Subject: Thought on playing with both expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nyi Nyi Htun
Australia
Newcastle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
What are the general views on the game when playing with the both expansions. I don't have the balance issue with or without expansions but the playing with both of them make us feel awkward. The decks become so huge that we cannot really go with the plan but rather go with what you are dealt with. I know it is the nature of the card driven game but I can make some adjustment when my deck is not bloated. I immensely enjoy the base game or add single expansion but not both ( personally I like the AH better). The constructed deck rule is the way to play the game when adding both? Or what are your crazy card combos when playing with both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Interesting. I thought the AM expansion really improved the game so I would like to try the AH with that expansion as well. However, I can see how having both would make the deck rather large. Interesting - I look forward to hearing a range of experiences on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
The large decks are part of the reason for the added rule that you have to discard a card each turn or lose one VP. Just make sure you play with that rule and IMO it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmb
In my group, we always play with both expansions and we'd never go back. The game just gains so much more strategic depth.

I completely agree with ErsatzDragon. Even with both expansions, you go through the decks at the same speed as before. The AM cards are played outside of the basic turn sequence, and the AH expansion adds 17 cards to each deck, while strongly encouraging players to discard an additional one every time. So unless you take a couple VP hits, you will actually exhaust your deck even faster than before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have, and prefer, using both expansions - particularly the Air Marshall expansion. However, although I see the significance in conducting deck building when both expansions are used, I really hate the time it takes to do it. It simply eats up so much time when I'd much prefer beginning play. Without deck building, I would expect to experience much more randomness and less skill applied to the game. With that said, I wonder if others who use both expansions exclude deck building, and if they sense a bit too much luck factored into the gameplay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmb
Bob.Gibson wrote:
I have, and prefer, using both expansions - particularly the Air Marshall expansion. However, although I see the significance in conducting deck building when both expansions are used, I really hate the time it takes to do it. It simply eats up so much time when I'd much prefer beginning play. Without deck building, I would expect to experience much more randomness and less skill applied to the game. With that said, I wonder if others who use both expansions exclude deck building, and if they sense a bit too much luck factored into the gameplay?

My personal experience with deckbuilding is that it gives a huge advantage to the Allies. So, while I was extremely excited about this mode of play initially, I abandoned it pretty soon after I actually gave it a few tries.

Now, it might just be that I simply suck at building decks for the Axis. However, in my experience, the Allies just overwhelm the Axis in terms of raw firepower in the full game with both expansions, while their handicap lies mostly in the dilution of their hands (and in their ability to coordinate their strategies).

Typically, most of our games are decided on whether the Allies manage to keep constant pressure on Europe, so that the Berlin-Rome Axis don't have time to get the killer German statuses out because they are starved of tempo as they need to keep defending themselves. I found that if the Allied hands are efficiently focused on a strong strategy (which they tend to be in the constructed format), it tends to be next to impossible for Germany to find an opportunity to put their war machine together and use it (before the Soviets do it with theirs, that is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.