Karen Pishney
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have a 9 1/2 year old who loves to play games. We are looking for mainly 2 player games as we are the only ones in our family to play. He loves the to play Ticket to Ride (US no expansions yet) and Machi Koro(original no expansions yet). I'd like to either get expansion packs or other versions of those games or a new game or two. He's pretty bright for his age and likes strategy and beats me nearly every time in both of those games. Any suggestions on either different editions of his favorites or some other game that uses strategy similar to these? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lallatin
United States
John Day
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Along the lines of Machi Koro would be Splendor or Valeria: Card Kingdoms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Kirksey
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep playing those or get the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Pishney
United States
California
flag msg tools
thanks! I will check those out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Penny
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second the TTR expansions as a first step, especially since there's some that are specifically geared towards smaller player counts (Switzerland and Nordic Countries are two, though the former can be a bit of a card grab and the latter is a full box rather than an expansion; there may be more, but those are the ones we have), and they introduce new mechanics to keep the same game fairly interesting.

Beyond that, though, I'd say if he enjoys those then try what interests you and see what flies. Our kid is 10 now and plays pretty much anything - Compounded was a favourite for a while last year despite being harder to follow than a lot of our games, then Lords of Waterdeep, Blue Moon City, even Arctic Scavengers (if you don't object to the grim setting)... all work reasonably well with two players, and if he's bright I don't think any of that will phase him. And even though they're different types of games, in my experience kids find the novelty and the challenge of learning the game as interesting as the specific style. Some they'll bounce off (I'm looking at you, Biblios), some they won't, but you won't know until you try.

Since you specifically mention 2-player games and losing a lot, we play both Jaipur and Targi, which I NEVER WIN but are both engaging in different ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
I'm a park ranger is a protector. I protect the land from the people, the people from the land, the people from each other, and the people from themselves.
mbmbmbmbmb
So many games fall into this category that its hard to suggest anything specifically.

Splendor

Love Letter

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small

Black Fleet

Takenoko

Cartagena

7 Wonders Duel

Patchwork

Port Royal

Biblios

Liars Dice

Red7

Yardmaster

Yardmaster Express

Butterfly Garden

...I could go on and on, but those are the few that come to mind

You could also consider "Stone Age" as this is an entry level game of this type, yet is fun and enjoyable for adults/gamers as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ever want a break from him beating you, my 9 year old nephew loves Pandemic and Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd recommend trying some of these:

Carcassonne
Pandemic
Splendor
Takenoko
Can't Stop
Star Realms
Forbidden Island
Patchwork

Those are all good gateway games for 2 players.

For expansions, I'd recommend

Ticket to Ride: Europe
Ticket to Ride: USA 1910
Machi Koro: Harbor

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:

Get this first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rlallatin wrote:
Along the lines of Machi Koro would be Splendor or Valeria: Card Kingdoms.

Maybe before Splendor try The Builders: Middle Ages. The game play is very similar to Splendor, but I think the theme and art are more fun and kid-friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Carcassonne

No reading needed, great with 2 player, tons of replability, maybe add Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals

I have both 1910 and Harbor expansions and think they are worth it and will refresh your games! Looking forward to adquire Millonaries Row too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.