Subject: 1 or 2 handed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Little
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I played two handed to be able to utilize the "coop" elements (helping at same location, etc) and also in case I lost an investigator. However I am going to be trying single handed shortly.

What are your preferences and the pros and cons you have experienced with them? Asking for experience rather than supposition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused, are you saying you are playing 2 investigators by yourself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
mb
That is 2 handed, yes.

True solo for me all the way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha, I learned a thing today

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case, I've played it both one and two handed. Two handed helped out quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Little
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Fyxsius wrote:
I'm confused, are you saying you are playing 2 investigators by yourself?

Yeah it's a pretty common way to "solo" games that aren't normally or feasibly soloable. For example, Pathfinder ACG, Warhammer Quest ACG, LoTR LCG, Pandemic, etc etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iggy
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, my honest opinion is that until new packs are released, right now it is better to play two handed. Reason: the cards right now are reasonably weak and they take advantage of a few strengths instead of an all around deck. With two hands you patch the other investigator's weaknesses.
If LOTRLCG is anything to base my predictions, after the first deluxe pack and 2-3 packs it will be more viable to play one handed. Right now it's only feasible if you want a challenge or you want to experience new ways to play after beating the campaign... which will be rather soon anyways.

Source: 4 games played, 1 core
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing true solo so far but my normal mode of play is to play two handed. You see more of the cards and combos that way and it's by far my preferred way to play LotR as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I've played a couple sessions 2-handed and a whoooole heap of 1 investigator (20 or so, though mainly just single plays of scenario 1). The biggest difference I noted between the two was that I immediately felt better able to manage instances of poor luck when playing 2-handed. The extra rules regarding how multiple investigators can interact with each other provide a broad suite of tools you can use to mitigate that failed essential skill check or the Worst Possible encounter card you drew. A great example is how in a 2-handed game you have an extra option for removing an enemy from your threat area: you can have the other investigator go before you and have them engage the thing over to their side of the table. My experience with true solo play is, let's say, 'spiky'. When the Bad Stuff gets drawn (be it encounter card or chaos token), by and large you're going to feel that ill luck. And a sequence of ill luck following ill luck can be devastating.

All that said, I'm having a great time with both. 1-hand feels like it swings more toward "Let me try my best", where 2-hand feels like it swings in a "How do we control this?" direction of gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer 1 handed on Easy difficulty to experience the wide variety of ways the campaign plays out using each investigator. But then I'm more interested in the RPG-like story experience than "winning" the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every other co-op game I have, including Arkham Horror (board game) and Mansions, when I play solo, I play with multiple investigators, because I think they work better that way. After a handful of games with the LCG, both two-handed and true solo, I think both options work equally well.

Some characters are better suited to true solo, But, as stated above, it's a storytelling game, so even when your solo characters "fail", it's not an obvious defeat in all cases. It's just a different telling of the tale.

It's a fantastic system. I have a couple of different groups to play the game with, and also plan on playing it solo, both true solo and with a host of different character combos. I love the fact that it will be satisfying in all those combinations. As with any story-telling game, it's what you make of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also mention that there are going to be cards that only work with more than one investigator. By playing two handed you get to actually play these cards instead of keeping them relegated to the binder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
SirRoke wrote:
I prefer 1 handed on Easy difficulty to experience the wide variety of ways the campaign plays out using each investigator. But then I'm more interested in the RPG-like story experience than "winning" the game.

is it possible to solo the three scenarios with daisy? (I mean without losing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:
is it possible to solo the three scenarios with daisy? (I mean without losing)

I've soloed the core campaign with Daisy, but I guess I'd have to say I've not "won".

But honestly, I don't really care about "winning" this game. I just enjoy seeing how each investigator does and "writing" my own story through game play.

Now that you've made me think about it, I may have to try it again with the focus on winning the campaign. But honestly, I think I have more fun playing without that focus.

My son gave me a quote about role playing games I really like: Remembering stories of OMG moments is "winning". He has a power group of RPG players who just constantly argue about the rules and combat because to them they want to "win" by killing all the bad stuff. That's fine, but my son (and I) are more interested in the stories that unfold in true role playing.

That's why decades later I can quote specific encounter moments during our original RPGs in the 70s and 80s. I could tell you who the players were, the character names, and even quote dialogue. But I certainly couldn't tell you who "won" any of the hundreds of board games we played, outside of a few exciting stories, that mostly occurred during tournaments.

There are many ways to approach AHLCG, which is one of its strengths. You can treat it as a power LCG deck builder and tweak things in order to "win". You can adjust the difficulty, play standalone scenarios repeatedly. You can play it solo or cooperatively with up to 4 players. You can play it for the campaign experience and the unfolding drama whether you "win" or "lose".

I'm not trying to tell people how they should play and enjoy the game. I'm just trying to explain why I don't really remember the details of the wins/losses for this game in my several dozen plays. However I can tell you a couple of very cool stories!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's possible to "win" with any of the investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.