neil googe
msg tools
Ok, so lets say there was an artist out there, who was developing a set of new tiles compatible with any fantasy setting board game. So Black Plague, Arcadia Quest, Descent, Dungeon saga...

And he was doing them to a pro level and was going to have them printed at retail quality...

What kind of location would people want to see?

At the moment, this artist... if he existed... is thinking either planning out a small editable town, a bay, a castle with walk ways and bridges, and has developed a plan for a tower making it possible to go up and down the levels...

He's also thinking of developing a choose your own adventure type campaign which would come with said tiles and could also be used across platforms, so not stepping on anyones copyright toes... as well as a support web site...

You know, if such a person existed...

So...

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Uhlir
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
New tiles could be nice. But I am not sure how should they look to bring something new to Zombicide.

- We already have many types of street patterns so you can build almost any board. Maybe some "U" or "L" shapes would be nice.

- The concept of towers doesn't work very well (because of the LOS/Noise bug...so you can easily move the Zombies back and forth from a safe distance)

- Some Bridge (maybe between buildings) could be nice. But again be careful about that LOS/Noise bug.

- Also take in mind that 2x2 street Zones doesn't work very well because of Zombie splitting. So be careful with any plazas, town squares or open planes.
On the other hand I can imagine a one Zone town square for example 2x2 tiles large.

About the locations:
- I would go for a town. It offers the biggest variety. You can have many different types of buildings, bridges, river, gates, walls and ramparts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every possibility has already been exhausted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guillemette
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a graveyard. You can have mausoleums, fences or water elements to break up the space, and could do beautiful creepy trees like weeping willows and such...

I mean the artist could. If he/she existed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arena for pvp and pvz slogfest
A nice big inn/tavern
Outdoor countryside

a few ideas off the top of my head for no particular reason since no such person would probably bother making them anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Weber
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Zombicide, typical streets and buildings seem to be pretty much covered. What could be interesting is a garden or in general anything outdoor that is not a street. Or a completely different setting like sewers. But it would be necessary to make clear which zones count as "street" and which zones count as "building" ruleswise.

Edit: The insides of a castle where the corridors count as streets and the rooms as buildings (just like the hospital in modern season 3) would also be pretty interesting ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neil googe
msg tools
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Every possibility has already been exhausted.

far from it, I already have 36 different layouts not used in black plague for example, and that doesn't include dividing areas in to two or 3 space zones either. Thats literally just cutting the nine zone tile in to different shapes. If you mean location, true, but then they've certainly not been done to be used across games...

As tomas already showed, making new shapes in the 9 grid tile space is not hard at all, especially when you then start to consider zone division. Of course, something that you need to be careful with is large open spaces due to the divid rule, as also mentioned, but thats not so hard to get around with some careful division planning. As Tomas also said, larger zones for open spaces works best.

I also have tiles with more than 9 zones, play tested, that work fine. These are not pass through rooms (I've been working on an inn layout) they add at nightmare of zombies when you open a door to the particular building... which seems to be a personal taste thing, some find it too much, I found it fun.

For the towers I mentioned, I'm actually doing them multi floored, rather than towers that sit in the board so to speak, as in Wulfsburg, think multi level vaults. I was also working dungeons in a similar way.

The castles and dungeon would work, as mentioned, with corridors as the streets and rooms etc. as the buildings.

While location isn't a huge factor really, you could play this game on a completely blank board, location will add theme to the supporting campaigns that I'll release via the web site and with each tile pack.

Something else I am also looking at is tiles that aren't the 3x3, again there seems to be mixed opinions to these... but as they are also meant to be used for games across the board, having the flexibility is a bonus. At the moment each pack would come with 9 3x3 tiles and the 3 more tiles that have been divided in to different shapes. That way, black plague players get a fixed 3 tiles if they don't want to use additional shapes, but they are there for other games, but they do work with black plague if people want and the campaigns will support that.

Something I was discussing yesterday is possibly releasing the packs in a way that eventually, if you had the space, you could make a full town or city... Castle, dungeons, gardens, graveyards, farms, houses, shops, bay, the lot... Obviously this would be a long term plan and interest dependent, but, if that was the way I would take it, I would need to plan now... Of course, given the size of this game, no one would have that space, but the idea would be to build huge campaigns that move from zone to zone...

Anyway, just thoughts, at this stage I'm still doing the artwork for the packs, play testing new ideas for spaces and tiles and building the website. will take on board things said here for sure. Any other suggestions are welcome...

thanking you all kindly for your responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen dR
Belgium
flag msg tools
Looks very promising.

Perhaps adding some mini-rules is an option as well. E.g. terrain with fences so you have LoS but that you have to move around; or swampy areas that cost an extra action to move through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What about outdoor tiles? That is tiles that are outside the city? Wolfsburg already adds some tiles in a castle, but you could also do something like a cathedral. How about adding outside terrain like trees or a river which would be barriers to zombies? You can even do tiles that are on a ship. What if some of the zombies got aboard a ship before it sailed and the entire game is being played out on board the ship? You could even have multiple decks all of which connect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have mentioned or hinted at, some outdoor stuff could be useful (Forest)...

