Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Bulbous also tapered?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you use the historical drop zones each time you played? If so, I can understand your results.

There are some creative ways to alter the drop zones, and from what I've seen and heard they are good for about a 50/50 shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Sonny Rollins - A Night at the Village Vanguard
badge
Gates of Eden - Ethan Coen
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Moody wrote:
There are some creative ways to alter the drop zones, and from what I've seen and heard they are good for about a 50/50 shot.

Wow, 50-50, Kevin? I never found a setup with prospects anywhere near that good. The way I saw it, you were going to need a second drop far enough north to help hold Arnhem bridge, and if you did that the Germans could circle and stop the column farther south.

1 in 23 sounds pretty extreme, though. I think the Brit paras could hold out by themselves 1 time in 10, maybe 1 in 12. If they do that, the Allies should win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bogdasarian
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my copy close to hand and haven't played it in ages, but here's what I recall of my winning Allied strategy, which essentially boils down to "get XXX Corps to Arnhem!"

The 101st should land so as to interdict the highway and prevent the Germans from forming several roadblocks. You can route the supply around the German units (no ZOCs), but even if they cut a battalion off for an impulse or two, it's worth the trade. They're 1-1s, you're 3-4s; it's ok to take hits if it results in killing units. Once you've got the road cleared, concentrate on keeping it that way.

Step two is to secure Nijmegen bridge with the 82nd, concentrating on taking the roads and preventing additional German reinforcements from infiltrating to Hell's Highway.

Step three sees XXX Corps drive down the cleared road to Arnhem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Boulter
United Kingdom
Bristol
UK
flag msg tools
badge
knowledge is power
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember struggling with marching XXX corps up the road.

Then I re-read the rules and spotted, Concentrated Bombardment.

This negates the town effect, you still have the river/canal issue of course, but it levels the playing field a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls