Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are as upset as I am over the outlook for abortion, less upset over the healthcare, as upset over the blatant racist aspects of the election, and surprisingly much more upset about Pence.

Two couples have split up. One direct friend and one friend of a friend. That seems high. Basically the men were gloating assholes and one woman wanted female president and the other has strong abortion positions. Perhaps the men should have kept their mouths shut for a few months. One of the guys still seems clueless to how and why things went south so fast when things were fine sunday.

I feel a little better now after talking but I'm not looking forward to the drive to BGGCon alone on the road. As it is I'm running a full day late at this point. It was good to talk it out with friends instead of being silo'd.

I cautioned my arch conservative friends that I was really low on self composure and really upset right now so they should cool it for a while. I respect their votes rationally, but emotionally it wouldn't take much to end friendships going back 35 years. It's a hazard of living in a bible belt conservative state always but it's worse right now and it's embarrassing to lose emotional self control. I may need to stay away from heavy games at the con. Probably not thinking straight and carrying an emotional powderkeg around with me.

I feel so embarrassed that Trump was elected even tho I did what I could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should wear this shirt to BGGcon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People get really upset that perhaps there won't be as many partial birth abortions as possible in some states? Different world man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Came not to bring peace BUT A SWORD!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll do what I can to help you out, man, and by that I of course mean that the first drink is on me.

I'm going there with my wife and some fellow bay area out-of-touch rich liberal folks with lots of education. We'll be happy to play some light games and talk some shit with you.

Speaking of...

ironcates wrote:

Oh dude, are you gonna wear your Klan robe, or should we just identify you by your cheap WalMart workout shorts and the snap brim fedora?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Grow up.

Something something big boy pants

The post is for people here I might care about.

So thanks but I don't really care what you think. I don't care if you live or die or are someone's sock puppet.

At least ironcates made a lame joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
People get really upset that perhaps there won't be as many partial birth abortions as possible in some states? Different world man.

No, regarding your particular issue, they (and I) are upset that abortions going to be illegal or effectively illegal and millions of women will be denied access to birth control and probably any kind of medical care involving birth control. That young women will start dying because of this election. And some of them will probably go to prison. That doctors working for the catholic church and those with hidden religious agendas will trick and delay even more women past the 20 week mark than do now- even when they know the women are prone to preclampsia.

Clear enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Laughter is the best medicine. I try. I do hope you feel better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:
I'll do what I can to help you out, man, and by that I of course mean that the first drink is on me.

I'm going there with my wife and some fellow bay area out-of-touch rich liberal folks with lots of education. We'll be happy to play some light games and talk some shit with you.

Speaking of...

I think I would like that. I'm not drinking right now. I've never had alcohol when I was in a bad mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
Came not to bring peace BUT A SWORD!!

well at least we still have our thoughtful conservative posters

A sword cuts and divides - so what I said was accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, this could be a serious problem for one of my dnd games. I have 4 arch conservatives in it. Not just mild conservatives. And an arch liberal. So I put out the word tonight that I wasn't handling this well so if they want to discuss politics let me know and I'll stop the game and leave the house for a walk.

We've been playing for over 20 years. A lot of history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
ironcates wrote:

No, regarding your particular issue, they (and I) are upset that abortions going to be illegal or effectively illegal and millions of women will be denied access to birth control and probably any kind of medical care involving birth control. That young women will start dying because of this election. And some of them will probably go to prison. That doctors will trick and delay even more women past the 20 week mark than do now.

Clear enough?
Highly doubtful. Even if Roe was overturned Donald was clear that it's up to the states. California and New York will have plenty of abortions on demand. Those that really want an abortion will be able to get one. Angry liberals will donate the money to get around the clock buses to guarantee more fetuses are eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Grow up.

Something something big boy pants

The post is for people here I might care about.

So thanks but I don't really care what you think. I don't care if you live or die or are someone's sock puppet.

Geekmail 'em.

I'll comment as I see fit. And if your opinion on humor is wanted, you will be asked.

What's your price to leave RSP?

I got half a can of soda and $1 off on a Whopper. I might throw in big boy pants.

Gosh Koldfoot. I guess I'll comment as I see fit too! It's amazing this newfangled interweb tubes stuff.

