Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a friends copy two times.

Now I do own I the game + Forsaken Lore + Strange Remnants.

I want to add all of Forsaken Lore for more encounters / items etc. and the focus mechanic from Strange Remnants as I really like it.

Question 1: Will the added focus tokens make the game too easy while not adding other, probably balancing parts from the expansion ?

Question 2: The rules for Strange Remnants state to add either all or nothing from this expansion. I guess I can add only the focus without breaking any mechanic.
Are there other parts from Strange Remnants which can be added (investigators, items or prelude for example) or is everything dependant to have it all.

Question 3: Which is the best old one for new players to have a good first experience without complex additional rules and a chance for success.

Looking forward to play with 3 friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Henrik,

add all of FS and all of SR. SR doesn't add complexity apart from the Focus counters, but you'll get new investigators, encounters, and other great stuff. It surely won't break the game if you decide to only add the focus mechanic though.

Azatoth is always a good choice for new players. And to avoid too much frustration, sort out the "hard" Mythos cards before you create the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding question 2: Some investigators from Strange Remnants use the focus mechanic, task assets, glamour spells and so on for their abilities... So they would be "useless" (harsh word) if the components they are dependant on wouldn't be also added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
Played a friends copy two times.

Now I do own I the game + Forsaken Lore + Strange Remnants.

I want to add all of Forsaken Lore for more encounters / items etc. and the focus mechanic from Strange Remnants as I really like it.

Question 1: Will the added focus tokens make the game too easy while not adding other, probably balancing parts from the expansion ?

Question 2: The rules for Strange Remnants state to add either all or nothing from this expansion. I guess I can add only the focus without breaking any mechanic.
Are there other parts from Strange Remnants which can be added (investigators, items or prelude for example) or is everything dependant to have it all.

Question 3: Which is the best old one for new players to have a good first experience without complex additional rules and a chance for success.

Looking forward to play with 3 friends.
Just dump all the expansion content in. It'll be fine. You'll get some new mechanisms (like Focus) and some new Conditions (like Poison), but the gains from improved card count for Encounters far outweighs any loss due to marginal increases in complexity and difficulty (though adding both expansions should take the edge of Forsaken Lore).

As to AO to try, well take a look at Eldritch Horror Statistics and pick one of the easier ones from that data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So adding in everything from Strange Remnants except the mystic ruins and adventure cards (while not playing with Syzygy and/or the cosmic constallation prelude) is the way to go ? Guess playing without them or preludes at all will lighten the load. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, I also own just this 2 expansions and that's the way to go.

Gruß nach Kiel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
So adding in everything from Strange Remnants except the mystic ruins and adventure cards (while not playing with Syzygy and/or the cosmic constallation prelude) is the way to go ? Guess playing without them or preludes at all will lighten the load. Thanks.
The Mystic Ruins and Adventure cards are only used in certain setups anyway, so you can avoid those setups if you wish. The Adventure cards are - in general - a way of reducing the difficulty of the game, so you might want to think about using them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.