$30.00
Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Myth Battles Speculation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So having watched the recent Megacon news update (Nov 7), Brian and Kenny revealed more about the nature of what Myth Battles is.

I wanted to open up some speculation and discussion around the information we get from Megacon with people who love the game. Hopefully, people here are willing to chime in and have some fun with it.

First order of business, and one that has me intrigued as a hobbyist, is the concept of modifying models. Using their grubber analogy, you can take a grubber and modify it to a specific type. First, and the most obvious method, you could purchase your models like GW sells their models (you need marines so you buy a box of them). At that point you can modify the models based on extra bits that come in the set. This is the usual - purchase what you need to build your army - concept. Then you are stuck with what you glue and build. Also, you are stuck with all the extra bits you don't use.

This method requires the most overhead for Megacon as you have to stock every type of unit.

Second: What if you could modify a model in some other way, like snap to fit instead of gluing? Does such a possibility exist? Then you could purchase a full Grubber set and interchange. Again, this is speculation and I am leaning more towards the first example/model, but how cool would it be to modify models. I did this to some degree with my Dreadnoughts, by embedding magnets in the different arms and one in the base model and then swapping them around. I just wonder if anyone has a seen another game try this in some other fashion?

So let the speculation commence! What sort of units do you see happening for the different races? What would you do? What sort of mechanics would you use for combat? The speculation is endless.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the opposite reaction. Having to spend time reconfiguring my models sounds like a downer to me. That will way heavy in my attempt to not back the KS.

Plus, all their other KS's have been mess. Brian and Kenny are nice guys and I wish them success, but I worry they don't learn from past mistakes and keep on repeating steps in a process that is faulty.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I hope that either small armies make for a fun game (20/4/1/1 per side) or that there will be rules for mixing factions (even if it's limited). With so many factions from Myth 1 and 2, it would be neat to be able to use them all without having to significantly expand each.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The size and scope of the board made me think that each model would represent more than itself when I saw it at GenCon (kind of like Runewars). I wish I would have asked at the time. The artwork was really cool as expected from MERCs.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Wow, that would be very interesting. I really like the idea of adding variety to the existing factions, without having a massive increase in model count per faction.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
It just occurred to me, are you sure you're not think of Myth: Dark Frontiers?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:
I had the opposite reaction. Having to spend time reconfiguring my models sounds like a downer to me. That will way heavy in my attempt to not back the KS.


I can see your point. Would you prefer models with set stats that require no adaption? Basically, here is an assault grubber, here are the stats, play out of the box with no assembly?



We are definitely referring to Myth Battles.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth Battles is a tabletop wargame. And one of the common things that I've seen among wargames is model assembly. My thought is that you can expect all faction expansion boxes of monsters will become configurable much like a box of Space Marines. you'll have lots of small bits to set up your box of grubbers, crawlers, shamblers, okis, etc how you want. The expansion boxes with 10 minions or 2 captains would no longer be needed to finish out the number of monsters needed to reach 20/4/1/1. Instead, modules would provide those numbers for us.

During the Journeyman kickstarter they mentioned that when/if modules go to retail, they'd have all the models necessary to finish them (other than the boss). So you'd get 20 minions, 4 captains, and 1 commander in every module. These would come pre-built like the ones that we have now with the intention being that you can just open the box and start playing the story right away.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
torva wrote:
It just occurred to me, are you sure you're not think of Myth: Dark Frontiers?


This is not related to Myth: Dark Frontiers. The most recent megacon news video talks a bit about Myth: Battles which is the tabletop wargame that they want to make. You can find the video here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/megacongames/myth-journ...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Sorry, my comment wasn't directed to you. It was directed to TheDarkKnight saying that he saw it at GenCon. I presume he was referring to dark frontier, not battles.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
torva wrote:
It just occurred to me, are you sure you're not think of Myth: Dark Frontiers?


Doh! I think you are correct. What I saw was more of strategic level map and not a WFB type game. My bad! modest
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:
I had the opposite reaction. Having to spend time reconfiguring my models sounds like a downer to me. That will way heavy in my attempt to not back the KS.

Plus, all their other KS's have been mess. Brian and Kenny are nice guys and I wish them success, but I worry they don't learn from past mistakes and keep on repeating steps in a process that is faulty.