I'd probably leave RSP for $273,017.12 dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaSokpupet wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
ironcates wrote:

No, regarding your particular issue, they (and I) are upset that abortions going to be illegal or effectively illegal and millions of women will be denied access to birth control and probably any kind of medical care involving birth control. That young women will start dying because of this election. And some of them will probably go to prison. That doctors working for the catholic church and those with hidden religious agendas will trick and delay even more women past the 20 week mark than do now- even when they know the women are prone to preclampsia.

Clear enough?
Partial birth abortion is less than 3% of all abortions performed. So really only about 30,000 fewer babies will have their legs outside the birth canal as their skulls are punctured by a needle and the brains sucked out, aftwards their skulls are crushed with forceps and removed from the mother. Not really that many lives.

First.. "partial birth abortions" have been illegal since 2003.

Almost all late term abortions are of babies who are already dying, will die on birth, or are killing the mother. Late term abortions are expensive ($10,000) and only 4 doctors in the U.S perform them so there is travel expense on top of that. Most late term abortions are for wanted babies. It's a horrific choice to save the mother from dying from preclampsia, septicaemia, or other complications.

And ... What about her?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/nov/14/ireland-woman-...

Quote:
Savita Halappanavar, who was 17 weeks pregnant, died of septicaemia a week after presenting with back pain on 21 October at University hospital in Galway, where she was found to be miscarrying.

After the 31-year-old dentist was told that she was miscarrying, her husband reportedly said that she had asked for a medical termination a number of times over a three day period, during which she was in severe pain.

But he said these requests were denied because a foetal heartbeat was still present and they were told at one point: "This is a Catholic country."

Medical staff removed the dead foetus days later after the heartbeat stopped but Halappanavar died of septicaemia on 28 October.

Edge cases like this are already starting to occur in the U.S. at catholic hospitals. Women haven't started dying yet but that's just luck and in one case the bravery of a nun who was subsequently excommunicated. It's Evil man. Flat out evil.

People conflating early abortions and late term abortions is misleading and is going to lead to young women dying and/or being imprisoned and/or forced to carry babies to term (as in strapped down to prevent them from harming themselves or the baby) by the state.

A much more religious and much more conservative nation ruled abortion should be legal in part because of how bad things were back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
ironcates wrote:

No, regarding your particular issue, they (and I) are upset that abortions going to be illegal or effectively illegal and millions of women will be denied access to birth control and probably any kind of medical care involving birth control. That young women will start dying because of this election. And some of them will probably go to prison. That doctors will trick and delay even more women past the 20 week mark than do now.

Clear enough?
Highly doubtful. Even if Roe was overturned Donald was clear that it's up to the states. California and New York will have plenty of abortions on demand. Those that really want an abortion will be able to get one. Angry liberals will donate the money to get around the clock buses to guarantee more fetuses are eliminated.

Donald isn't going to have a say in the matter. It's the supreme court that will have a say in the matter 6-3 for the rest of my life.

I'll give you "doubtful" tho- perhaps all the liberal justices will live and serve until 2020. But two of the type of candidates he's proposed and it's a done deal unless an existing justice flips from conservative to liberal on the issue.

Anyway, that's how my female friends felt and it's how I felt before talking to them. So it's how I feel now. And it feels awful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
red black wrote:
invest in the process not the outcome.

hillary did invest in the process - lots of money. Heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
They are as upset as I am over the outlook for abortion, less upset over the healthcare, as upset over the blatant racist aspects of the election, and surprisingly much more upset about Pence.

Two couples have split up. One direct friend and one friend of a friend. That seems high. Basically the men were gloating assholes and one woman wanted female president and the other has strong abortion positions. Perhaps the men should have kept their mouths shut for a few months. One of the guys still seems clueless to how and why things went south so fast when things were fine sunday.

I feel a little better now after talking but I'm not looking forward to the drive to BGGCon alone on the road. As it is I'm running a full day late at this point. It was good to talk it out with friends instead of being silo'd.

I cautioned my arch conservative friends that I was really low on self composure and really upset right now so they should cool it for a while. I respect their votes rationally, but emotionally it wouldn't take much to end friendships going back 35 years. It's a hazard of living in a bible belt conservative state always but it's worse right now and it's embarrassing to lose emotional self control. I may need to stay away from heavy games at the con. Probably not thinking straight and carrying an emotional powderkeg around with me.

