Subject: "Let's Get Kah-Runchy!" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
"Its eyes were widening, widening, and in those black pupils, each as big as a softball, Ritchie saw the mad darkness that must exist over the rim of the universe; he saw a shitty happiness that he felt would drive him insane."
mbmbmbmbmb
GAME 1
Slaughterball arrived yesterday. After a delicious dinner, my wife, youngest son and I sat down to give it a play My wife chose the Valkyries, my son, Sword of Damocles, and I took Nemesis.

"Ladies and gentlemen, let's get Ka-run-chy!"

The first round was a bit clunky as I scrambled to reference rules I had already read several times, but by second round we had found our arena legs (and fists) and were getting down with the destruction.

Valkyries Had an early lead scoring gracefully and effortlessly with the ball and pummeling with their maulingly-manicured fists.

Sword of Damocles enjoyed a rousing crowd enthusiasm for their current champion status.
They spent many moments flexing for fans than seeking the slaughter.
Bringing guns to a knife fight.

The Grecian growl bellowed not much bite, though that wasn't for a lack of trying.
They attempted many chops but came up empty and/or penalized
"Send in the Butcher!"

TeamNemesis experienced the penalty box. So much so that a whole other level of mind-games and intimidation happened off-arena as well as on.
A picture is worth a thousand words fists.

Many attempts were made to injure prone athletes, but the downed athletes just weren't having it.

Even the nimble and sure-footed Razors had reason to rumble.
Surely, those four arms can do more than throw and catch!

Be Bach in a minuet. Went Chopin!

The battle continued and teamNemesis found themselves steadily gaining on and tying with the Valkyries.

The final round found teamNemesis's Razor attempting to score a final, game-winning goal. The multi-limbed athlete once fumbled (thank you very much,
Sword of Damocles), but was able to regain the ball and just barely shoot a 4-point goal.

Victory for team Nemesis!

Scrimmage mode Slaughterball is everything I hoped it would be! My son enjoyed it and would play it again. My wife liked it, too. Downtime between turns was a concern, but once we got rolling on the flow of our turns, the game's pace was good. Great fun! We're fans for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE THE PENALTY BOX CAGE!!!

Great report for a great game. I played it mostly with two, the one time I played with three it was two new players and neither of them really took to it. Hopefully i'll get to give it another go with three or four.

When are you coming over for a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
"Its eyes were widening, widening, and in those black pupils, each as big as a softball, Ritchie saw the mad darkness that must exist over the rim of the universe; he saw a shitty happiness that he felt would drive him insane."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Reed. Serendipity struck with that toy cage. It was laying about in the front room from my son's playing earlier in the day. I thought it looked perfect, but would have been more effective if it had a Carnage Butcher in it. Those green guys look great. Yeah, it would be fun to toss a ton o' slaughter dice with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAME 2
My Carnage wife and her Sword of Damocles husband played again after dinner. The goal gates never opened (though thanks to an Onslaught phase oversight, we did have them open during some of the images) and she beat me by two points.
Some shots of the slaughter:

Two-player game played much quicker.

The victor team...Carnage!
By the way, their sculpts are awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely love these Jonan! So glad that your family took to the mayhem so well! Injuries in scrimmage are definitely harder to come by, but it's a great lesson in proper interference usage in order to better the odds by removing dice. I think that your penalty box cage is tall enough to even hold the towering Gruesomes butcher. Great stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, ogmund prime. Slaughterball moves quickly in two-player mode.
Card familiarity and strategies are becoming apparent. I've since gone back and watched Erik's YT video of the two-player scrimmage game to confirm rule compliances with scoring, prone-age, and interference.

Slaughterball is very much like Heroscape or Rum & Bones as a fast, theme-drenched miniatures n dice-chucking romp! I'm loving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
I thought it looked perfect, but would have been more effective if it had a Carnage Butcher in it.

You're gonna need a bigger cage! Those Carnage Butchers get mean, also you will need someone to clean up when they are done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Kjerland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Jonan,

Very cool game reports and nice pics! I'm glad everyone's having fun with the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ErikFrog wrote:
Jonan,

Very cool game reports and nice pics! I'm glad everyone's having fun with the game!
Duuuuuude! Thanks! It's not possible without you. And thank you again for the very cool game. I've been 'liking' the images on FB and like I stated there, the amount of stats and information you kept track and detail of was astounding. Sure sign of a quality game right there.
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAME 3
An impromptu 4-player game this afternoon with my youngest son, my local gaming buddy and friend, and his oldest son.
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We had a sliceful of fun tossing, penalizing, pummeling, brutalizing, tenderizing, slaughtering, defiling, vengeancing, smashing, interfering, crushing, foot-in-face-ing, and of course scoring.

