Subject: Succeeding a skill test by X or more rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Example: Opportunist: [...] If you succeed by 3 or more, return Opportunist to your hand after this test instead of discarding it.

When does it count as succeeding by 3? Do I succeed by 1 if I match the difficulty of the skill, or would that be considered succeeding by 0? Other way around: If the difficulty is 2, would I need 4 or 5 to succeed by 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heilz wrote:
Example: Opportunist: [...] If you succeed by 3 or more, return Opportunist to your hand after this test instead of discarding it.

When does it count as succeeding by 3? Do I succeed by 1 if I match the difficulty of the skill, or would that be considered succeeding by 0? Other way around: If the difficulty is 2, would I need 4 or 5 to succeed by 3?

We understand it the way that you need at least 5 to return the card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The manual refers to a value matching or exceeding as being a success. This implies that 'one greater' exceeds by one. Therefore if you were testing against a value of two, you would need a five to exceed by three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
Heilz wrote:

We understand it the way that you need at least 5 to return the card...

Add three to the difficulty number. If you reach that new number Opportunist succeeds.
If your result is equal to the target number you succeed by zero.
Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember the grim rule!
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal_pjv wrote:
Also remember the grim rule!

The grim rule only applies when you don't know the actual ruling to keep the game flowing instead of interrupting to look it up on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.