7 Posts

Hands in the Sea» Forums » Reviews

Subject: noob review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Just got the game on Thursday and played our first game last night, here goes a noob review!

Initial impressions.

Artwork was better than I expected as were the cards and components all of which seemed good quality, the coins, though card, even make a nice rattle like noise when used and 'felt right' . There was a major issue though, some cards were misprinted, replacement cards had been included which is kind of nice, however, the replacement cards have a slightly different colour back to them and are a slightly different size to the main cards, which means, in a deck building game, that it is possible to know what card is next in the draw pile...... poor show in a not cheap product.

Our game ticked along at a reasonable pace and tension slowly built as strategys unfolded and battles were won, lost and drawn.. I wont dwell on the rules as we are both noobs to this game and have only played once. We do need to adjust our expectations as it appears the only likely way to win is through VP rather than the insta win criteria of capturing capitals or the whole of sicily. Luck seems to to only play a part in the timing of which cards are drawn... other than that the games outcome appears incremental rather than dramatic and players tease advantage through small decisions rather than dramatic gambles of which there seem few opportunities to try anything crazy!

Overall... like the product, it shows potential and is lined up for another run out...

negative... in a deckbuilder game, those cards MUST be the same colour and same size.. don't send replacement cards, send replacement decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chubooga wrote:
There was a major issue though, some cards were misprinted, replacement cards had been included which is kind of nice, however, the replacement cards have a slightly different colour back to them and are a slightly different size to the main cards, which means, in a deck building game, that it is possible to know what card is next in the draw pile......

I went with an easy fix. I used high quality, transparent Fantasy Flight card sleeves (gray package standard-sized) to sleeve all of the location and empire cards, including the misprints. Then I inserted the off-color replacements in front of the misprints, in the sleeves.

The 'fixed' cards are thicker than usual (with the sleeves holding two cards instead of one), but at least the backs are identical.

It worked for me, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Factor
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Volko Ruhnke's medulla oblongata....
mbmbmb
wkover wrote:
I went with an easy fix. I used high quality, transparent Fantasy Flight card sleeves (gray package standard-sized) to sleeve all of the location and empire cards, including the misprints. Then I inserted the off-color replacements in front of the misprints, in the sleeves.

The 'fixed' cards are thicker than usual (with the sleeves holding two cards instead of one), but at least the backs are identical.

That definitely works well. In a related post, Peter used a similar method, but printed only the corrected card information and slipped it in front of the sleeved cards. That way, even clear sleeves could be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either use sleeves with colored backs or wait for the corrected replacement cards for the replacement cards, which all buyers will receive if contacting the publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
little follow up... been in touch with the manufacturer and new cards are being developed which will be available to all owners on the game.. yay!

Also, talked through our game with my friend.. and some of our concern was settled when we thought of the game less as a wargame and more of an influence game... made the incremental nature make more sense to us... and lessened our frustration with our inability to make dramatic breakthroughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Second playing finished.

Carthage went for a rapid expansion supported by raiding and pillaging at every opportunity while trimming weak location cards into the reserve pile to keep the deck as small as possible.

Rome went for internally developing roman towns into cities and taking Syracuse and were pushing into Sicily when the game hit a sudden end criteria.

If we played this right....

Carthage had raided 3 roman cities.. so we played they capture the city disc and it was replaced with a roman block... this, combined with roman build plans meant the romans ran out of city disks and brought about the end of the game around turn 8.. VP were about 45 to carthage and 30 to Rome.

Overall it was about 2hrs, and was fun and interesting throughout to the point that we were both disappointed it ended! surely a good sign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crispin Moakler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Chubooga wrote:

negative... in a deckbuilder game, those cards MUST be the same colour and same size.. don't send replacement cards, send replacement decks.

Knight works sent out a lengthy explanation regarding this to all their kickstarter backers, they were seriously upset by the quality of the reprints.

They did the best they could with a manufacturer who let them down badly and shouldered the additional costs.

All the backers were fully informed and most seemed to understand, sleeving is not a terrible thing to have to do.

If you're wondering why I am posting now it's because I only just managed to play my first game :-) Really enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.