Configuring models is pretty standard for this type of game. Of course I am a Warhammer 40K player so I am used to configuring models.

I would not say all their other KS's have been a mess. Just their first two had lots of issues (Myth 1 and Recon). But once the dust settled, I really enjoy both. So far, no issues for me with Myth Journeyman, Banner Saga and Dumpster Diver. Just received Myth Journeyman wave 1 and the contents are great quality. The minis in Banner Saga are awsome. This KS does have wave 2 which was a surprise but I don't really stress over delays. Go ahead. Call me a fanboy. I really like their games.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

All I have seen from Megacon thus far is d8's for Recon and d10's for Myth (with the exception of fate dice). What is the combat system for MERCS tabletop like? Does anyone see potential for a similar system at use here?

All I have for reference is Warhammer with WS rolls and strength vs toughness and then armour saves.

What is Megacon doing presently?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jetewabbie wrote:
TheDarkKnight wrote:
I had the opposite reaction. Having to spend time reconfiguring my models sounds like a downer to me. That will way heavy in my attempt to not back the KS.

Plus, all their other KS's have been mess. Brian and Kenny are nice guys and I wish them success, but I worry they don't learn from past mistakes and keep on repeating steps in a process that is faulty.


Configuring models is pretty standard for this type of game. Of course I am a Warhammer 40K player so I am used to configuring models.

I would not say all their other KS's have been a mess. Just their first two had lots of issues (Myth 1 and Recon). But once the dust settled, I really enjoy both. So far, no issues for me with Myth Journeyman, Banner Saga and Dumpster Diver. Just received Myth Journeyman wave 1 and the contents are great quality. The minis in Banner Saga are awsome. This KS does have wave 2 which was a surprise but I don't really stress over delays. Go ahead. Call me a fanboy. I really like their games.


You could call me somewhat of fanboy as well. No matter how much silliness goes on, I still back a lot of their stuff. I've been a little more unfortunate with how things have been shipped to me. The latest two boxes of Journeymen I just received went through the wringer or something before my porch. LOL!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
I'm not interested in 40K style kitbashing anymore, I don't even really have time to paint what I have. If there's a pledge level where I can just get the cards, I'll do that and use a colored mark to discriminate types in play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
F0rmally Kn0wn As wrote:

All I have seen from Megacon thus far is d8's for Recon and d10's for Myth (with the exception of fate dice). What is the combat system for MERCS tabletop like? Does anyone see potential for a similar system at use here?

All I have for reference is Warhammer with WS rolls and strength vs toughness and then armour saves.

What is Megacon doing presently?



I'd expect that Myth Battles will maintain the D10/Fate Dice set-up they have going. Fate Recipes will be where they try to innovate here with recipes allowing extra actions or offensive/defensive bonuses.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
F0rmally Kn0wn As wrote:
First order of business, and one that has me intrigued as a hobbyist, is the concept of modifying models. Using their grubber analogy, you can take a grubber and modify it to a specific type. First, and the most obvious method, you could purchase your models like GW sells their models (you need marines so you buy a box of them). At that point you can modify the models based on extra bits that come in the set. This is the usual - purchase what you need to build your army - concept. Then you are stuck with what you glue and build. Also, you are stuck with all the extra bits you don't use.

This method requires the most overhead for Megacon as you have to stock every type of unit.


Since we're speculating ...

This is an excellent strategy to move KS1 inventory that's still taking up space at Kable. Remember, they have no sculptor anymore (Tom left for greener pastures). It is much more cost effective for McG to leverage existing inventory, pay a sculptor to create small add-ons and charge a premium through KS for this. I don't think it is a coincidence that McG is going back to KS1 and trying to leverage their excess inventory. This is the same strategy they are taking with their current Emergence Event KS.

F0rmally Kn0wn As wrote:
Second: What if you could modify a model in some other way, like snap to fit instead of gluing? Does such a possibility exist? Then you could purchase a full Grubber set and interchange. Again, this is speculation and I am leaning more towards the first example/model, but how cool would it be to modify models. I did this to some degree with my Dreadnoughts, by embedding magnets in the different arms and one in the base model and then swapping them around. I just wonder if anyone has a seen another game try this in some other fashion?