I was team Nemesis
My son, Carnage
Jetcougar, Valkyries
Lil' jetcougar, Sword of Damocles

Some snapshots of the game.

My players get penalized and what do they do! Heftin on their shoulders golden beauties Rallying their fans to toss a twelve-pack or two of Tox-9.

I found a fan of the game.

My Nemesis Razor made a 6-point shot.
My best yet.
We ended the game a round short. Sword of Damocles and Nemesis tied, so lil jetcougar and I had a roll-off. He rolled many more knives than me. Nice work, dude!

The winner of game three...
Sword of Damocles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a good, fun game. I had hoped the game would be a nice combination of Deathrow and Thunder Road. Slaughterball did not disappoint.

A Rollerball UFC mash-up on the original Xbox

The player stats were simple to grasp.
Reminds me of Thunder Road!

I do feel that Johan the Younger did have it out for the luscious ladies of lacerations, da Valkyries!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathrow video game looks cool. Jonan the Younger had it out for everybody, though he did let dad slide at one point without interfering with a Chop in which one of my players participated. Pre-game small bribe of holo-pallet of Tox-9 for Carnage will do that.

Thanks for playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAME 4
Carnage Dad
vs
Sword of Damocles Son

Tonight’s game saw my youngest son attempting to win his first game of Slaughterball.
Proceed on through this pictorial session to bear witness to his goal-throwing skills!

After opening the goals and then throwing the ball, my Razor realizes...

Last round and my Razor expended all his movement getting to the ball, hence the piddly goal-length attempt.

A very desperate attempt to catch up some points.

The winner of game four...
Sword of Damocles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Kjerland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Excellent pictorial carnage! I felt like I was in the stands!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ErikFrog wrote:
I felt like I was in the stands!

You were. Remember?

"Sir, I need to check your holo-ticket.
It appears you've snuck down from the beta-bleachers and are occupying an exclusive skybox seat reserved for our most respectable clientele.
We need to remove you from the stadium.
You may retain your Tox-9 and snyth-nachos."

Great game!
Thanks, Erik!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAME 5
My wife, bless her husband-pleasing ways, suggested we go at it again with the Slaughter, so we set and began:
My wife, Sword of Damocles
Nemesis for me.

The ball scattered in her slice and she did a nice little opening move.

On the second round, she brought up her Butcher and took down mine.

Later, Nemesis had a chance to return the favor and gang up on one of her own.

Nemesis started early attempting to make a couple of long goals, but it wasn't working for me.
We soon did get some goal points up on the board.

My Razor did get a nice long one off.
It's nice like that.

The luck was not with my wife on this game.
Sword of Damocles made several very-doable shots, but the dice weren't having it.

I had a chance to return my Butcher from the Penalty Box and into her home slice!
He caused much havoc.

Damocles's numbers dwindled considerably.

While team Nemesis still had some luck on their side.

The clock ran out and Nemesis walked away with an assured victory.
Damocles hobbled.

Victory for team Nemesis!

I hope my wife still will play the game with me.
blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAME 6
Exhibition Mode!
I played an early morning solitaire, 2-player game to get a feel for the abilities and team compositions.
Valkyries
Standard team composition with these ladies, but their abilities are quite thematic and a ton o' fun.
Sword of Damocles
Are crazy good with their three Razors with fancy abilities

The winner of game six...
Sword of Damocles

GAME 7
Scrimmage Mode
Jetcougar hopin' for a Valkyries Victory
H_E_H playing the carvin' Carnage.
Let's roll!

This was the first game I got to show off my new, steely DIY Slaughterball.
Serendipity struck me again as I found this bearing in the garage.
A washer and hot glue gun got me a hefty, shiny, but portable playing piece for the game!
I love it.

Some action in-game action shots:
Butchers' brawl!

Cleaver with a tasty rimjob

Missed goal!

