Germany
Friedberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you take the Investigate action even if there are no clues on the location? For the purpose to burgle it for example? (This is especially fun in the Hallway of the first scenario - basically free resources all the time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Investigate action: possible with no clues?
There is an active discussion about this, but with respect to a different card, here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1670726/rolands-cover

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Friedberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Investigate action: possible with no clues?
Seems two things are going on - here is the designers final answer:

“I sent Matthew Newman the rules question and he replied with this.

Cover Up says “(React) When you would discover 1 or more clues at your location: Discard that many clues from Cover Up instead.” In order for you to be able to use this ability, there has to be at least 1 clue on your location – if there are no clues at your location, then the replacement effect can’t trigger. You can totally replace clues discovered by Working a Hunch or Roland’s ability using the effect on Cover Up, but again, only if there’s actually that many clues to discover at your location.
Note that this is different from a card that replaces the entire effects of a successful test with something else completely. Burglary, for example, says to investigate, and if successful, you gain 3 resources instead of discovering clues. This will work even if there aren’t any clues in your location. (It’s not specifying a specific number of clues like Cover Up is, it’s just telling you to replace the act of discovering clues with gaining 3 resources.)

I understand it’s a bit of a rules grey area. I suppose it's a little easier to appreciate from a flavor perspective: in order to Cover Up what’s going on, there has to be evidence, right? (in the form of clues). But there doesn’t need to be any clue around in order for you to steal $ from wherever you are.

Hopefully this helps! =D”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
-So if a card tell me, "gain a clue", I get a clue from the reserve even if theres no clue on the location? (If theres one on my location, do I still get the clue from the reserve instead of the location?)

-But, if a card say "discover a clue", I need to have at least one clue on my location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Friedberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't there only cards where it would say: gain an ADDITIONAL clue? (which still would come from the location).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
im not sure, but still, if for example the card tell you that you gain (not discover) an additionnal clue, do you take the additionnal clue in the pool if theres none left on the location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are no effects in the game that generate clues out of nowhere based on investigator actions. You discover clues from locations that still have one; you can gain additional clues on a discovery, but only insofar as there are still clues on the location. Clues never come from the bank to an investigator; they are always drained from a location.

Perhaps they'll make a card down the road that lets investigators create clues through some effects, but right now all effects first discover clues from your location, and then possibly increase ("gain") that reward. If there's not enough clues left to drain from the location, you're not going to gain any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Isnt there a location in the second scenario that gives you clues from the pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thread. Just wonder why two words are used "Gain" and "Discover" for clues when they seem to mean exactly the same thing in game terms....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
Interesting thread. Just wonder why two words are used "Gain" and "Discover" for clues when they seem to mean exactly the same thing in game terms....

Not quite, but close. Discover gets you a clue from a location. Gain increases the clue bounty.

Why did they differentiate? I dunno. Maybe they want to have more Roland-like triggers on discovering clues vs. gaining. Or maybe they really, really want "gain" to have some additional rules baggage down the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that David. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gaffa wrote:
Discover gets you a clue from a location. Gain increases the clue bounty.

What's "clue bounty"? Sounds like the amount of clues on a location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that all player cards refer to 'discovering' clues.

There's a location whose text reads:

'Action: Spend 5 resources: Gain 2 clues from the token pool. (Group limit once per game.)'

This text is very clear, those clues come directly from the token pool.

For those who seem to be talking about ambiguity concerning cards which talk about 'gaining' a clue, is there a particular card you're referring to? If not, the hypothetical questions of 'what if a card says gain a clue' aren't helpful, and are only liable to cause extra confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.