26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game that would appeal to kids between 5-13 years old. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seema Khan
msg tools
I'm looking for a game suggestion for my 3 boys to get on Christmas eve to play together. I'm considering one of these:

Ghost Fighting Treasure Hunters
Seven Dragons
Hare and Tortoise
Patchwork

Will any of these work? I don't want it to be too boring for my 13 year old or too difficult for my 5 year old! Do you have a suggestion that I don't have listed here? Or should I move one of the games they are getting individually and replace with one of the ones I'm thinking for the family?

Individually, here are what they are getting for themselves:

5 year old: Ticket to Ride First Journeys, Outfoxed or The Enchanted Tower

10 year old: Broom Service, Cockroach Poker

13 year old: 7 Wonders Duel, Mysterium
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fletcher
msg tools
My 6 year old loves Patchwork and is actually pretty good at it. And it is such a good game generally that there's a good chance the other kids will enjoy it.

Hare and Tortoise is slow and tortuous - I wouldnt recommend at all.

Don't know about the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
My 7 yr, old nephew likes Screaming Eagles so get a game that his brisk movement of play. Sequence is a game that my 13 yr. old nephew likes. Make sure you get a game with a good pace in order to hold your kids' attention spans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise, I would go with Tales & Games: The Three Little Pigs. It can actually get quite cutthroat which children would enjoy. Although I've found it leads to getting ganged up on pretty easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hare and Tortoise is great!

If your boys don't mind with attacking each other, maybe Black Fleet or King of Tokyo?

Edit: also Mechs vs. Minions is likely going to charm your boys. The youngest might need help with the text on the cards but the gameplay is really simple and captivating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dragon
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
Esvath wrote:

If your boys don't mind with attacking each other, maybe Black Fleet or King of Tokyo?

Edit: also Mechs vs. Minions is likely going to charm your boys. The youngest might need help with the text on the cards but the gameplay is really simple and captivating!

I came to suggest King of Tokyo. Not sure if the 5 year old can roll the giant dice, so he might need a dice cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jones
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
Instead of Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise, I would go with Tales & Games: The Three Little Pigs. It can actually get quite cutthroat which children would enjoy. Although I've found it leads to getting ganged up on pretty easily.

I actually strongly prefer The Hare and the Tortoise from the series over any I've played, and it works well with young and old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ice Cool

maybe? Works for 5 year olds and support 4 players.. you should take a look at the video of Watch it Played about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
5 year old Sunken treasure / pirates gold....no brainer and everyone else will enjoy it as well even if they don't admit it. Maybe Terror in meeple city as well

13 year old. Resistance or memoir 44

Best family = Survive escape from Atlantis, King of Tokyo, Dixit, telestrations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cockroach poker would work. Maybe 5 y.o. would quite get the lying/bluffing part - depends whether they enjoy playing together for the sake of playing or are they very competitive.

oh - The Enchanted Tower definitely. Great game - simple, yet evocative. And it has team play - 1 against everybody else. So the olderst could play (initially) alone as the evil wizrard.

Ideas from out gaming workshops (6 to 14, had younger ones occasionally).

1. stacking/dexterity games. When it comes to being skillful with fingers age isn't as much of an obstacle (either way).
- Rhino Hero - this is dirt cheap (and adults have fun as well), just get this.
- Animal Upon Animal - spatial imagination matters, but the game might appear childish to 13 y.o. (even if it's harder than Rhino Hero).
- Catch a Falling Star - pick up sticks in reverse, some boys in particular love this (more open than both games above, but less obviously engaging, more for "technical" types)
- PitchCar - flicking one's disk around the racetrack. For me it gets fun if at least 5 people play.
- Diego Drachenzahn - kids game of flicking marbles. not terribly hard, but cute enough.
- A la carte a bizzare and unique game you should look into. Best played at home (pieces can fall off the table). It's a cooking game (yup, but boys we played with loved it - there's a male chef on the cover) combined with dexterity elements. The youngest will need initial guidance. Really cute stuff.

2. speed games
- Spot it/Dobble - just get one of these (there are many versions)
- Halli Galli - probably the most simple, stupid one, but kids have fun with it.
- Pick-a-Dog - the youngest one would need help (initially at least). might work. do insist on storytelling variant.
- Tambuzi ... den Letzten trifft der Blitz! - musical chairs the boardgame. it looks neat and comes with sound making doodad you need to hit (batteries not included).

3. push your luck games
. Incan Gold (5 y.o. will need some help with the rules)
- Duck, Duck, Bruce (aka Kleine Fische) - this one's really simple

4. Dice games
- Bang the Dice game - this worked fine, but at least 4 players need to play (the youngest might need some help from an adult)
Pyramid - this one would be perfect, if you could find it (I think it's not in print and never was available in US, because small magnets something). It's asymmetrical - mummy VS adventurers (treasure thieves) who play each for their own. It would give the olderst a good role to play and it's simple, yet engaging.

