Subject: Hold Gold and Event Reveal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Two possible variants that could change the pace a bit, especially those complaining about bad draws

- At the end of the turn, a single gold card that was not used in a Defeat or Buy move can be held in a player's hand instead of discarding it then you draw up to your usual hand size.

- When an event card is drawn, it is revealed face up immediately, but not activated. The purpose behind this is to give a chance to anticipate what is going to happen and respond (e.g. Chaos and buying Dragon Slayer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jeffrey Lai
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Isaiah 53:5
badge
I'm not a real person. Just a cartoon character.
mbmbmbmbmb
We are continuing to test revisions for future editions, and I really am enjoying this gameplay modification. It further speeds up the game's pace. We may add it to our official rules in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jeffrey Lai
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Credit to Carlos Andres Giraldo Chinchilla for his suggestions that led to this new variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like the hidden events in the regular game. Gives the same suspense as the Reveal cards when you defeat an invader.

I've played the game about 3 or 4 times with the "hold gold" variant and not a single person has complained about it. Makes the game go faster just a tad bit and gives an "out" due to bad draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So just to clarify:
Quote:
- At the end of the turn, a single gold card that was not used in a Defeat or Buy move can be held in a player's hand instead of discarding it then you draw up to your usual hand size.

Do you need to do either a Defeat or Buy move, or can you just keep an unused gold card when grabbing a Campaign card or even doing nothing? It's a very similar concept to Thunderstone Advances' "Prepare" action.

Quote:
- When an event card is drawn, it is revealed face up immediately, but not activated. The purpose behind this is to give a chance to anticipate what is going to happen and respond (e.g. Chaos and buying Dragon Slayer)

Is it activated the next time the Terror Die rolls around to a 6, or sometime sooner?

I didn't feel the game was especially lacking without these variants, but it's the little things that add the sparkle, and slowing down the Event Deck a bit would be a welcome respite, giving more time for people to build their engines more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you need to do either a Defeat or Buy move, or can you just keep an unused gold card when grabbing a Campaign card or even doing nothing? It's a very similar concept to Thunderstone Advances' "Prepare" action.

You don't need to do anything. As long as the gold card wasn't used for ANYTHING, you can keep it. Only one gold card (e.g Wealth, Treasure, or Fortune)

Is it activated the next time the Terror Die rolls around to a 6, or sometime sooner?

According the original rules, when a terror die hits six, the player to your left draws the event card and leaves it front of them. When their turn starts, they do the event card first before anything else.

Before, the card would be left facedown. The variant is the card is drawn and left face up, so the active player's turn know what's coming up.

Honestly I'm not a fan of this variant but I've heard a player recommending it. I actually like a bit of the unknown in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jeffrey Lai
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to note that I am thoroughly enjoying this variant and will be very likely making it an official change in the 2nd edition.

Having the Event revealed helps to prepare and punish players in a very enjoyable way. And choosing to maybe keep some extra Gold for the next turn makes the feeling of "wasting" Gold less common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stief
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmb
We are going to try the hold gold variant. Although it doesn't seem to ever be much of a problem though if you buy gold cards at the beginning of the game and a couple of extra action cards that give you +1 with a couple of your buy turns. We are using a couple things to try to slow the game down a bit as it seems by round 4 terror die is usually ticking up once per turn.
What we do is if an event or card forces a player to discard any cards from their hand OTHER than the discard at the end of the turn..We treat that as a way to get rid of terror cards without the terror die tick penalty..almost as if they were never drawn..The game goes fast enough the way it is. We also immediately draw 6 after we discard our hand so we always have a hand of 6, therefore nullifying a change in any event type reveal rule so the players are always prepared for their next turn and have time to think about what they are going to do. So play - discard hand - terror tick - draw 6 - resolve terror tick - reveal event when terror die hits one - resolve reveal rule Really excited for some expansions for this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.