Dude you got to chill out. The world is not going to end and it is stupid to break up a relationship or 30 year friendship over a single election. Just fight harder for the next election if you feel so strongly.

Or you know, just remain super emotional and triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaSokpupet wrote:
So trigger warnings are a reminder to people that they can leave if they want to and that doesn't make them an bad person. Kind of like the umoderated notice pinned at the top of RSP.

What is wrong with people who have been traumatized that they don't already know this and need a reminder?

Psychological problems are by definition, irrational.

Once a person gets caught in their pathology, it is difficult to get out.

Thus, a person with these issues has to act before they are overcome with irrational behavior, therefore trigger warnings.

Not sure if this helps you but I'm glad you don't have any debilitating mental issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Dude you got to chill out. The world is not going to end and it is stupid to break up a relationship or 30 year friendship over a single election. Just fight harder for the next election if you feel so strongly.

This is about more than a single election. Its about the way people who "aren't the right sort" will be treated over the coming years. Its about religious prejudice and misogyny. The fight does not start in the next election, it started the day after this one.

Sorry if folks are super emotional about what happens to fellow citizens in this new world. Much easier to ignore the bigotry that does not affect you I'm sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry you are having a reaction this strong to anything happening in Washington.

I can't imagine losing a friend over an election outcome. Although, now I am wondering about my game day today, we will have most stripes represented and often have interesting political discussions. Have to hope that all can still remember we're friends with different views rather than enemies (off the board we're currently playing).

If I were more organized, I'd bookmark your concerns, though. I think you're vastly overestimating Trump's (or indeed most President's) political power and in his case passion to change the stuff about which you are concerned.

The Republican Party can't afford to win on Roe. They make way too much money and political attention. They just have to make the occasional vote/gesture to keep their troops in line.

The Supreme Court will have more justices that profess strict interpretation rather than seeing the bench as a place to right wrongs (ironically write can replace its homonym in many cases) and, hopefully, some of them actually will do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

This is about more than a single election. Its about the way people who "aren't the right sort" will be treated over the coming years. Its about religious prejudice and misogyny. The fight does not start in the next election, it started the day after this one.

Sorry if folks are super emotional about what happens to fellow citizens in this new world. Much easier to ignore the bigotry that does not affect you I'm sure

I see what your saying but if he "starts the fight now" he is being a hypocrite due to the things he said in regards to respecting the office of the presidency no matter who occupies it. So I take it you approve of all the rioting and attempts to break our political system i.e the EC?

Your side has their fair share of anti-religious bigots and racists as well, so please don't act like one side is pure and the other deplorable. How many years have I been hearing about how white men in America is the root of all social and economic ills? How my supposed "privilege" is oppressing everyone else? Hell I have been passed over for jobs due to concerns I "wouldn't fit in to their open, free, and fluid culture" after multiple interviews - i.e I am too white and/or straight. So that shit happens to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Sorry you are having a reaction this strong to anything happening in Washington.

I can't imagine losing a friend over an election outcome. Although, now I am wondering about my game day today, we will have most stripes represented and often have interesting political discussions. Have to hope that all can still remember we're friends with different views rather than enemies (off the board we're currently playing).

If I were more organized, I'd bookmark your concerns, though. I think you're vastly overestimating Trump's (or indeed most President's) political power and in his case passion to change the stuff about which you are concerned.

The Republican Party can't afford to win on Roe. They make way too much money and political attention. They just have to make the occasional vote/gesture to keep their troops in line.

The Supreme Court will have more justices that profess strict interpretation rather than seeing the bench as a place to right wrongs (ironically write can replace its homonym in many cases) and, hopefully, some of them actually will do so.

Actually people are having a reaction to what is happening around them, like the uptick in hate crimes and intimidation. They are also having a reaction to the possibility of having rights stripped away from citizens, like the right of marriage for our gay fellow citizens. Sorry if others rights are not high on your list of concerns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

You must be very lonely in your state. I feel sorry for you, but you'd better adapt. Find a new hobby like oil drilling ... or what about rodeo riding.

Or move to California. Sun and surfing. Soon to be independent, you'll find yourself among reasonable and intelligent people. And you'll find the friends you deserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
red black wrote:
invest in the process not the outcome.

hillary did invest in the process - lots of money. Heh.

I thought lots of money was invested in her, by certain interest groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.