Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be attending a board game meeting today (10 am - 11 pm) and I asked my friend if he could bring this game. I have watched several videos about it, Shut Up & Sit Down, Dan King & Sam Healey and feel like I have basic idea of how to play the game. I am really craving the experience rather than being victorious.

What are some suggestions you all have for a NOOB!
laugh

Also, are the German tanks Tigers? and the American ones Shermans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoy!! You can be playing different countries. The first scenario is actually British v Germans. It really depends on which map set up and which battle they will set up for you.

Oh... noob suggestions: don't be afraid to move troops back away from fire. If you are in reinforced areas stay as long as you can. Defending means waiting. Don't forget about artillery.

Finally... if you start an offensive in a flank make sure you try and have a few cards to back yourself up!!

If you are playing Pegasus Bridge, send most of your British forces up right and around the pond. Take out the bridge along the way. If you are playing the Germans protect your left flank on Pegasus bridge.

But?... have fun!!

M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be willing and able to change plans based on what cards you have in hand. You may wind up with a nice looking offensive possibility on the right flank(as an example) but not have cards or enough cards to command them. Patience and ability to be flexible in command decisions is key. Keep your options open and utilize the "shared hexes" that can be commanded by both flank and center. Strategies can vary as much as the scenarios, it depends a lot on the initial set up.
Have fun with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redblackmonkey wrote:
Be willing and able to change plans based on what cards you have in hand. You may wind up with a nice looking offensive possibility on the right flank(as an example) but not have cards or enough cards to command them. Patience and ability to be flexible in command decisions is key. Keep your options open and utilize the "shared hexes" that can be commanded by both flank and center. Strategies can vary as much as the scenarios, it depends a lot on the initial set up.
Have fun with it!

Shared hexes? The ones on the red dotted lines?

Thanks! I am SOOOOO looking forward to playing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep tanks at maximum range unless you are sure you can get an overrun.
Keep lines of retreat open for your units.
Try to build up a hand where you can play 3+ cards in a row in one section of the board.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Are the German tanks Tigers? and the American ones Shermans?

The Germans tanks are a mix between Panzar III and Panzer IV.
There is an expansion called Tigers in the Snow that comes with Tiger, but it is Out of print and very hard to find.
The allied tanks are Shermans.

Good luck with your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you get deeper into the game, you might want to change the tanks if for ex. you play the British, so here is a link for 3D prints........http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:769137
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck! Enjoy! Post a comment here to let us other rabid fans how it went!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooz wrote:
Good luck! Enjoy! Post a comment here to let us other rabid fans how it went!

Will do!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you have your feet wet, this game, it's expansions, and all the other Commands & Colors system games have in my honest opinion near limitless potential! No matter what your combat interests may be(historical or fantasy) there is or probably will be a Commans & Colors ststem game for it. I myself am looking to get into Ancients & Napoleonics. Medievil and American Revolutionary War seems to be coming just around the corner.

As far as just Memoir 44 tho, check Days of Wonders website and links and all the threads and files here on bgg. Between those two there is an absolute wealth of stuff. Again, the potential is absolutely limitless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When enemy armor is around, keep infantry in woods/hedgerows and towns when possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One thing to keep in mind is that for fans of the game, the (so called) limiting nature of the cards is part of he appeal.

You'll find a number of people whining "I can't do what I wanna do, this game sux waaaa" - okay, paraphrasing a little there but working within the constraints of the cards you have can be a rewarding challenge.

In fact if the game allowed you to move everything every turn, it would likely be quite boring.

Have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
When you get deeper into the game, you might want to change the tanks if for ex. you play the British, so here is a link for 3D prints........http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:769137

That link goes to the 1:100 models - too big for M'44.

Here's the link for the 1:200

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:232248

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justin hirst
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Lots of good advice.

But in the heat of battle, you'll forget things, the dice will play with your emotions and promise to obliterate but then let you down when you need them the most, the cards will toy with your plans, victory will seem possible, then just out of reach, then vanish, then be possible with a Hail Mary, if it works, if...

I hope you play both sides of whatever scenario you plays and whatever the outcome, enjoy.

Welcome to our world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend, you are in for a good time. Memoir 44 is in my opinion one of the top games when it comes to being just flat out FUN. It has a perfect mix of luck and skill - you have to work within the parameters presented to you, and you can only see a few turns ahead since you don't know what card draws are in your future.

One decision I find fun is whether to advance your units close to throw more dice or to hang back in cover and throw fewer dice (often the latter is best, but you will realize there are times when you smell an imminent kill and should advance on the enemy.)

I'm a little jealous. I wish I could go back in time and play M44 for the first time. It was one of my first games and still one of the best I own.

Enjoy :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IT-WAS-AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got to play my first scenario with my friend who owns the game, it was the introduction scenario. I was the Axis and I lost horribly even though my friend helped me quite a but my dice rolls were bad but it didn't matter that was probably the thing I like the best about the game!

Then my step-son showed up and I asked my friend if my step-son & I could play it a few more times. More awesomeness. I lost two more times but the experience was really exciting! We played the 2nd scenario and my step-son was the Allies and got to parachute in four units before the game started but I had tanks! So I planned on obliterating him. His first turn he had the card that had airplanes do a strike on any of my four connecting units and was able to roll two dice per occupied hex, .....wow! all four rolls hit twice including rolling two tanks when he attacked my tanks. BAM! I was decimated. WE both loved it!

I am getting this game soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic! And congratulations. And so it begins... (I'd just get two base sets now.)

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainMench wrote:
Fantastic! And congratulations. And so it begins... (I'd just get two base sets now.)

Mike

I second that! Two base sets(or overlord maps) open up the overlord scenarios. It takes an ideal grouping friends/family but I had a blast as overall commander controlling and dispersing cards to my 3 field commanders, while the other side did the same. The friendly debate of who gets the priority and who gets cards when was an awesome dynamic. Of course you can still play overlord one on one, it is just a bigger setup. I.M.H.O. overlord is best as multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Axford
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Subscribe to the MetaList for Geeklist Auction (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/66420/metalist-geekli...)

....always find someone posting a base set for cheap.

Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
IT-WAS-AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.