos, read some the rules... pick the one that seems most interesting to you. If it happens to be the most complex one.. so what. It might take a little longer but that could be half the fun. Especially solo where there's no pressure of time or other people's expectations.

i think too much stock is put in the gateway gradations. Jump in I say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Destrio wrote:
For mage knight look up ricky royal and his youtube playthroughs.

Ricky has also done a Robinson Crusoe playthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice.
1) You will need to play it more often to learn the rules.
2) Write yourself a Quick Refrence Sheet. It helps you to learm the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Melrose
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cloudsurfer45 wrote:
I have just under 20 games in my library. I really like solo games and have a lot of co-op games also. Whenever I talk about solo games on this site someone always brings up Mage Knight. It sound amazing. I really want to jump in and do this.

I really have stayed mostly in middle range of difficulty and I know Mage Knight is a really heavy game. Robinson Crusoe is on my list too and I know that also in a pretty heavy game.

I guess my main question is this, when jumping into a game well beyond your comfort zone do you have any advice? Things to look out for? Maybe suggest resources to look into. It intimidating looking at that difficulty rating and feel comfortable clicking that buy button.

For me, the overbearing desire to learn Mage Knight is what helped me persevere. Similarly with Robinson Crusoe. Both really delivered thankfully. I've probably read around 200 rule books now so I don't find them nearly as confusing as I used to. I recommend just diving in with the caveat that it may take some time (maybe even five plays and a couple times through the book) to get comfortable with the game

Robinson Crusoe really isn't that complex. It's just different and has a good amount of stuff going on. The gameplay is pretty smooth once you get going. I'd highly recommend a cheatsheet

Mage Knight is a bit more complex and the rulebook is not as well written. It has the advantage of having a tutorial walk you through the game to get your feet wet. Overall it's still a bit of a beast for me even now but that's mostly because it's long
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.