Subject: Combat clarification for people who have just bought Inis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mechanical Gamer

London
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen loads of small variations on the combat from reviewers - many of which say when you are attacked, you can either lose a clan, lose a card, or withdraw.

I think it's really important that new players realise this is NOT how the combat works. The only reason I mention it is because that will lead to a much more separated game, as withdrawing is much more appealing if you don't lose a clan. And all the fun in Inis is trying to live and fight amongst the opponents, not separately from them.

When you are attacked, you must lose a clan, or lose a green action card (outside of other Epic or triskel effects).

Then, on your turn to attack (manoeuvre), you can attack, withdraw, or play an appropriate Epic card.

Anyway, just thought I would mention this as I see it often.

Any other rules that people often play wrongly first time through?

Some thoughts:

Festivals can only be played where there is a sanctuary.
Citadels give you the card of the tile you played it on, even if it is in someone else's hand. (Unless it has been played this turn already)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that before maneuvering (attack, withdraw or play or card) everyone could declare peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Holly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Yep! And super important - calling for peace is NOT a maneuver. Everyone can talk about peace without worrying that it's an action. You can say "okay everyone peace? No? Okay then time for you to burn!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Erwin
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just played our first game tonight and thankfully we got this right after some initial rereading of the rules when we got confused. One thing did crop up though, so hopefully one of you can help us figure it out.

Example: Blue player moves into area and declares war on green who is in the new area. White is in the area as well. Assuming you either don't have a citadel to retreat to or that you still have exposed clans after it is filled, does everyone participate in the fighting? And if so, how is this done? The confusion comes in for us when you have that blue player come in and they go to attack green. Green can either die or lose a card. Then I understand that if they still have men in the area they can either withdraw, attack, or play an epic card. But what is the white guy doing this whole time? After blue and green go, does he simply pick withdraw, attack, or play an epic card? I'm assuming he can't just say, "I don't want to fight anyone!" and stay where he is (which is what they tried doing). Any help on this would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes: each player in turn executes a maneuver. At anytime you can discuss peace. And that's it!

A few considerations though:
When blue moves he doesn't "declare war on green". It's just that in his first maneuver he attacks green. Each player in turn decides to either attack, withdraw, or play an epic tale maneuver. Maybe a player can only attack but don't forget they can end the clash if everyone with exposed clans agree. If they attack, they can attack any player with exposed clan. There is no commitment to attack only this or that player. And that's right you can't just do nothing! If you want peace, convince them for peace!

This sequence is possible for instance:
Blue attacks green,
Green attacks white,
White attacks green,
Blue attacks white,
Etc, you get the spirit... Actually it depends on local and global situation, cards in hand, what players have in head, their temper...

Hope that's clear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Erwin
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kris wrote:
Hope that's clear

Yep, that makes sense. Didn't really mean it was an official move of declaring war, more of a situation we had where as soon as the one crossed the border they did say, "I'm attacking you!" The one being attacked was first in the order, so they quickly hopped in the citadel. Then the instigator attacked the one remaining clan of the one she "declared" on (which she killed off) and was smiling from ear to ear and thought that was it. I had to tell them to slow their roll, because I hadn't gone yet and I was told, "Oh, I wasn't attacking you! I was only attacking her!" and I said, "Yeah, that's fine, but I still get to go." and had to explain how the fighting actually worked. I killed one of hers and then she withdrew next time around. It was a little confusing at first, but I think we all get it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynthia
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game tonight and we are pretty sure we completely messed up the clashes. I was hoping you can help clarify some more? We are confused on the whole refusing to clash thing. We played it that you can refuse to clash at anytime. So, I invade your territory and say I wanna fight, then you say you don't want to fight. So we move on with no fighting. It made for the most boring game ever. After some searching we are realizing we had to be doing this wrong. We are playing a 2 player game. Can you clarify a bit how a clash goes down? Do you have to fight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
taezer wrote:
We played our first game tonight and we are pretty sure we completely messed up the clashes. I was hoping you can help clarify some more? We are confused on the whole refusing to clash thing. We played it that you can refuse to clash at anytime. So, I invade your territory and say I wanna fight, then you say you don't want to fight. So we move on with no fighting. It made for the most boring game ever. After some searching we are realizing we had to be doing this wrong. We are playing a 2 player game. Can you clarify a bit how a clash goes down? Do you have to fight?

I'm afraid that you did get that wrong. Before a player chooses a maneuver (attack, withdraw or card as a maneuver) the players have a chance to negotiate a peace. However, if any one player wants the clash to continue, then it does. So all players have to agree to not fight in order to end a clash and that discussion happens before each player performs a maneuver.

So you had it the wrong way around. You were playing it like all players had to agree to fight otherwise the clash stops. It is the opposite, all players have to agree to not fight for a clash to stop.

Basically if you want to fight, you will be able to fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynthia
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
taezer wrote:

I'm afraid that you did get that wrong. Before a player chooses a maneuver (attack, withdraw or card as a maneuver) the players have a chance to negotiate a peace. However, if any one player wants the clash to continue, then it does. So all players have to agree to not fight in order to end a clash and that discussion happens before each player performs a maneuver.

So you had it the wrong way around. You were playing it like all players had to agree to fight otherwise the clash stops. It is the opposite, all players have to agree to not fight for a clash to stop.

Basically if you want to fight, you will be able to fight.

You're right, we were playing it where everyone had to agree to fight in order to fight. We were ready to get rid of the game! Thank you for clarifying! That changes everything lol. Excited to give it another go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mechanical Gamer

London
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, this makes the thread all worthwhile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.