Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn» Forums » Rules

Subject: Vanish vs. Rin's Fury rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Melchert
Germany
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
I and my girlfriend played Rin vs. Victoria.
She used Rin's Fury and chose to target me with one damage.
I could not use vanish because i did not have the dice for it but i really want to know now what would have happend.

Vanish can be used since she targets my phoenixborn with a spell that deals damage. Then i get to cancel >the whole effect< which should include the rerolling of the dice.
Obviously it's not easy to say what to do with the already rolled dice. Are they considered to be not exhausted now ?
If so, would it not be that she could not have dealt damage and i could not use vanish in that scenario ?

Also : How do you play Victorias deck Oo ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you couldn't use Vanish because Fury targets a unit, not a phoenixborn. Golden Veil would have been better.

Edit: Oh wait you could have used vanish. It cancels everything, including the die rolling. So your opponent would not have been able to keep the dice. Here's how it works:

1. Play rin fury
2. Declare which unit or PB to hit with the damage (or none at all)
3. You may play golden veil or vanish, depending on the target.
4. Dice are rolled.
5. All frogs are converted to damage the target chosen in step two.

One of the worst rulings in the game. You'll get used to it eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Melchert
Germany
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
That is a solution. But the german card says something along the lines of 'now you may spend the just thrown dice to deal damage ...'. So it seems you have to throw the dice first and then declare the target.

My current interpretation is that my oppenent does not get any rerolled dice but thats hard to sell to someone who kind of wants that not to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Davis
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The above are correct. Vanish would prevent the dice from even being rolled if one of the potential targets was an opponent pb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Helle
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornos804 wrote:
That is a solution. But the german card says something along the lines of 'now you may spend the just thrown dice to deal damage ...'. So it seems you have to throw the dice first and then declare the target.

My current interpretation is that my oppenent does not get any rerolled dice but thats hard to sell to someone who kind of wants that not to happen.

It's a hard ruling, but it does make playing Rin's fury more strategic. You might choose to target your own Phoenixborn or unit so you can avoid possibly losing the dice due to vanish or Golden Veil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angora Patio
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am everything else than an Ashes expert, but I just noticed that the
Plaid Hat's Ashes web site has a link to a list of 'Vanish-able Cards', because "Vanish's wording is a little confusing":
http://www.plaidhatgames.com/play/discussion/vanish-able-car...
There is a special note on Rin's Fury:
"the Rin player should declare which PB the spell is targeting before they roll dice (check the section for "Card resolution" on the FAQ if you don't believe me). That means that Vanish could prevent all effects of Rin's Fury...including rolling the 5 dice!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
zwalex wrote:
I am everything else than an Ashes expert, but I just noticed that the
Plaid Hat's Ashes web site has a link to a list of 'Vanish-able Cards', because "Vanish's wording is a little confusing":
http://www.plaidhatgames.com/play/discussion/vanish-able-car...
There is a special note on Rin's Fury:
"the Rin player should declare which PB the spell is targeting before they roll dice (check the section for "Card resolution" on the FAQ if you don't believe me). That means that Vanish could prevent all effects of Rin's Fury...including rolling the 5 dice!"

It's similar to how Golden Veil counters all parts of a Summon Gilder effect, including putting a Gilder into play.

Note that Vanish only works on Rin's Fury if they target a PB ... of course Golden Veil can hit it if it targets a unit so it's important to be aware of your opponent's available dice (and therefore options) before you play your effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.