The more I play Carnage, the more their sculpts confirm to me they are the coolest sculpts in the base game.
The spiky boots, hooked noses, cool poses.
They're are something to behold...and fear!
This Razor's currently doing the "Hip-hop Hurray ho, hey-ho" dance for his fans.

Jetcougar mowed down the composition with his lovely ladies.
The winning team of Game 7,
Valkyries!

Good game girls uh, I mean, jetcougar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Kjerland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
I'm still enjoying your game reports! Cool photos and humor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a good competitive match even with the insanely frustrating dice rolls I suffered. It was maddening.

I look forward to playing exhibition matches to take advantage of more die sides. Frakking dice! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ErikFrog wrote:
I'm still enjoying your game reports! Cool photos and humor!
Thanks, Erik. The game's the best. Keep making more!

jetcougar wrote:
It was a good competitive match even with the insanely frustrating dice rolls I suffered. It was maddening.
It's the golden amazon athletes. They're so effective diverting and distracting, it cripples their own dice rolls. I bore witness to the dice's hampered rolls due to their idolatry of their feminine masters!
surprise

jetcougar wrote:
I look forward to playing exhibition matches to take advantage of more die sides. Frakking dice! angry
Indeed it's a good time.
The roll results will always even themselves, but the question is if they'll do so in the span of 6 rounds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vacation Solitaire Games
My Thanksgiving vacation this year always sees a spike in logged game plays and 2016 was no exception. Very early chilly mornings in the Sierra Nevadas leant a perfect opportunity for me to discover exhibition mode Slaughterball with a piping cup of coffee, classical music soothingly broadcast from a radio, the room gradually warming up from the gas-fueled faux wood-burning stove and the rays of the returning sun in a orange-pink slow burn declaring a new day of gaming was upon me.

Rays of a new day over the the pit.

A typical early morning dining room table setup for Slaughter!

Discovering the strengths and weaknesses of the teams with their varied compositions and abilities was of course very exciting. Sword of Damocles was the most straight-forward in expectations while Nemesis won the majority of the games.

The two teams who fascinated me most were the winged ladies and the terribly frightening fighters of team Carnage. It took a second playthrough with Valkyries to understand abilities such as Divert, Direct and Beckon. Very thematic and influencing abilities from the amazon athletes.

Now Carnage, oh my spilled Tox-9, what an entertaining and frightful discovery they were to uncover. The utter nastiness of the Slashers and Butchers with abilities Awesome Brute, Automatic Carve, Star Brawler and Dirty Stomper! These guys are brutal.

It’s still early in my exhibition learning, but I found myself discarding Interrupt cards in order to draw more cards with a chance to acquire those skill boosting bonus like Burst of Speed, Sharpshooter, and of course, BRUTE. Just as lucrative was pulling up those Penalty Expires cards.

In one game against Sword of Damocles who went first, Carnage was able to scatter the ball to their side of the pit. The Butcher held the metal sphere and the team never opened the portals.
Team Damocles found themselves scattering about the perimeter of the arena while Carnage spread out to beat down the little red wimps. With two Butchers and Cleavers, the team can take chances with fouls as there is still another of the position stalking the pit looking to bash some more heads.

In another game against Valkyries, Carnage also scored first ball possession, but it was recovered by the ladies in Shot Clock/Fancy Footwork card combo.
So Carnage was not able to deny goals for the opponents by playing ball keepaway, but the ladies had absolute terrible shot accuracy and several of their goal attempts failed to capitalize on points. Carnage was more than happy to oblige and reply to those short-comings.

GAME 8
Exhibition Mode!
Sword of Damocles
Nemesis
Coming soon...

GAME 9
Exhibition Mode!
Nemesis
Carnage
Coming soon...

GAME 10
Exhibition Mode!
Valkyries
Carnage

This game session features dialogue broadcast from the players' helmet communication systems.
Let's listen in...

GAME 11
Exhibition Mode!
Sword of Damocles 3 points
Carnage 13 points WIN
Right out of the gate, the Mean Green denied Damocles any sort of ball possession. The red fled when they probably should have dealt with the emerald menace head-on. By the time Carnage opened the goal doors, it was so late in the game that the Sword, with so little left of their team, had even less opportunities to cleave the sizeable deficit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Kjerland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Jonan, more exciting conflict! Woot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.