Exceed: Red Horizon – Satoshi & Mei Lien vs. Baelkhor & Morathi» Forums » Rules

Subject: Baelkhor v Zoey rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Huber
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
If Zoey returns her strike to her hand, does Baelkhor have an opportunity to seal it or not? (Would seal out of hand, rather than out of guage).

I have seen rulings in other threads that make me believe this could go either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice pick!

Baelkhor has the following text.

"Whenever Baelkhor hits an opponent, he may pay 2 life to seal the opponents attack after the Strike (it is removed from the game and doesn't go to the opponents Gauge)."

Zoey has the following text.

"After: If your attack hit, you may add the top card of your Discard to your Gauge and return your attack to your hand."

I would like an official ruling from Lvl99Games, but I think both happens. If Baelkhor hits, at the Hit step he pays 2 life to seal the opponents attack - but the sealing effect only happens after the Strike (even though the effect text is resolved at the hit step). Because Zoey's is an After effect, you can instead put the top card of your deck in your Gauge and return the attack to your hand. But then after the Strike is complete, the attack in Zoey's hand is sealed and removed from the game.

This is interesting, because Zoey cannot completely avoid Baelkhor's ability but can mitigate it by still getting Gauge for landing attacks. I have played this matchup before. But this rules question was not as apparent in that match because the situation did not arise. It was rare to trade Strikes, often a player was stunned or missed.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
That's how we ruled it as well, but Brad has stated in the Eva thread that when she returns a continuous boost to hand it's "not in play" anymore. That implies cards have no memory.

It would just be pretty rough if Zoey's ability literally trumped Baelkhor's, so we ruled it partially for balance. To exactly your point, Zoey still gets value by using her ability, even if the card gets sealed out of her hand rather than out of gauge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, I missed that Eva ruling. That might be a consistent way to avoid rules confusion in the future. But the big difference here I guess is Eva's ability targets boosts, where Zoey's and Baelkhor's target attacks. I personally think the timing on these abilities is on purpose to allow for these kinds of interactions.

Having slept on it I know now why this never came up in my games, it is a timing thing. If Zoey goes first, resolves her After effect, and stuns Baelkhor, then Baelkhor does not even get a chance to do his effect. If Baelkhor hits first, resolves his Hit effect, then stuns Zoey, then same deal.

Would appreciate an official ruling please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Van Laningham
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zoey's effect prevents Baelkhor's from sealing her attack. If her After effect resolves, her attack is returned to her hand and is no longer in play when Baelkhor's effect finishes resolving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.