Based on how Brian described this in the video (and how I heard it), I am of the opinion that he's trying to create some sort of model that can be modified over and over. More like what you describe in option2. If more of Option1, then all the Myth 1 and 2 backers would have to repurchase base figures in order to customize the way he describes. Maybe that's what they want .... I think the community would resist having to repurchase those figures however.

Personally, I have no desire to continue playing with the figures we've had for 2 years. To me, the power of this game is the wealth of opportunity that's introduced via new races/figures, etc. Heck, the community already made grubber/mucker/crawler/stalker variants long ago.

As for the concept of Myth Battles, I have to really wonder how many boardgamers are crossover wargamers. Sorta like when McG/Stoic thought there'd be a huge crossover between video gamers and boardgamers (Banner Saga) - just compare the numbers between those two kickstarters and you'll see what I mean. I have zero desire to use Myth in a wargame setting. If I ever got the itch for a wargame, I'd likely invest into a "known" system like Infinity/Warhammer, etc. since I'd be much more likely to find solid rules, opponents and sponsored events.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While more variation within a single monstertype (and especially within the minion and captain ranks) would be a great thing, I also doubt, that the average MYTH-player wants to tinker with minis.
While I embrace everything new to the MYTH-universe, IMHO spreading this game even thinner genre-wise is a bad decision. MYTH still struggles with its identity and while I have high hopes, that the modules will pacify most of the disappointed dungeon crawler crowd, there are still many unresolved issures with the game.

I hope MCG realises, that they need to support MYTH beyond content and rule patches. The barrier of entry is still way to high for this game to become really successful. The best news from the last video IMHO was the announcement of the guided walkthrough for the first act of the "Stone of Life" module. I second MMs request to also make a video tutorial out of it.

Putting the term "boardgame" on the box was a mistake from my pov. The amount of time, money and dedication required to get MYTH to the table and enjoy it is way beyond what the average person would and can expect from a boardgame. IMHO MYTH can only be successful, if MCG shows people how to use it. Make a video series on how to build your own adventures, acutally EXPLAIN to people how this sandbox was meant to be used.
Why is there no adventure / story guide? This is the BEST feature of MYTH, the feature people that praise the game come back to everytime, the great "but" that this game has going for it, despite all its flaws.

There is only so much the community can (and properbly is willing) to do. Perhaps the "Big MYTH Book" will help with the story building, but I doubt that it will really take players by the hand and walk them trough it...

Ok, enough MYTHology for this week!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
The best news from the last video IMHO was the announcement of the guided walkthrough for the first act of the "Stone of Life" module. I second MMs request to also make a video tutorial out of it.


This was good news - I was surprised to be quite honest.

Since there was some confusion in the KS comments, I'll restate my thoughts here on the video. I think a companion video that supplements the written documentation could go a long way. It allows the team to provide anecdotal content that would never make a document.


nimmzwei wrote:
Putting the term "boardgame" on the box was a mistake from my pov. The amount of time, money and dedication required to get MYTH to the table and enjoy it is way beyond what the average person would and can expect from a boardgame. IMHO MYTH can only be successful, if MCG shows people how to use it. Make a video series on how to build your own adventures, acutally EXPLAIN to people how this sandbox was meant to be used.


Maybe 2016/17 is a new time for McG and they have new attitudes towards this topic. Early on it felt like "Sandbox"="Play it however you want". There was a real reluctance to provide any detailed framework around this concept because, according to McG, they didn't want to artificially limit people's imaginations. whistle

Personally, I think the community had done a great job creating content and showing what can be done with this "Sandbox".

BUT ... if McG plans to release more base games on the world, some additional structure might be a good thing for those folks new to the universe. We haven't heard about a Myth reprint. Personally, I doubt that's a priority for them at this point. They appear to be focussed on getting rid of excess inventory. I suppose that's probably the right decision for a company not looking to take on additional debt.

nimmzwei wrote:
Why is there no adventure / story guide? This is the BEST feature of MYTH, the feature people that praise the game come back to everytime, the great "but" that this game has going for it, despite all its flaws.


Are you talking about a guide on how to make your own adventures?

nimmzwei wrote:
Perhaps the "Big MYTH Book" will help with the story building, but I doubt that it will really take players by the hand and walk them trough it...


Agreed. This book has no hand holding elements to it. There will be some lore so story tellers can build more compelling stories into the universe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.