Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So.. I set about making an insert for this one that organized it... and did something about its table footprint if needed.

Quickly decided that the big black wargaming chit-trays had to go, so I created goods holders and off we went. So, this is how the whole thing looks on the table

The hardest part was figuring out what to do with the "luxury goods" that go on that big oval, so I came up with this - a tray for the Islands for the box. Underneath the islands is a recessed area for the "boats tray", which I probably won't use anymore with recessed areas under that to store the round -3/3x tiles, dice, moose, round cube, and oddly shaped luxury goods

So, it all fits in the box like this -

The first level has

40cm trays for
- Islands/Random Goods
- Houses and Huts
- Boat Tray
- Cards - I made two separate card holders so I could use both during play (weapons/weapon discard and occupation/occupation discard) - in the box the four slots hold Weapons, A deck, B deck, and C deck. I go back and forth with sleeves, so I made them a little loose just in case.
Stackable 22cm trays for each individual viking color. They inset a bit so they lay flush with the 40 cm layer.

The second layer has
40cm trays for
- Individual goods
- Mountain strips with attached ore/wood/stone storage. The 4p additions to the board are in recessed slots below the mountain strips
- Coins

The manuals sit on top of this tray to act as a lid with the boards on top of that.

It comes up 1.5cm short of the lid, so I used six empty punchboards beneath the bottom layer so it is flush with the top to minimize movement.

The only issue right now is the little slot I made to grab the goods tiles on the sides of the tray is a little big in the goods tray for the smallest pieces only. Because of how small they are the 2x1 tiles can come loose, so that tray will shortly have slightly smaller openings to grab tiles in the future.... However I made so many dud-trays out of orange filament that I'm out and and it will have to be white... not nearly as pretty for a picture on here.

I'm pretty thrilled - I basically learned CAD and built a 3d printer because the terrible "baggie situation" and "Sprawling tray situation" of this otherwise wonderful game was driving me batty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. Would you be willing to share the 3D files?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martystrub969 wrote:
Very cool. Would you be willing to share the 3D files?

I'd be happy to.

Two caveats,

1) Since I built my printer from scratch a few weeks ago without knowing how to do so, and it's a super cheap e-bay special it may be calibrated a bit off. Everything seems to print a smidge larger than I had planned. So whereas everything fits fine for me, I can't promise it will work as well for anyone else, or fit as snug in the box without tweaking...

2) I print with a .5mm nozzle for speed purposes - and it lays down a pass width of .6mm. So I've set the walls at 2.4mm so when a wall is both an interior and an exterior surface it doesn't have to do any filling with two outline passes.

So, I'm uncomfortable putting it out there on thingiverse or something, but if anyone wants to take a crack at it, it's pending in the file section. I'll update this when it's there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my insert today.. unfortunately I do not own a 3D printer and have to make these the old fashion way.. Arts and crafts time.. Some day.. some day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
PlanetM
badge
Gaming with the family :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerival wrote:
Just finished my insert today.. unfortunately I do not own a 3D printer and have to make these the old fashion way.. Arts and crafts time.. Some day.. some day.

Nice job. I might take a go at this to speed up set-up and take-down, although thanks to the included trays I don't consider that too big an issue with this game compared to some others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerival wrote:

That looks nice!

I've been SO bad with foam board.. My foam board disasters are what started me up - If I could use x-acto knives, glue, and foamcore that well, I wouldn't be down this path.

anyway - they're up in the file section - I hope people can use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N L
msg tools
Thanks for the files - If I start printing them today, should have the set just in time for the game to arrive. I'll let you know how they turn out - I typically have to scale up around 1% here, so I'll try 2 and cross my fingers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nicklaw17 wrote:
Thanks for the files - If I start printing them today, should have the set just in time for the game to arrive. I'll let you know how they turn out - I typically have to scale up around 1% here, so I'll try 2 and cross my fingers.

I hope they work well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie Beaudoin
msg tools
mb
Can you post your print time and settings ?
I am curious if I can speed things up a little.. I have a 3.5mm nozzle and 1,75mm filament

Right now the smallest piece would take 25 minutes and the biggest 1h30 ..
Of course I wont mind if the sizes are ok.. but if any speed improvement is possible I will take that as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could. I hit print - then went to work. Then hit print, came back before bed. Hit print, grab the piece in the morning.

Sorry. I used .5 nozzle, .2 layers and it was slow going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie Beaudoin
msg tools
mb
Ok I might try but that trick you used to have only one pass with the width of your filament will not work for me

Do you think you could take only one of your models and make it considering smaller filament ? Meaning thinner walls I guess..

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry-that would take me a bunch of time that I don't really have right now... good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie Beaudoin
msg tools
mb
No worries.. So far I have printed 3 of them and they fit perfectly.. takes time but worth it

I still print in the quickest way possible in the settings I have, it makes the walls not so well but its very fine for this insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome!

I didn't know how to use any CAD program before I made these, and haven't really made anything else so I don't know how I could easily change all the walls.

I'm glad it's working for you. Even with my settings, at the fastest speeds, running continuously, all the pieces took me four days.

I hope it works well for you - I can't imagine playing without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.