Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Hymowitz
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this with three friends yesterday. All three of them were convinced that the proper way to score this game included the fact that two people cannot have the same score. If scoring point(s) would have landed me on another player's score, then I would get more points until I have my own unique score.

I could not find any indication that this is true, but I was outvoted 3-1.

Were they correct, or was I?

--hymie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Were they confusing "in-game" scoring with the start?

At the start of the game player #1 starts at 0, player #2 starts at 1, etc. This staggering is to offset the advantage if going earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure they are completely wrong.

(Do they play much of Urland or Primordial Soup???)

However - It does sound like an interesting way to play. Might be worth a try .....

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bleasdale
United Kingdom
Windsor
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
hymie wrote:
I played this with three friends yesterday. All three of them were convinced that the proper way to score this game included the fact that two people cannot have the same score.

Were they correct, or was I?

You were correct - players can have the same score. However, as that method of scoring was never considered during the design of On the Underground, I'd be fascinated to hear how your game went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hymowitz
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebastian Bleasdale wrote:
I'd be fascinated to hear how your game went.

Going completely from memory...

The first thing I remember is that I went first and I got crushed.

The eight green tourist attractions were lined up in such a way to create four very short very easy connections. But there wasn't much competition for them. On the other hand, there seemed to be a lot of competition for the blue British Rail spaces as well as for "stealing" passenger routes, particularly during the early game when one "point" was worth as much as four points.

The three-point tourist connections came into play later in the game when the scores weren't so close to each other. You could say that the points themselves weren't as important as the timing of scoring.

There also seemed to be a lot of competition for the center city, and not much track played in the outskirts. From what I recall, the only terminal station that was played was the last player's last turn. But the double and triple tracks around the center city were jam packed.

There also wasn't a lot of branching. I did not collect nor play a single branch token through the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls