Subject: Terraforming Mars HELP PLZ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matthew kitchens
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys/gals! Recent member and first time poster. Very glad to be apart of this amazing community! I searched for help and watched the videos and thought, " BGG is the best place for me to get some answers I am having with the game!"

I finally got my wife to play with me last night and she loved it. She doesn't usually like longer games but she really enjoys this one, as do I. I have a few questions about some of the rules and gameplay...

So last night when we played (2 players), by the end of the game, we had all of the gold, silver, and bronze dispersed between the two of us and we couldn't even complete our last production phase. For some reason that just seemed wrong to me. I feel like we are missing something there? After our actions, we would go to the production phase and would award ourselves the resources that were marked by our player cubes on the production track.

We also took only 1 to 2 turns, as the rule book says... is that how it goes with 2 players? I know the solo variant you take as many actions as you want/can, it's just that we had so many resources and MegaCredits at the end, all the pieces were

Are the only reasons for titanium and steel is to use them to buy their corresponding cards and to fund the awards?

Thanks in advance for the help. We really enjoy this game. I have only played it twice and I'm sure a lot of the error is coming from my lack of knowledge but the solo play was awesome and is kind of a different game, which I think is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Victoria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably the wrong forums for your question.

Not in a "get off my lawn" way, mind you, but as this is the most general of forums, a number of the people here may not have played terraforming mars and thus cannot help you.

If you do a Board Game search for terraforming mars, you can find the forums dedicated to that game, and then ask in the General or Rules subforums there. Try that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Right.

This belongs in a rules forum for Terraforming Mars. That's because you played the rule wrong as to what a generation is.

Both players keep taking turns taking actions (mostly playing cards) until both have passed. On your turn you can take 0, 1, or 2 actions: only if you take 0 actions are you considered to have passed and dropped out. The generation ends when both players have done that and then you get your income and other production. Generally you have something good to on your turn for 4 or 5 rounds per generation.

Pretty sure you took income after each time both players had a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are supposed to alternate taking one or two actions as many times as you want each turn, not just one or two actions each turn. Keep taking actions until you both pass, and THEN go on to end of turn/next turn.

I also recommend the rules forum on the game's page. This game has many concepts and the rule book often uses terms loosely (like "turn","city", or "corporate").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Jones
United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
Right.

This belongs in a rules forum for Terraforming Mars. That's because you played the rule wrong as to what a generation is.

Both players keep taking turns taking actions (mostly playing cards) until both have passed. On your turn you can take 0, 1, or 2 actions: only if you take 0 actions are you considered to have passed and dropped out. The generation ends when both players have done that and then you get your income and other production. Generally you have something good to on your turn for 4 or 5 rounds per generation.

Pretty sure you took income after each time both players had a turn.

This. Seems to be a common error for first time plays. Did it myself!

1 or 2 actions per turn. Players keep taking turns until everyone passes. Then the generation ends and you collect money, resources etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry, we are making the rules more clear in the next print.

The number of actions per generation is unlimited! The only limitation is that can only do 1-2 actions at a time before it is the next players turn. So you go around and around the table doing 1-2 actions until you don't want to do more actions, and then you pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew kitchens
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew kitchens
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EagleEye80 wrote:
Sorry, we are making the rules more clear in the next print.

The number of actions per generation is unlimited! The only limitation is that can only do 1-2 actions at a time before it is the next players turn. So you go around and around the table doing 1-2 actions until you don't want to do more actions, and then you pass.

No, the games is amazing, I'm just glad to own it. Thanks! and it makes a ton of sense now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.