Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Realistic what to do now rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While not for either side, I find all the wailing and gnashing of teeth to be funny. Frankly I am more scared of Ryan, McConnell, and Pence. Sure, there is plenty Trump can do by Executive Order (mostly rolling back Obama's progressive policies), but that is not the most damaging. Removing the filibuster from Congress alone would be horrible permanent damage. And everyone should have bugged their Congress critter to replace Scalia, but that ship has sailed due to indifference by the electorate (who was assured by the extremely biased and blinded media that Clinton would win). The composition of the Supreme Court is the sole issue that I think is actually traumatic to our country.

However even if Clinton won the main problem would still remain. I opened with "While not for either side". And that is the true problem, we have a binary system. So long as Congress is controlled by one of two parties things will NEVER get better. It made sense when it took five days to travel from Florida to Washington, but now is antiquated.

Want to make things better? Push hard for a change to a ranked voting system, particularly instant-runoff voting. Have your state move to proportional representation, then you might get someone other than a line-toeing party insider. If enough of both Red and Blue states adopt this (say three each, only six states needed to fix this) neither party would have an actual majority. Gnashing teeth about Trump is worthless if you don't take any steps to fix the actual problem which is a two party system where power is guaranteed to one party (even if it can switch after an election, is the true problem). The fix must come from the State level. As many of us saw our vote was irrelevant if we didn't vote in a battle-ground state.

9 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Pres.TRUMP is "getting his chance" for anything, and WHAT that shall 'comprise' is HOW he will become seen as a result with either GOOD or BAD outcome overall.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mtagge wrote:
While not for either side...



You sure sound like you are for one side, or at least, more against a particular side.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
mtagge wrote:
While not for either side...

Sarxis wrote:
You sure sound like you are for one side, or at least, more against a particular side.
Libertarian/Green Party? Yeah, at least these HAD the lesser amount of "voting losers" than them other always HAVE for when they LOST!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
mtagge wrote:
While not for either side...



You sure sound like you are for one side, or at least, more against a particular side.
Which one is that? I was pro-Bernie, anti-Clinton, anti-Trump. Unfortunately the election was a binary Clinton/Trump choice and I was in a safe district in a safe state (Fairfax Co., Virginia 65.3%/29.1% basically a blowout) so I didn't bother (and my vote was irrelevant anyway, basically what this thread is about).

There was no candidate (and no party) that addressed what I consider the real issue, addressing inequality. There will be no candidate that addresses inequality unless the term third-party disappears (because we have four or five parties with representation in government).
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
mtagge wrote:
While not for either side...



You sure sound like you are for one side, or at least, more against a particular side.
I'll add it would be incredibly foolish to be concerned about the party which doesn't control the House, doesn't control the Senate, doesn't control the White House, and won't control the Supreme Court. Perhaps you are biased?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
mtagge wrote:
....Want to make things better? Push hard for a change to a ranked voting system, particularly instant-runoff voting. Have your state move to proportional representation, then you might get someone other than a line-toeing party insider. If enough of both Red and Blue states adopt this (say three each, only six states needed to fix this) neither party would have an actual majority. Gnashing teeth about Trump is worthless if you don't take any steps to fix the actual problem which is a two party system where power is guaranteed to one party (even if it can switch after an election, is the true problem). The fix must come from the State level. As many of us saw our vote was irrelevant if we didn't vote in a battle-ground state.


With all due respect, until / unless people start voting for other parties in larger numbers, none of that is going to matter. It might shift around the numbers between the two, maybe even mean that one vs. the other winds up with more. However, one or the other is still going to have control. Even in Canada, where we have 3 "main" parties, one significant regional party and even the Green party won 1 seat in parliament, we still have a majority government that got less than 40% of the vote. That gives them power equivalent to having the presidency and both houses of congress in the US.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
Avatar
mbmbmb
President Trump is a reality. I think the best thing we can do is to start being strategic and not reactive. We have a clear division in the country that has recently created front lines that are so wound up all they do is fan the flames of more division. If we don't start de-escalating soon, nothing will be accomplished. What we probably should do is let the system shows it's flaws. Let Trump run it's course, and run directly into the face of an ineffectual status quo congress.

I really think the party that is in control will do more damage to each other and against those who voted them in than any left wing protest will ever do.

My advise. Watch and learn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapel, you might be right. I do think unfortunately the Republican platform is good for folks like me (lower taxes for my bracket, but won't miss the lack of public programs since I'm an expat until I retire), but bad for those who make ~$50K or less. Unfortunately I think being strategic means filibustering Trump's SC nominees which means the Republicans might get rid of the filibuster.

deadkenny wrote:
With all due respect, until / unless people start voting for other parties in larger numbers, none of that is going to matter. It might shift around the numbers between the two, maybe even mean that one vs. the other winds up with more. However, one or the other is still going to have control. Even in Canada, where we have 3 "main" parties, one significant regional party and even the Green party won 1 seat in parliament, we still have a majority government that got less than 40% of the vote. That gives them power equivalent to having the presidency and both houses of congress in the US.
That's exactly the problem. Right now a vote for another party might as well be a write-in vote for Mickey Mouse. Instant-runoff would allow people to vote freely for Stein/Johnson knowing they aren't going to hand their vote to Trump/Clinton.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.