And... How about some town tiles running along side a river bank? With some wharf/jetty kinds of features, docks, etc...

Lot's of possibilities I'd think...

You know... *IF*... someone were going to tackle such a project...*Chuckle*...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Uhlir
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
I support the town riverside.

It would be nice if the tiles could match the graphic style of the existing ones so it should be possible to combine all the tiles together.
How could you achive this when you want the tiles to be usable for more games? At least the Arcadia Quest differ a lot in design...

I am not sure how would you make for example the forest transition to the town tiles. It would be a bit strange to have a sharpe line with a forest on one tile and a street on the other.
The more different environment you make the more difficult would it be to combine them together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
neilgooge wrote:
He's also thinking of developing a choose your own adventure type campaign which would come with said tiles and could also be used across platforms, so not stepping on anyones copyright toes... as well as a support web site...

My initial thoughts were that the tiles wouldn't be in demand by *boardgamers* unless they came with scenarios.

Roleplayers would be a different case, and you could make tiles compatible with a popular adventure or town. The D&D Starter Set has maps in the booklets, but no 28mm maps with 1" grids you can use with miniatures.

I know the Terra Tiles were asked for 28mm town tiles compatible with their tile sizes, and they chose not to because they wanted their tiles scale independent (ie. usable with 15mm as well). You could approach them and ask if it's okay to sell tiles that were compatible with their tile sizes.

Personally, I'd like a 28mm "instant village" tile set. The DM grabs some tiles, semi-randomly slams them onto the table, and VOILA, a map of the village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
uhlik wrote:
I support the town riverside...

...Snip...

...I am not sure how would you make for example the forest transition to the town tiles. It would be a bit strange to have a sharpe line with a forest on one tile and a street on the other.
The more different environment you make the more difficult would it be to combine them together.

Good question.

My brain picture went to something like; several tiles designed with scattered trees along an edge (first row), with perhaps one or two "rows" of mostly open terrain which would create the boarder? Some tiles could have road/ path zones running through them to connect to the edge of the village.

Another option could include town "perimeter" tiles, with stockade walls, burms, or other features to establish the edge of town?

Perhaps some combinations of all of that?

I think there are options, but you are correct in that, they'd need to be thought through so that the tiles could be functional, diverse, and logical to maintain graphic immersion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Willo
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about some underground tiles, broken up into Dark and Light zones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
skritter wrote:
What about some underground tiles, broken up into Dark and Light zones?

Well shoot, that's a good enough idea that I can see a whole game being designed around that concept...*Grin*...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Heisenbrain
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
I am the one who mods!
badge
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
mbmbmbmbmb
What i'd love to see is a "cave-entrance" or some tiles connecting the Massive Darkness and Zombicide Tiles.

As many said before outdoors would be nice, too. Like gardens, forests rivers (espacially) maybe a swamp tile (containing rules like moving through the swamp is slower or something).

Also i think you could design Castle-Walls to connect towers or build a little castle with walls around.

If there was a possibility to get them printed in nice quality, i would buy them. But you should upload the designs first, then there could be Quest designed with these Tiles in mind.
(I personally could help with a map editor extension pack, i did this for massive darkness ahead of time, and its not that complicated )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sellers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Tiles in 1x9 or 2x9 3x9 configuration to transition. Stored in a big box configuration.

Canyons with caves on the side as rooms, or connecting different games. Could introduce multiple height levels. Shrubs and boulders as line of sight blocks and moveable scenery amongst them.

Water tiles with boat tiles ontop that can move between sections of a larger map. Docks, ghost ships to board, and entrances to underwater worlds.

Atlantis style city tiles. Glass walls, so you could see the whole map, to change how monsters interact with you. Can you imagine seeing an abomination round 1, having to explore the map in a way that would keep it blocked.

Sand dune mazes of hills. Rather than your normal follow this hall, street, etc. You start at the edge, and climbing the sand dune could take 1-5 actions thus making chases much more stressful. One side of a dune is considered one room, and the other another. As you crest the top, you spawn visible areas below. Moveable terrain such as rocks, grass, trees, searchable dead bodies, material to aid in going down a hill faster (aka cardboard, etc). Oasis in the middle that could hold a super special objective.

Mountain passes, caves, cabins in the mountains, lakes at mountains, forests in the mountains, roads, rivers, statues, and portals.

Farm mazes out of corn, wheat, etc. Inside Barns.

Library mazes could be really neat where it departs from typical zombicide measurements. Isle between each bookcase could be one movement, so you could run faster between bookcases and around them. Meeting rooms on the side, entrances, etc. Old and new style.

Multilevel tiles that stack.

Hiking trails that lead to campsites, mining towns, or special places.

War zone, with moveable searchable bodies, blockades, wagons that are driveable, trench mazes, usable canons, etc.

Airports, trainstations, trucking and mailing facilities, armory or military basses, all of these could easily be different maps not seen.

I could keep on going. Would love to buy a huge box of map tiles like that for $300. And get a big box full of tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.