5. non trivial kids games
- The Magic Labyrinth - memory + roll and move
- Spinderella - best roll and move (i.e. a bit evil). The youngest will need some coaching, but should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1King of Tokyo
+1 Mechs vs. Minions, but good luck on availabilty before christmas. You have to order it direct from the league of legends website and next shipment not due till end of December i think

PitchCar
Incan Gold
Sushi Go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Kirksey
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:

+1 for King of Tokyo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karuba might be a good option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pressley
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
My kids (4 and 7) have really been enjoying New York 1901. I quite enjoy it, too. We give the the youngest an extra worker, and she focuses on helping to build up New York City, while I handicap myself with one fewer workers. It's a fun challenge for me and scratches the gaming itch, while the kids have a blast. Win, win all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie L
msg tools
How about Camel Up?

My boys (ages 9 and 6) enjoy the Hare and the Tortoise and so do I, so I suspect your 13 year old would like it, too.

Patchwork is great but it's a 2-player game. Your five year old will understand it fine, but he won't likely be much competition for the older kids.

+2 King of Tokyo

A few other ideas:
Zombie Dice
The Great Dalmuti (although maybe more of a stocking stuffer)
Dr. Eureka
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Alpen Express and Speakeasy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ard Mhacha
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have found that Forbidden Island works well for boys in that age range unless they have an aversion to co-op games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bess
United States
Phillipsburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just gave my niece Dr. Eureka for her twelfth birthday and everyone at the party had fun. We played 4 times consecutive and everyone, adults included, hopped in and played a turn and enjoyed it. It was fun and everyone was competitive so it was great for kids to play with adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
games that worked with my five year old that were also good for adults are:

The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Carcassonne: Over Hill and Dale
Terror in Meeple City
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise
King of Tokyo
Incan Gold
Karuba
River Dragons
Celestia
Crossing
GUBS: A Game of Wit and Luck
Midnight Party
Loony Quest
Dream Home
Sushi Go!
Dead Man's Draw - the captain carcass version is a little more kid friendly.

The one that comes out most is little prince and is really nice to play. Tales and games, hare and tortoise and survive also come out quite a lot. her favourite is loony quest but they should all work just about depending on what would appeal to them.

She's just turned six now and thinking about the 13 year old and what would appeal to him and possibly work with the five year old or will soon (depending on how you feel about content), she also likes DungeonQuest, will sit through Betrayal at House on the Hill (can't be baddy at end) and we're just about to try Room 25 - this isn't what it appears at first going by the description so watch the play through lol! Okay there's a couple of death situations but its mostly to do with a maze you've got to find a way out of and you can play co-operatively if you wish or competetively. She also plays Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) with family and we're just about to try Beasty Bar, Jamaica and Colt Express as she's coped well with pre programmed movement in river dragons.

Her strategy's not 100% in one or two of them but she enjoys playing none the less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My missus looks after kids and Carcassonne consistently wins for our mixed age groups ranging from 5-15 .
Farmers can have the day off when the young ones play.
I have even had parents get the game because the children have mention how much fun it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
False Maria
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
My 8 year old begged me to let her play Agricola All Creatures Big & Small over the weekend. I was really hesitant, but after two games where I guided her and warned her of really silly moves/choices, we played a third game more or less unassisted, and only lost by a handful of points.

I'm definitely going easy on her by not making deliberate "take that!" moves to trip her up.

Still, depending on your kid, this could be a contender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seema Khan
msg tools
I already ordered Patchwork since it was a good deal on Amazon so they are definitely getting that one!

We have and love a lot of the games that were mentioned: King of Tokyo, Sequence, Dixit, Magic Labryinth, Animal upon Animal, Sushi Go Party, Zombie Dice, Survive: Escape from Atlantis.

I'll definitely be looking into the others mentioned. And we have a few of the ones that were mentioned that we haven't even played yet!! :-D

And I think I'll definitely get The Enchanted Tower and Outfoxed. He's 5, cute and my baby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
False Maria
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
I will also say Carcassonne without farmers is great for this age range.

I would say Animal Upon Animal might be a little too young for this age range. I picked it up for my daughter when she was 3-4, and she barely got into then, and has basically zero interest in it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb W
Canada
flag msg tools
I also came to suggest King of Tokyo. Wide age range of appeal and the monster graphics really appeal to my boys, ages 7 & 11.

My kids love Dixit too, but the parents have tired out on it. We got an expansion to bring it some more life, but still try to steer them to something else.

Labyrinth is great, although my younger one does get frustrated sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.