Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you heal assets with First Aid? It specifically states Investigator, but you can assign damage to assets you control - so does Investigator here mean the cards you control as well? Especially interesting in combination with "direct" damage, where sometimes it also doesn't specifically states the Investigator card (like on Abandoned and Alone weakness).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rules Reference Page 12

Heal
“Heal is an instruction to remove the indicated amount of damage or the indicated amount of horror from a card.”

If you are told to remove it from an Investigator card you remove it from an Investigator card. If you are told to remove it from any card you remove it from any card.

There is no means in the core set to Heal non-investigators.

Likewise with direct damage. It must go to the target. You don’t get to choose to redistribute it.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenix_Bird wrote:
Rules Reference Page 12

Heal
“Heal is an instruction to remove the indicated amount of damage or the indicated amount of horror from a card.”

If you are told to remove it from an Investigator card you remove it from an Investigator card. If you are told to remove it from any card you remove it from any card.

There is no means in the core set to Heal non-investigators.

Likewise with direct damage. It must go to the target. You don’t get to choose to redistribute it.

Phoenix

As if it were so easy. Abandoned and Alone says "Take 2 direct damage". Directly to where? I understand the intent, but along the same line First aid might heal my assets. Like my ally for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Direct Damage means you take it directly to your investigator card, you can't assign it anywhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:
Direct Damage means you take it directly to your investigator card, you can't assign it anywhere else.

Rules Reference page 9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
happycatmachine wrote:
CletusVanDamme wrote:

Rules Reference page 9

"Direct Damage, Direct Horror
If an ability causes a card to take direct damage or direct horror,
that damage or horror must be assigned directly to the specified
card, and cannot be assigned or re-assigned elsewhere. "

Which card is specified in the text "Take 2 direct damage."

As I said, I understand the intent but I don't agree with the wording or more specifically what it means for First Aid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sorry that was hastily typed. I meant in this case that's what it means. I know Benji takes it that way too, but he's right, it's not explicit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
RR Page 9
Direct Damage, Direct Horror
If an ability causes a card to take direct damage or direct horror, that damage or horror must be assigned directly to the specified card, and cannot be assigned or re-assigned elsewhere

Now I see where you're coming from, but I'd say that "Abandoned and Alone" has an implied "you" in it's text: "Take 2 direct horror and remove all cards in your discard pile from the game.

Quote:
RR Page 22
You/Your
- An ability on a card in play referencing "you" or "your" refers to the investigator who controls, is engaged with, or is currently interacting with the card. ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But is "you" your "investigator card" or also your talents and maybe possessions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benji_online wrote:
But is "you" your "investigator card" or also your talents and maybe possessions?

Holy shit, the mental gymnastics going on to try and make this unclear is ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benji_online wrote:

Apply the Grim Rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
benji_online wrote:

If there was any option of applying it to your assets, then putting "direct" on the card would be redundant, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Benjamin.
Where have you been assigning damage before?
I have been putting mine in a little box under my bed.
I agree with you. It would be crazy to put it on your investigator card. What if they die?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
benji_online wrote:

If there was any option of applying it to your assets, then putting "direct" on the card would be redundant, no?

Absolutely - I agree with the ruling - just not with the wording. Meaning: the RRG doesn't properly delineate between the phrases in my eyes. Logically it is clear that you can't apply first aid to a bulletproof vest. I just think the rules don't make it as clear. Hence my question if I just don't see it or if it is simply not stated that clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenix_Bird wrote:
Benjamin.
I agree with you. It would be crazy to put it on your investigator card. What if they die?

I am a board games editor so for me wording is kind of important regardless of intent. Call it a professional pet peeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Davis
msg tools
mbmb
benji_online wrote:
Phoenix_Bird wrote:
Benjamin.

I am a board games editor so for me wording is kind of important regardless of intent. Call it a professional pet peeve.

"Direct" struck me as very clear. Taking regular damage, I can assign it however I please. Taking direct damage, it goes straight to my investigator unless otherwise specified. I'm inferring a bit, I know, but I also don't think you're trying really hard to make it seem more unclear than it actually is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I understand direct damage - I want to find out how the heal question is answered (and believed that direct damage in reverse held the answer).

I know I am dissecting wording here. But hey. It is boardgameGEEK, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benji_online wrote:

I think you need boardgamePEDANT.com!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
benji_online wrote:

I think you need boardgamePEDANT.com!

To be honest: when it comes to my rules writing I love being a pedant. Makes sure I deliver concise rules. That's why I am being very specific when it comes to wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Davis
msg tools
mbmb
Fair enough. And I'll admit the conversation over direct damage got me sidetracked from the subject at hand.

Under the Dealing Damage/Horror section of the rules reference it states: "When and investigator is dealt damage or horror, that investigator may assign it to eligible asset cards he or she controls." First Aid removes damage from an Investigator, but doesn't specify the "Investigator card."

Considering healing and damage are two sides of the same coin, I'd assume targeting rules are the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my thinking exactly that you CAN heal assets via First Aid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Whitford
msg tools
mbmbmb
benji_online wrote:

Page 20 rules reference:
Quote:
Taking Damage/Horror
“Take X damage” is shorthand for “deal X damage
to your investigator.” “Take X horror” is shorthand
for “deal X horror to your investigator.”

Therefore, "Take 2 direct damage" is shorthand for "deal 2 direct damage to your investigator."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dealing damage is inherently different. There are rules that allow you to redistribute that damage/horror. First Aid specifically says to heal your investigator--and heal says to remove the damage from the card specified; damaged assets are not investigators. No need to add even more rules/steps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Davis
msg tools
mbmb
Eyefink wrote:
Dealing damage is inherently different. There are rules that allow you to redistribute that damage/horror. First Aid specifically says to heal your investigator--and heal says to remove the damage from the card specified; damaged assets are not investigators. No need to add even more rules/steps.

I'd agree with you except healing seems to be defined, essentially, as negative damage. So with mathy substitution rules in play, the rules of one seem to apply to the other, except with regards to which direction the damage is going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
tangmcgame wrote:
I'd agree with you except healing seems to be defined, essentially, as negative damage.

Where is healing defined as "negative damage"? Does discarding a card count as "negative card draw"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.