Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: should I sleeve? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelvin Ly
Canada
Etobicoke
flag msg tools
I am wondering if this game needs to be sleeved? How often are the cards being handled?My group, We use a glass table so sometimes cards are hard to pick up, noticed some tiny wear on cards from other games where theres a constant interaction with cards that are laying down and need to be picked up semi often.

[update] I ended up sleeving it, though I think I shouldve went with another brand, didnt think the ultimate guard sleeves were so thin. Feels like the inbetween child of Penny-Sleeves vs more premium ones(ultra-pro/Fantasy Flight)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No cards are shuffled mid-game, and cards are minor components in the broader scheme of things. Wear is as minimal as it will ever be...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always have to sleeve. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally (because of how minimal all the cards are used) I would not have sleeved this game. But the hype got to me and I felt sleeving everything made it more of a top notch experience while playing, if that makes any sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
No cards are shuffled mid-game, and cards are minor components in the broader scheme of things. Wear is as minimal as it will ever be...

With the exception of the Automa deck for solo play, but even then it's rare that you wind up needing to reshuffle that aside from switching to Phase II, when the Automa gets its first star from the star track card.

As for picking up cards from the table being a difficulty with some playing surfaces - The cards are stored on the game board, with players having a small hand of combat cards (Original TTR size) which you could perhaps store on your faction mat along with your coins if picking them up from the table is an issue. I can't say I recall it being for us on our glass table, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no gameplay reason to sleeve, but I did anyway as I consider this an heirloom game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Campbell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just second the notion that there is very little card handling in this game.

A small hand of combat cards that easily fit on your players faction mat if desired and a couple of objective cards that can do the same. Other than that, everything is on the board or back in the box.

I wouldn't bother sleeving

(caveat: i don't sleeve any of my games, but IF I did, I wouldn't' waste the time on doing it for this one with how little you handle the cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should always wear protection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Weberup
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xhawk wrote:
Normally (because of how minimal all the cards are used) I would not have sleeved this game. But the hype got to me and I felt sleeving everything made it more of a top notch experience while playing, if that makes any sense

I don't get that. IMO sleeving card takes away from the game experience. Apart from beeing ugly it's also impractical. It's harder to see cards and decks fall over easily. I only sleeve games with a LOT of card handling (and I generally don't like those) or when it's practical because you mark cards with a marker (warmahordes).

Don't sleeve Scythe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: should I sleeve?
JK777 wrote:
I always have to sleeve. whistle

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Up to you, its an added expenses and the cards as others have noted don't get used as they would in a deck builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
United States
flag msg tools
Cards are a pretty minor component in Scythe and are barely handled at all over the course of the entire game. You start with two objective cards, which you basically look at once, then turn face down for the rest of the game, possibly turning them over to remind yourself of their conditions. When you draw an encounter card, you look at it, pick one of three options, then place it at the bottom of the deck. When you reach the factory you draw the pile, look at them, and choose one to place face-up next to your player board for the remainder of the game, returning the pile back to its place.

The only "hand" of cards you ever have in the game are combat cards, which are drawn from a deck and kept face-down in a supply near your player board. They're only used for combat (and certain faction abilities), which means they'll sit there face-down for most of the game; you might need to pick up your hand and look at it 1-3 times in an entire game.

So really, the most wear the cards go through is when they're shuffled for initial setup, and then they're barely touched at all for the rest of the game. I could maybe see an argument for sleeving the combat cards, because combat is all about hidden information (you secretly pick an amount of military Power to spend in the fight, and play a card to add to that value; the player with the highest sum wins) -- if one of the cards gets nicked or folded or scratched a certain way, you might be able to tell what card someone is playing against if you pay real close attention to their hand of cards when they're selecting options. Even then, you could just do it under the table and there'd be no issue.

TLDR: Sleeving is not necessary. The cards are barely handled at all, are only shuffled once at the beginning of each game, and there's no need to protect hidden information on the cards themselves. Only sleeve if you're compelled to sleeve every game you own or if your group is known for having messy fingers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmb
I sleeve everything, but I can understand people saying it's not worth it due to the few use of the cards , however if you play solo I would suggest st least sleeve the AI cards (19 cards ) you have to shuffle them at the beginning and in the middle of every game, and of course always be drawing them .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve anything where you shuffle the cards in game, but not games where you shuffle a deck at the start, and then leave it.

Sycthe is well below that standard for me - the cards have less use and wear than any game with cards i can think of right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.